Poll: War Weariness in defensive wars

What do you think about war weariness from killing enemy units in owned territory?

• I think you should NOT get war weariness from killing enemy units in owned territory

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • I think you should get war weariness from killing enemy units in owned territory

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Other (please explain in comments)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I know, currently you gain war weariness for destroying enemy units on your own territory. That has lead to significant problems in my games where I'll be fighting a lot of defensive wars early on when I start to get a lot of war weariness fairly quickly even if I'm not losing my own units, but only killing enemy units. I find this a bit counter-intuitive from a real-world perspective (if I'm killing my enemies who are invading my lands, why should my people be sad/angry/weary of killing the enemies/intruders into our lands/winning battles? The general weariness from wars is already a seperate thing that happens with the passage of turns regardless of the war outcome, as far as I know.) and it's also very punitive from a game-play perspective, it makes warmongering even stronger for the attacker, which means for human players that usually/often have to be more defensive in the early stages of the game a much harder time defending against the likes of Songhai, Zulu, Sweden,...

So I wanted to have this discussion with the community, what do you think about this?

Thanks for the votes&replies!

I always find it bewildering that you gain war weariness full stop in a defensive war. If you go on the offensive that is a different matter. Populaces are more committed & resiliant when attacked, & will put up with a long war if they are fighting for their freedoms. The onus & any war weariness should be with the attackers.

I think you should but at an extremely lowered rate than the attacker

We have tweaked it so many times I honestly don't know how war weariness works anymore. One of the modders want to give us a refresher?

I think you should but at an extremely lowered rate than the attacker

You are probably right. Should get some War Weariness but far less than any attacker. Attila for instance could attack & keep you at war for years without gaining any WE, whilst your kingdom is drowning in it, & cannot do anything about it except attack him.

Like Stalker0 said. I would be interested to know how it works.

If you don't get war weariness in defensive wars then they become farming-wars which has basically no drawbacks at all for the defender. As noted by others if you can have different amounts perhaps if you are the attacker or the defender, or if it's homeland or enemy-land that might be interesting. Should be doable to implement? After all there are promotions in the game already that gives you bonuses already if you are defending/attack in your own lands vs enemy lands and vice versa (crusader spirit etc)

Moderator Action: Locked as requested, although to ensure you get the attention of the mods you should open a conversation with a mod assigned to the subforum or report the post. :)

(Reports can be used for administrative requests as well as to report rule violations)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom