Please improve the Naval System

andrewgprv

Second Class Citizen
Right now in Civ and PTW spending resources to become a naval power is a waste. This could also turn into a waste of a trait (seafaring) in Conquest.

Untill the time of the Steam Engine Naval Travel was the fastest and most prefred travel. Yet in the game any land unit on a road travels much much faster then any boat.

I had an idea to improve blockaiding in Civ. Placing a Warship next to an enemy port should initiate a blockaide of that city. While blockaided that city should not recieve anything from it's sea squares, no commerce, no food, no resources. This would make blockaiding a worthwhile goal and help to make naval power more realistic.

I agree that a great way to establish a naval blockade is to occupy only one square adjacent to a harboring city, since you can't literaly dock your ship right at their harbor.

And yes, there is a great movement imbalance between land and sea units.

My biggest petpieve is that naval ships that have radar don't see far enough.

For example, seeing two squares away is not enough to protect my radar equipted carrier from a five-square-moving battleship. I should be able to see that battleship maybe five squares away then attack it with my fighters that are loaded on my carrier.

In real life, radar equipted, fighter loaded carriers made battleships obsolete because the carriers can see far enough and the fighters do the attacking. But in the game, battleships remain the lions of the sea.

yeah i'd like it your naval units could shoot aircraft that bomb it. In real life destroyers etc... could knock a health bar of an enemy aircraft. Also i'd like to be able to attack naval units in their harbors rather than being unable to do it in PTW. This means you could launch a suprise attack on an enemy like the Japs did on the Yanks. Naval bases would make this possible but would it almost make harbors redundant or could they compliment each other?

Supposedly, you'll be able to destroy ships/aircraft in port/on the ground in C3C without actually capturing the city.

I disagree about the Carrier. You should have to guard it against attack from Battleships with other ships, or else do aerial surveillance so you can spot and bomb enemy surface units before the reach your Carrier.

Oh you'v just reminded me i'd like to have the choice of keeping aircraft or naval units you capture. It is so annoying when you see aircraft or ships being destroyed- The Nazis before invading the USSR used about 1/3 of captured military equipment in their invasion!

whoops sorry 1/3 of their invasion force was captured equipment!

Top Bottom