1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Polynesia? Seriously!?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by jtb1127, Mar 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

I wouldn't necessarily go with "better" things, but certainly different things.

2. Arsenic Steel

Arsenic Steel Warlord

I am not sure which is more impressive, that at 14 you we making criticisms about the validity of the inclusion of some nations in civ and questioning the history knowledge of those game developers or that you had your own Amiga then.

3. Fredric Drum

Fredric Drum Civilizator

Guys, what's all this empire talk? This game isn't called Empire V, it's called Civilization V.

Being an empire isn't a requirement to be in the game. But I would argue that the Polynesians are definitely a civilization.

There are of course other civs that could or should be in before them... but I don't hate this choice. I guess they want to include something new and refreshing.

4. brxbrx

brxbrx Worthless loser

the sam cooke reference threw me off

5. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Polynesia has consistently been one of the in demand civilizations on these forums. Right up there with the likes of Portugal, Poland and Carthage.

6. Reginleif

Reginleif Warlord

OP, you reek of ignorence.

1. Maps are always misleading. Rome may have been large, but actual control asserted states wouldn`t be identifiable by a modern person. They were grouped in small isolated regions in most of Europe and in places like the caucas, control was nothing more than a few fortresses, having no real political control.

2. You really seem to only want European civilizations. I know that you are ignorent on most of the world your elementary teacher didn`t tell you `bout, but the West is not World History.
    Moderator Action: Flaming is not allowed here.

3. Stop using historical importance as a means to justify yourself. It is a buzz word of ignorent people.

7. Arsenic Steel

Arsenic Steel Warlord

HAHA I sort of ignored that bit. I had to wiki his song list as the name of the song didn't not come to me upon reading bibor's post.
    A 14 year old being aware of the lyrics to a 1960 Sam Cooke song is also all kinds of impressive.

8. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

Far from it...

Europe was once a bunch of Tribes.
    While Egypt was building Kheops or before, the Polynesian went ashore near modern Peru.
    That isn't Control or Dominate for them... more like transmitting in generations worth that Venus & Jupiter trails are to be written in Mayans Codex or be carefully hidden in some Yucatan peninsula located Aztec Temples along with Gold & Gems Treasures brought in boats from some 5000 miles away.

Naval Empire. Yep, just Polynesia.

9. Teperi Blaze

Teperi Blaze Warlord

Vikings controlled the countries they chose, they never dominated them.

Any country with sea access could be controlled by the vikings, so these countries tried to find ways to trade inland, which wasn't often successfull because of raiders and stuff.

So trading by sea was always the safest route for many, except when they were in a conflict with the vikings. Who simply waited for the slow galleys to try to hike down the coast, easy pickings. Call it Zone of Control or whatever, but they made fortunes of this and mostly without bloodshed. So soon countries and city-states paid ransom.

A Viking longship could hold 60-80 people, it could manouver in waterdepths of 4 feet, if lower the ship was so light, they could carry it over a sandbank or whatever.

It also had 2 sterns as it was built, so you just put in reverse in a second by flipping the rowers around, to go in the other direction.

Canute is said to have had over a 1000 of these ships at his hands, when he started his conquests. Think about that manpower! Not to even touch the tacticts they used when in war, like tying ships together, to keep a strong platform.

All this blabbling aside, I do not disagree with a new civ like Polynesia, anything new is a refreshment. :) But I love Vikings.

10. SHaW1986

SHaW1986 Prince

I think its great they decided to include to include the polynesians... i just wish they would include more at a time, allow us to pick and choose.

11. esemjay

esemjay Prince

Right...

<SNIP>
    Moderator Action: Grammar nazism is not allowed in this forum here.

----

EDIT: For an actual On-Topic bit -- I think that Polynesia was a weird choice... it doesn't seem to make sense from a historical standpoint, but they are something new. I just can't help but feel that their cultural trait will be a bit OP, though... and entirely wasted if the AI can't figure out how to cross oceans.

12. builer680

builer680 eats too much Taco Bell

But moderators comparing posters to nazis is allowed. :rolleyes: Go ahead, infract/ban me... w/e. You're out of control dude (The_J).

