PolyCast Christmas Special 2007: "Girls Playing Civ"

HAHA I listened to this podcast yesterday and it was pretty damn funny. That pigiron girl had me rolling.

You kids don't know how good you have it! I had to play the first version of Civ on a 386! On a four-shade greyscale screen! I always played England or Greece because their maroon color was the only one that was distinct on that screen -- the other colors looked the same! Without a mouse, too! I had to use the hotkeys!
Another youngin'.
:lol:

HAHA I listened to this podcast yesterday and it was pretty damn funny.
Glad you enjoyed it. :cool:

Had you listened to any previous episodes?

That pigiron girl had me rolling.
:D

Yup yup listening... Bit by bit and stuff.. Yes its rather interesting =)

Though I am completely missing out on the pigiron joke >.> As in I dont get it >.>

It's a reference to the tech (either steel or railroads, I forget), Illusion. "I got pig iron, pig iron, I got all pig iron." Iron ore is reduced to pig iron in a blast furnace, which is then processed into steel.

This was the first show I listened to, I really just got into Civ IV recently and just saw this thread the day after X-mas.

I am no expert on production, but I thought it was great. All three guests had an interesting personality, I was impressed (and laughing like a nerd).

It wasn't so much the pigiron thing, just silly humor like that makes me laugh. I learned some stuff about the game (and girl gamers, such a mystery :)). Good show, I will listen again!

Another youngin'. I played it on a Tandy 286! I guess I really can't call you a youngin, as your older than me by one year. ;)

Got it. Have to remove age from my profile.

Illusion13 said:
Wait, so all the AI civs looked the same to you?

Not quite. There were a couple of different shades. The Egyptians/Aztecs and Romans/Russians looked like they had the same color, and the Germans/French and Mongols/Indians also looked the same. So I could guess whether or not a unit was French or Mongol, for example, but wouldn't know for sure unless I hovered the cursor over it. The only color that was distinct was the English/Greek one. (Which is why, to this day, I have to mod the game so that the English have a red color. To this day, when I see the dark red color I immediately think English....)

Hey DanQ -- just to keep this from being totally off topic -- it would be nice if you could integrate the participants in this podcast into the regular show from time to time. Would spice things up for sure....

Yup yup listening... Bit by bit and stuff.. Yes its rather interesting =)
:)

Though I am completely missing out on the pigiron joke >.> As in I dont get it >.>
As Jaybe said. :yup: One of the guest co-hosts commented on the pig iron.

I am no expert on production, but I thought it was great.
As the show's editor, I thank you. :king:

All three guests had an interesting personality, I was impressed (and laughing like a nerd).
:D

Good show, I will listen again!
Excellent! :goodjob:

You can do so now in fact! This special completed the show's first season of 30+ episodes -- all of which can still be downloaded from its official site. :cool:

The only color that was distinct was the English/Greek one. (Which is why, to this day, I have to mod the game so that the English have a red color. To this day, when I see the dark red color I immediately think English....)

Hey DanQ... it would be nice if you could integrate the participants in this podcast into the regular show from time to time. Would spice things up for sure....
All three first time guest co-hosts here agreed to be on the show's guest co-host rotational when I asked. :cooool:

Methos you know the answer to that!
Spoiler :
or did he not threaten to ban you from the internet if you didn't agree to come back? i figured he did that to everybody... :lol:

ps i knew you meant what you said earlier as a compliment, i was just being silly by using that phrase.
i'm still giggling about the nickname "that pigiron girl". i'm considering adding it to my sig!

I'm curious how you people get asked to be on this show... I thought it was only "official" people from Firaxis or web sites or something? I don't want or expect to be asked myself, just curious! Also I still don't get how they make it sound so natural the conversations if you all do it from your homes over the phone... it really sounds like they are responding and talking to each other in the same room and no one interrupts each other :)

Also I still don't get how they make it sound so natural the conversations if you all do it from your homes over the phone... it really sounds like they are responding and talking to each other in the same room and no one interrupts each other :)

It's not ever the "phone", but through Skype. Yes, we often do interrupt each other, but that's where a great editor comes in. For now, there's DanQ :p

I'm curious, have you ever had a guest co-host not wish to come back for another episode? :eek:
:nope:

Rosie O'Donnell?
:D, but I don't know if we should be joking about that... ;)

Methos you know the answer to that!...

No threats though, just promises. ;)

i'm still giggling about the nickname "that pigiron girl". i'm considering adding it to my sig!
If you were to mention Polycast by name while doing that then yes, that sounds good. :mischief:

It's not ever the "phone", but through Skype.
That's true with just one exception in part: my interview with Greg Hildebrandt. He was communicating via phone, I over Skype. (I'm not counting the two 'wrong number' messages that I... responded to in earlier, separate episodes. :D)

Yes, we often do interrupt each other, but that's where a great editor comes in. For now, there's DanQ :p
:lol::lol:

Don't worry about how you sound on the show, Methos... there won't be a next time now. :p;)

I'm curious how you people get asked to be on this show... I thought it was only "official" people from Firaxis or web sites or something? I don't want or expect to be asked myself, just curious!
Excellent question.

If a guest co-host is not a Firaxian or in another 'official' capacity, typically they were/are invited onto the show because they have made a name for themselves in the Civ community in one respect or another (e.g. strategy, modding) that has come to our attention.

Also I still don't get how they make it sound so natural the conversations if you all do it from your homes over the phone... it really sounds like they are responding and talking to each other in the same room and no one interrupts each other :)
As Methos alluded to, that's due to extensive editing on my part. :) For every hour of produced ('in-episode') audio, typically the co-hosts record for ~2 1/2-3 hours with ~6-8 hours editing applied by myself.

Don't worry about how you sound on the show, Methos... there won't be a next time now. :p;)

:cry:

typically the co-hosts record for ~2 1/2-3 hours with ~6-8 hours editing applied by myself.

Wow! No wonder you don't always do them weekly! :wow:

:sad:. If I was really serious about not wanting you back on the show, I wouldn't have told you so publicly.

Check again the power of my smilie usage! :yup:

Wow! No wonder you don't always do them weekly! :wow:
Indeed. :crazyeye: Weekly PCs are the exception rather than the rule.

This episode was the best ever and I can say that because I have listened to all of them. It was funny, accurate (somewhat), and insightful. The CandyLand and Pig-Iron parts were really funny - I was listening on my train ride home and laughing out loud ... I got some funny looks from other passengers but they didn't understand when I tried to explain it do them. So was the comment about India's UU (I agree, it is a great UU) and their really great colour.

DanQ - you and the other hosts have some serious competition here ... those girls were terrific.

Note: Civs (AIs or Humans) who are not on your team cannot see your signs. They can read the names of your units, but not your signs. Feel free to put up signs saying "You are NEXT BUSTER".

This episode was the best ever and I can say that because I have listened to all of them. It was funny, accurate (somewhat), and insightful.
:)

The CandyLand and Pig-Iron parts were really funny - I was listening on my train ride home and laughing out loud ... I got some funny looks from other passengers but they didn't understand when I tried to explain it do them.
:lol: to laughing out loud. :lol::lol::thumbsup: to trying to explain to your fellow passengers why you were laughing.

If only you had a recording of this conversation... :D

... those girls were terrific.
That they were. :yup:

Top Bottom