1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ploepe's Fantasybuttoncorner

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Graphics Modpacks' started by Ploeperpengel, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Kelric

Kelric Chieftain

Well my initial thoughts are yet another fantasy mod. With Kael's permission I am going to be using Fall From Heaven 1.0 as a base since they've done some great legwork there. However, I'll be changing almost everything it contains to create an entirely different world. I'll use their promotion and spell system, with a few changes. The tech tree is going to be streamlined, but almost all of the techs will be different and hopefully I can work it so I have more techs in there (I like long, long games). Religions are going to have their own miniature tech trees with a Light and Dark side. I don't yet now if it's possible, but I'm hoping that I can set the game to realize that once you research a 'Light' tech, you can't research it's counter on the 'Dark' side of the religion. If not, I'll probably eliminate the conflicting sides of each religion. Using ideas I've gathered over the years and some books/movies/games I have a ton of back story that is going to be included in the Civilopedia for the world.

For now initial builds are simply going to be for myself as I have no modding experience and have a lot of details to iron out, but if it progresses well I'll consider releasing it. I think I can learn XML decently enough to put in the basic changes, but advanced work and any python stuff is what I'll need help with down the line. I also have no graphic experience. If I think my basic work is good enough, I'll start trying to draw in outside help.

It's going to be interesting trying not to screw it up. :suicide:

Also, I'm not known for my patience with pet projects like this. ;)

2. Ploeperpengel

Ploeperpengel academic precarity

Know what you mean, same with me I'm not patient enough for learning pythonstuff. Xml is understandable though, though I havened mastered it yet.
    What's the Setting, I mean the gamesworld?

3. Kelric

Kelric Chieftain

Old World vs. New World idea with magic and technology coexisting. I'm thinking of using more steampunk ideas rather than following human technological advances, but I don't know much about steampunk worlds. Plus that would involve unit creation for real polish and I don't know anyone who can get new unit models into Civ4. Technology is going to get to at least an 18th century level, maybe 19th, but no further.

Long back story short (err, as short as I can get it), the Old World has been settled and civilized for thousands of years with a number of empires and they've run out of room. The races there are constantly at war with each other and upon hearing of a rich new land they all jostle for position to conquer it. The New World has had civilization for a much shorter time and really have only known one empire and some barbarians on the fringes. The empire is growing weaker, the barbarians are splintering away and they all know nothing of the coming invasions. The Old World invades, the New World actually throws them back and a new power there rises.

All actual gameplay is going to be geared towards just playing a game with no relation to the story, but the back story in the Civilopedia and descriptions and quotes is hopefully going to be extensive.

If I can get my technology tree idea of one branch of research disallowing another branch, religion is going to play a large part in the game. If I can't, then we'll see.

4. Ploeperpengel

Sounds interesting,

let me know if you need 2D Art for it. I'm starting to get routine at that.;)

5. Kelric

Kelric Chieftain

I probably will need some. Right now I'm fleshing out my world and ideas and waiting for FFH 1.0 to be released. Once that gets done I can dig into those files and work out what I want to change.

6. Mackster

Mackster Chieftain

Excellant buttons Ploeperpengel! :goodjob: I am going to add all of these to what you have already provided for the Wheel of Time scenario/mod!

7. Ploeperpengel

That's fine with me,

make sure you get the flags! They may need a little reworking maybe but it's better than nothing I think.

8. Ploeperpengel

We all are waiting aren't we?;)

9. Kelric

Kelric Chieftain

I can't even play regular Civ anymore. I need me some FFH.

10. Ploeperpengel

haha,

know what you mean. But to pass the time or even more the ancient mediteran is HOT too!

11. Kael

Kael Deity

Another good set of buttons in set 3 Ploeperpengel. Some of the icons though don't have much contrast in the colors so it will make it difficult to see when they are shrunk.

I hope someone makes some nice 3d dragon models that do justice to these nice dragon buttons. :)

12. Ploeperpengel

I'll fix this in future posts. Just didn't have the time to check them all in the game while making them. Hope that anyone else tell me which ones are usesless so that I can remove and maybe rework them.

13. Kael

Kael Deity

Set 4 is very nice, much better color contrast on the button than in set 3 (which will make them easier to see in game). Thanks!

Personally I need lots of fantasy buildings. I have a lot of new buildings coming in phase 2 and it extremly hard to find many decent fantasy building pictures.

14. Ploeperpengel

What kind of buildings do you need? Can you pm me a list then I'll try finding some for you!:sniper:

15. J_Period

J_Period gone :(

very cool :D- you included my favorite model as the High Elf Ranger!
    thanks
    j

16. Ploeperpengel

Glad you like it:)

17. Kael

Kael Deity

Those buildings are perfect, and I really like the contrast on the pictures. siloettes are so nice for button art because they are easy to identify. Thanks Ploeperpengel!!!

18. Ploeperpengel

Glad you like'em. Maybe you noticed I reworked one ofthe dwarvenbuilding to have better contrast. If you like the motive of some buildings of my earlier sets but that doesn't have a good look on screen tell me and I'll rework it. That's just a couple of minutes work.

19. RogerBacon

RogerBacon King

Great buttons. Those of us who are artistically-challenged really appreciate it.
    How about some angels/demons buttons? There are some models of angels (winged swordsman) on the forum but no button to go with it?

Roger Bacon

20. Ploeperpengel

Yes, good idea! and should be possible as soon as my i-net connection runs stable again(it's quite a pain right now searching for motives:mad: ) and after the next version of Warhammer is uploaded of course until then I'm pretty occupied.

edit: and thx glad you like the buttons:)