Moderator Action: PDMA (Public Discussion of Moderator Actions)
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

13. chips2150

chips2150 Chieftain

Actually it's quite a common expression for grammar fanatics, so I wouldn't get too excited.

14. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Back on topic, Polynesia is a fine choice.

I was in Hawaii just after Christmas and I picked up a huge book on Polynesian history. I think the sucker must weigh 20 pounds. :D

That and a couple of books on learning Hawaiian. Fascinating language I must say.

It is quite remarkable what they accomplished with so little really.

The Pacific islands are deficient in many things (especially metal) but they adapted and thrived in a very hostile environment.

I always thought that Civ was kind of like making do with what the terrain gave you and doing the best you could. Adapt or die.

I'm sure Portugal, the Dutch, Korea, Carthage and others will be coming soon enough anyway so there's no need for any cultural snobbery by anyone.

Polynesia is a good choice for many reasons and especially for offering a very interesting game style.

I'll criticize Firaxis for many things but I won't here. Bravo Firaxis.

15. The_Quasar

The_Quasar King

I think Polynesia is a good choice, for gameplay, I'm looking forward to trying them...

Polynesians have a rich culture, as anyone that knows anything about them will tell you. There are several forms of the Haka, for example, which has survived to the current day, and is performed by the New Zealand, Tonga (called Kailao there), Fiji (called Cibi there) and Samoan (called Siva tau there) rugby teams before matches. It is a traditional war dance that has it's variations all over Polynesia.

As for the Vikings, they were great explorers too... after all, they found america (as evidenced by the viking remains in Newfoundland)... and Prince Henry, the Navigator, was probably 150 - 200 years behind them. LOL, just shows what rubbish is taught in history at schools, Columbus was, iirc, over 100 years after that, a very poor third, but he is taught in schools, why?

16. builer680

builer680 eats too much Taco Bell

Who's excited?

The other 'n' word is pretty common too. Guess no one should be surprised when someone uses it because it's common. :rolleyes:

Don't care about your next comment (which will probably also start with 'ACTUALLY' pronounced in a loud, annoying, high pitched and nasal tone)... so don't even bother replying. You're already ignored.

Moderator Action: Flaming
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

17. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Actually, I agree completely, although I still don't think they should be called the Vikings (Norse most likely, although Scandinavians and Danes are OK as well, with Swedes as a possibility to include Gustavus Adolphus in the mix).

If I had a choice, I would say a Rome's enemy pack next (Carthage and Celts) and then the Norse (my real goal would be the Norse, Byzantium, and Al-Andalus/Moors). But the Polynesians are a great choice right now.

18. HorribleHarald

HorribleHarald Warlord

Taking Polynesians with is same kind of mistake than in civ4 native americans. They are too big group and too separated. What's next? Native africans? Slavic civ? Latin americans?
    If they want some polynesian civ, why not choose direct hawaiians. They had own kingdom until evil imperialistic americans conquered their lands and make whole archipelago one their own state.
    But is there really more important civs? This sounds as bad as mythic natural wonders, devs are gone nuts.

19. Bibor

Bibor Doomsday Machine

Having a single leader per nation and nations themselves are already bad. It works in SMAC or Colonization, but not for Civilization.

20. Fabiano1979

Fabiano1979 Chieftain

I agree with the Horribleharald.

Everybody is thinking: "Oh, great, firaxis want to diversify, want to be a democratic game with civs from all corners of the earth. Wow how good they are, how generous.."

Actually, as I said on the DLC POlynesia thread, what they are doing is being ignorant and kind of racist.

You guys dont see that probably because you come from a major power, like US or EU.

The polynesian are a ethinicty, and grouping together all the countries that have this heritage is generalization. This island countries are pride of thei land and own culture, and really have a rivalry with each other. Samoans dont like the tongans who dont like new zeland. All of then will hate be under a hawaiian king.

Like Horribleharald said, lets do a Latin Civ then. Im brazlian and if firafix created a new civ for latin america under, I dont know, Simon Bolivar..I would quit the game.

Maybe is easier to you to see that if I suggest: lets unify US and England and create the Anglo Saxon Civ...under Washington (to make the brits angry :D)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.