[Poll] Tribute from CS rewards too little but costs too much?

How do you think about the Tribute system?

• Underpowered. Rewards too little but costs too much. I never do it.

Votes: 20 60.6%
  • Fair. Depends on UA, situations and mapsize. I sometimes do it.

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • Overpowered. Gives too much gold and costs little effort. I always do it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
That's what the Github Issues page is for. Seriously. :gripe:

No need to get worked up, you know I'm not going to use it anyways :lol:

But seriously reporting it to github has no effect on the main issue which is that people don't really know what's broken and what's intended, and they don't want to look foolish by reporting something that is actually intended just because they might have missed a patch note a few weeks ago.

No need to get worked up, you know I'm not going to use it anyways :lol:

But seriously reporting it to github has no effect on the main issue which is that people don't really know what's broken and what's intended, and they don't want to look foolish by reporting something that is actually intended just because they might have missed a patch note a few weeks ago.

When in doubt, report. Also, it's not cute or funny that you (and others) don't use Github. Frankly, it's annoying, especially since the site is dead simple to use and really, really useful for organization. Trying to keep tabs on 20+ threads going at once, each one interspersed with bug reports and questions, is impossible.

G

Yeah I haven't seen any "broken" kinda bugs or i would be using the Github, LordG. Do you want thinks like good ole Delekhan is talking about sent there? I think it's ok that they can turn my allies, it makes me mad. It should make the AI very mad too. I honestly thought that it was intentional.

Yeah I haven't seen any "broken" kinda bugs or i would be using the Github, LordG. Do you want thinks like good ole Delekhan is talking about sent there? I think it's ok that they can turn my allies, it makes me mad. It should make the AI very mad too. I honestly thought that it was intentional.

Eh?
G

I think it is an opinion about the way the civ works, not a bug. I think it should be in leader balance not Github. If the game wont work or looks jacked up or something that's a bug, and should goto Github, right? I am not ignoring the thing, but I have not used it because of how I thought it was supposed to be working.

I think it is an opinion about the way the civ works, not a bug. I think it should be in leader balance not Github. If the game wont work or looks jacked up or something that's a bug, and should goto Github, right? I am not ignoring the thing, but I have not used it because of how I thought it was supposed to be working.

If it is a balance issue, start a new thread here. If it's a bug, or even a perceived bug, do a github post.

G

55 Science is way better than 130 Gold in almost any scenario, unless you're going bankrupt which you clearly are not based on your screenshot.

Remember that's just one city state. The assumption is you can do this half a dozen times in a few turns if you want to, albeit with different resources.

Later in the game you can set up a squadron of battleships to roam the oceans, extracting tribute 12 times every 20 turns or so. Believe me, it adds up.

I do think the Religious CS heavy tribute is garbage in the late game and I will always take gold from them instead.

On another note, what map type is that? Is that an earth map?

No.
55 science is a small or even inconspicuous boost IMO.
And true it's just one city state.
But there are different types of city states. The ones that gives science upon "heavy" bully, are military CS and they don't appear as much.

I feel that the maritime CS which gives food is quite balance, as food has become more scarce in recent versions.
But for military CS /cultural CS/ religious CS/ mercantile CS, the little award still doesn't offset its cost, particularly when the yield of my capital only contributes about 10% of my national yield.

P.S. this is another example when growing wide isn't receiving much synergy from the design.

But there are different types of city states. The ones that gives science upon "heavy" bully, are military CS and they don't appear as much..

A bit off-topic, but is that really true? I feel like I see military CS all the time. I feel like the most rare ones are the religious city-states, I usually find one or max two of those on a standard map, and I never find them early enough to get some use out of the discovery-faith. Pretty nice that Pantheon-requirements got normalized now however so you don't have to go insane from not finding on.

A bit off-topic, but is that really true? I feel like I see military CS all the time. I feel like the most rare ones are the religious city-states, I usually find one or max two of those on a standard map, and I never find them early enough to get some use out of the discovery-faith. Pretty nice that Pantheon-requirements got normalized now however so you don't have to go insane from not finding on.

You misunderstood me. Pardon my English. It was not my strongest subject.
Even if their occurrence is not rare there is still only 1/5 chance where a military CS that gives science spawns in my proximity, which means for anyone who wants to build a tributary state, he/she would get a variety of different yields in return. (food/science/culture..etc)

My argument is, this is going to contradict with jma's leader balance as the leaders are categorized into 4 groups and are programmed to forego either culture/science/diplomacy and embark on a specific path that they believe will bring them one type of victory. Having too diversified bonus from CSs makes both AI and players hard to focus on just one or two yields.

That's why I suggest having a stronger heavy tribute.

PS. Funak, please don't feel obliged to respond as it gives more time for other users to digest what we are discussing and the overwhelming posts hinder comprehension and encourage hotheaded bickering.

My argument is, this is going to contradict with jma's leader balance as the leaders are categorized into 4 groups and are programmed to forego either culture/science/diplomacy and embark on a specific path that they believe will bring them one type of victory. Having too diversified bonus from CSs make both AI and players hard to focus on just one or two yields.

I fear this may be an area where my expertise is needed. Leaders don't 'forgo' any victory conditions, nor do they forgo yields due to victory conditions. I rewrote all of jma's leader stuff last patch (it had some flavoring issues), so this is a moot point.

G

You misunderstood me. Pardon my English. It was not my strongest subject.
Even if their occurrence is not rare there is still only 1/5 chance where a military CS that gives science spawns in my proximity, which means for anyone who wants to build a tributary state, he/she would get a variety of different yields in return. (food/science/culture..etc)

Okay, that makes more sense.

My on-topic observation of the tribute-system is that the AI seems to make a lot of use out of it. I don't know if it's intended but you can see yields over the city-states every time an AI demands tribute from the.I had one game where 3 different civs all demanded Faith from a religious city-state rather early to get their pantheons running, seemed like a rather smart idea, I might end up stealing it.
The AI however seems to have an advantage at that point in the game since they start with more units(I think) making it easier to hit the threat-cap for demanding heavy tribute.

Other than that I haven't personally used it so far, I've done fairly low-military games so far but I managed to, thanks to an ancient ruin upgrade, get an immortal early on that allowed me to demand gold from 4 different city-states. So I got some gold to buy a scout, which is nice.

Top Bottom