POLL: Should we merge the (2) through (5) mods into a single mod?

Should we merge the (2) through (5) mods into a single mod?

• Total voters
Hi. I have 200 mods in use along with VP and unfortunately the community is not updating them. Only a few like Adan Slavo keep them up to date. I suppose this would cause problems with many of them. From what I've read most use additional mods along with VP. I suppose that it would bring us several compatibility problems. I think it would be the end of time. The Total Apocalypse (?). My vote is not positive.

Hi. I have 200 mods in use along with VP and unfortunately the community is not updating them. Only a few like Adan Slavo keep them up to date. I suppose this would cause problems with many of them. From what I've read most use additional mods along with VP. I suppose that it would bring us several compatibility problems. I think it would be the end of time. The Total Apocalypse (?). My vote is not positive.
There aren't really that many mods that depend on VP. Most are still being maintained and those that aren't can be done by the VP devs or even yourself. It's just a simple matter of modifying the modinfo files.

There aren't really that many mods that depend on VP. Most are still being maintained and those that aren't can be done by the VP devs or even yourself. It's just a simple matter of modifying the modinfo files.

not true… some mods add dependency within their sql files.

not true… some mods add dependency within their sql files.

If they are referencing buildings/units/policies etc. added by VP or to be merged submods (CSD, C4DF, More Luxuries) they are safe, and that's most of the mods I've encountered. If not let me know and I'll fix them.

I doubt all 200 will need to be fixed. In any case, modmods that get broken in the process will be fixed&re-uploaded

We'll work through it, don't worry. Mostly just removing deprecated links of .modinfo files. It would probably be helpful if the final installer included a script to remove/replace these entries from all modmods in the MODS subdirectory:
Code:
<Dependencies>
   <Mod id="8411a7a8-dad3-4622-a18e-fcc18324c799" minversion="14" maxversion="999" title="(2) Community Balance Overhaul" />
   <Mod id="eead0050-1e3f-4178-a91f-26cf1881ac39" minversion="29" maxversion="999" title="(3) City-State Diplomacy for VP" />
   <Mod id="c7bf7064-d1b1-4708-9e93-7a1560868582" minversion="12" maxversion="999" title="(4) Civ IV Diplomatic Features for VP" />
   <Mod id="be2d13ee-d18d-410e-8f04-7cd19cd99a98" minversion="156" maxversion="999" title="(5) More Luxuries for VP" />
</Dependencies>

Yeah literally anyone can fix dependency issues and I'll be uploading a visual guide, a list of pre-fixed mods and probably a shallow versions of merged mods. A script would be great, but I fear it may get blocked by antivirus, firewall etc. and there can be issues with uncommon filepaths or characters.

Though I voted yes, I've thought about this for a bit.

I get the appeal of consolidation, but it does seem like a fair bit of work and it does pose the risk of breaking various modmods. What are we really gaining here? I mean I assume all of the key modders already well know where all of the files are at, does consolidating them really save any time and trouble compared to fixing the issues consolidation brings?

This project is very old at this point, do we really need to perform such an effort at this point? Seems more like busywork than anything else.

For me, the main benefit is consolidating all of the Lua. There are 4-5 copies of most Lua files that are all slightly different that we can condense to 1-2. Having to decide which files are changed when making a Lua addition is frustrating to the point of killing motivation to actual improve the files.

Top Bottom