[BNW] Playtesters Needed - Covert Operations mod

And just a couple of other questions^^
- Does set a spy (vanilla) in one of your cities up this city Counter Intelligence level ? same if you set a spy on an enemy city, will your Ops get more chance to success ?
- Can you know by rumor the identity of an Ops attacker who do not target one of your cities while the target civ don't know it ? if yes can you share information like in vanilla spy system ?

@havox79 - you bring up an obviously good point. It's actually kinda funny - I started out this mod trying to recreate the "Spy" unit from Civ2 that I loved so much. Just loved maneuvering them all over the battlefield, planning out grand strategies of use, etc.

To dress it up even more, I'd planned that in V2, to give them an "attack animation" (sort of like when the Great Prophet builds a Holy Site). Just thought this approach was more appealing to the gaming experience.

Unfortunately, in early testing it became obvious to me, that the AI's mismanagement of the units meant you either made the units weak (therefore why bother) or you handed the human player a huge advantage. Neither of those options appealed to me. So, I started this hybrid version of the mod, and so far, at least what I'm seeing in testing, is that the balance of power isn't pushed too far outta whack.

One of the things I've learned modding is that no matter how hard you try to make a mod compatible, there are players out there with just the right combination of 60 mods loaded that will break the game for them. I've started to try and find ways to at least lower the chances of that happening, which sometimes means a compromise that lowers some of the things you'd like to do with the mod. For example, changing the TopPanel UI will break compatibility with a host of popular mods, so I'd prefer to avoid that just about every time. There's a top line menu button (called "Additional Information") that is fairly easy to add a menu option to, but it's a lot of clicks to get there.

I think I could figure out a way to layer a button on top of the "Espionage Overview" popup that a human player could use to launch Covert Ops - if we ever decide to give up on the units entirely. At least this way, I wouldn't rewrite any UI's which should at least make the mod much, much more compatible.

To answer your questions, yes the presence of a friendly spy in a target city lowers the chance of a successful attack and increases the chance of identifying the attacker. I don't have a corresponding buff if a friendly spy is in an attacked city. That's actually a very good idea, btw. It would take 2 lines of code, and will definitely be in the next version. Thanks!

Concerning the "Rumor" report - I have code in my test version of the mod (part of the Mission Warner Component) - that restricts reports about AI-on-AI operations so that you would only receive a report if you have met the attacking AI civ. It wouldn't be much trouble to add a met target civ. I'd also probably need to ensure the message would use "unknown" as the adjective for either the attacker or the target civ if they were not known to the human player. Another good catch.

I've kept that restricting code out of the mod so far, so players can see information about other Covert Ops that are happening across the world more often. Eventually, I'll add it in - with the changes that you've suggested!

There's a top line menu button (called "Additional Information")
I think that's what I wanted to talk about xD ( sorry english not my native language )
That's used by a lot of mod to add a new panel, but I understand that's not the best way to add a "vanilla like" new function.
But despite of that you can be sure I will try your mod :p if the fake AI is balanced that's not a great problem, I even want to say that's your mod is great step compared to the "great spy mod" in which AI do anything, no ops nor diplomatic reaction...

Thanks, @havox79 - appreciate the help. I'm quite concerned on getting the numbers right - the chances of mission success for each operation, the chance for an international reaction, the severity of the reaction, chance of attacking operator survive, are the international reactions too severe or not severe enough, etc.

Also need feedback on any/all of the features about the AI - does Alexander attack too much, does any of the AI attack too little, does the AI have too much advantage NOT having to maneuver units halfway around the world to attack, etc.

A lot of the "settings" for these issues have been fairly genericized - meaning all missions carry about the same chance of success/reaction/survival. Obviously, this is not intended for the final version, but it seemed like a good place to start - testers have to see a high chance of success for the "steal city" mission during testing. If it only works 2% of the time (the basic planned amount), then it's likely they'll never see it work - but during the attempts they'll be quite familiar with the global community declaring war on them as a result...

So- I think the numbers are set at 50% chance of mission success, 75% of operator survival, 10% chance of international reaction, and 75% operator stays in place after the mission. Should help testing nicely, but is nowhere near what the final numbers should be. I can take a guess at it, but what seems right to me may break the mod for other players. Of course, I'll probably be tweaking these numbers as long as I can support the mod, but I still want to get the best numbers possible in there.

I'm not surprise the Great Spy mod design approach for using units is hit or miss. It basically relies on flavors and other game concepts that aren't very effective at getting units to behave in a planned manner. Originally, I tried this, with a combination of LUA-driven code (the wonderfully imprecise "pushmission" method...) but even with a lot of code applied, the units still behaved in a very erratic, unconvincing way. The AI was just too easy to beat. So, if I made the units weaker to limit the human player advantage, the missions didn't do enough damage for anyone to want to assume the risk/cost of using them. So if the units are too much a pain to use, what have the mod in the first place? At one point during development - I had just started using the "simulated" AI attacks, but would spawn an AI unit just before the attack somewhere near the target city, then remove them after the attack. They popped out of nowhere (like submarines do when they attack) then disappeared a few seconds later. Was a bit confusing, which is why I was going to try to add an animation like when the Great Prophet builds a Holy Site - a couple seconds of "dancing" to get the human player's attention. Eye candy, but not much else, so eventually I dropped AI unit concept entirely.

And finally, let me say, I think your English is wonderful! You've given me 4-5 great suggestions already that I believe will make the mod much better. You've also given me a problematic suggestion (removing units entirely) which is actually quite good as well, but one the requires major adjustments to both the code and my own concept of what would make the mod even better. It's causing me to have to really THINK about how to make the mod the best it can possibly be, and challenging my fundamental assumptions about what I was trying to do, what I want to do, and what I really should to to make this mod as good as I think it can be.

Hum... the idea of just spawn a unit, do animation and then remove it is pretty interesting, it can hide the fact that no AI units will crosses the map with the excuse : that's because they are spy ! they are hidden ! ^^
After all if I understand well the IA, they do not "see" the player Ops units or much precisely they see them but react only to Ops so same result as the player.

Actually, @havox79, I'm really starting to lean towards eliminating the units altogether and tie the Covert Ops into the Espionage Overview UI. Just seems more fair, and something I can better keep balanced between the AI and the human player.

I'm thinking a button on the bottom-right side of the Espionage Overview UI that says "Launch Covert Op" - and only allow attacks in cities where you have a normal "spy" from the game. This approach will also allow me to clean up the code significantly and thereby make it more stable.

The only real question would be if I should replace the UI - which makes the mod incompatible with any other mod that replaces the Espionage Overview UI. But seriously, how many mods out there do that?

It's also possible I can "layer" a button on top of the UI, which is what I'm doing now with the Unit Panel UI. It won't cause any incompatibility problems, but is a but sloppier in execution and not always easy to get buttons to appear and disappear when I want them to.

So, I guess I'll keep the testing window open for anther week or so, but after that, I'll really need to get feedback from anyone playing - first about keeping units on the map, and/or any other fixes needed by the mod. Sometime around the 3rd of February, I'll ask again.

Appreciate all the feedback!

Thanks @Tekamthi! I appreciate any and all input on how to make this better.

One thing I have to warn you about - I've never modded for multiplayer before (although I think that's my next project...).

So, I'm not sure if there are enough protections in the code for this. Might be a bumpy ride. Appreciate any suggestions you have to improve that or how to approach it - if you come up with any.

Top Bottom