Polynesia? Seriously!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But as this thread is about Polynesia, didn't they invent the catamaran ship?

From which they managed to deduct that the Earth is round (Centuries before Mediterranean Empires sneaked out a mere 250 nautical miles into the Atlantic) while positioning Venus and Polaris as evaluation for distances. Crab Nebula & Andromeda included, btw. The astronomical data (and correspondence with) transmitted to the Mayas is simply mind-boggling.

Not only that, the "Fleets" were designed (and relayed) to provide weeks of supply at HighSeas.

Modern Borneo and the Philippines have ethnic traces matched only by Australian Aboriginals... and that's not talking about Japan Kanji or their specific architectural designs.
Sails, who needs Sails -- it's not the Wind, it's the exact Location listed on precision maps that would put Mercator to shame for lack of accurate details.

Yep, Catamaran and rafts.

Tnx Zyx!

Can you explain the raft part?

I can in my crowded head, but I never thought of the rafts as an expansion towards catamarans.

I can look at Wiki, but that is showing I didn't know.

Me, I'm happy to see Polynesia added, why not?

I think nearly ALL the Civ's have some ambiguity or generalisation about them (and for every version of Civ). I'm certainly not going to go over them again here!

I love the variety and differing flavours of all the civs, with their UU's, UB's, UA's etc.., so the greater the choice the happier I am!

I hope that some old favourites are brought back at some stage (Zulu, Viking) and some brand new ones are introduced as well (Mayan? Magyar? Picts? Briton?).

Personally, I reckon the devs are saving some of the biggies for the first XP.

Well, Europeans met the Norse ppl in warfare 100 years before the Swedes and the Danes got involved. Daneland owned about a quarter of the southern parts of Sweden and did for many years after the viking-age. But the Danes was traders as so was the Swedes (therefore Swedes going east to find riches.) and they was only involved into conflicts, long after the Norse had made their statement.

So Norse is right, but wrong. The Norse triggered it all, but the tribal pacts of Danes and Swedes had NOTHING to do with this until Harald? decided to bring in the lot together.

It's like calling an American an Englishman, just that was what they were a couple of hundreds of years back.

Viking as a job description, yes, I can agree to that.
But that all vikings were Norse, no way. :)

Well, Danes would be a reference to the Empire of the North, so it would be Cnut, Harald Hardrada, etc. I still prefer the Norse. From an American history, where one of my high school courses taught English Literature, which invariably mentioned the Danelaw and its effect on the English language, the Danes are the Scandinavian people, when explicitly named, that stand out.

The Norse work the best for the overall Civilization name. To the French, for example, they were all Norsemen or Northmen (Normandy is named after the "Norse", not any one particular group). The Vikings were a significant subset, but it would be inappropriate to name them after their subset.

Maybe if they were to do that (Because I'd love having Bolivar ingame) Have Gran Columbia instead?

Also, said rivalry is a 'friendly rivalry' like what NZ and Australia have. Have a go at each other, but stick up for them on the world stage

actually that same kind of sometimes not so friendly rivalry happens between states here in Australia - QLD vs NSW State of Origin :)

(btw its a football game)

actually that same kind of sometimes not so friendly rivalry happens between states here in Australia - QLD vs NSW State of Origin :)

(btw its a football game)

I know what State of Origin is, it is on the news here to (For some reason)

Really, who here was hoping that polynesia was some sort of early april fools day
joke? After reading this I was half expecting another post saying: HA HA JUST
KIDDING. But this is just odd, and 5 bucks for this? Who would buy this? Not
only is the game still broken but instead of making a civ that EVERYONE is
clamoring for. (Poland, Vikings, Celts. Hey even canada would've been better!)
They made this oddball empire, one that not only did not cover all of polynesia,
but was also of little cultural influence up until the modern times! Not to demean
Polynesians themselves, but this is WAY to early, they belong with some other
group of people. Perhaps a Polynesians/Celts/Mongolic People pack? I'd pay
five bucks for that. But really people? Five dollars for a civilization which barely
has enough cities, or fame, to be known to an average 10th grader?

First off, everyone is NOT clamoring for Poland. I've been clamoring for Polynesia (actually Celts, Carthage, Polynesia, Norsemen in that order).

Really, who here was hoping that polynesia was some sort of early april fools day
joke? After reading this I was half expecting another post saying: HA HA JUST
KIDDING. But this is just odd, and 5 bucks for this? Who would buy this? Not
only is the game still broken but instead of making a civ that EVERYONE is
clamoring for. (Poland, Vikings, Celts. Hey even canada would've been better!)
They made this oddball empire, one that not only did not cover all of polynesia,
but was also of little cultural influence up until the modern times! Not to demean
Polynesians themselves, but this is WAY to early, they belong with some other
group of people. Perhaps a Polynesians/Celts/Mongolic People pack? I'd pay
five bucks for that. But really people? Five dollars for a civilization which barely
has enough cities, or fame, to be known to an average 10th grader?

Funny, I thought the average fourth grader had heard of the Easter Island heads, or a Luau, or seen fire dancing. Hrm. Anyway, as previously mentioned, not only have several people across CFC and 2K forums been asking for Polynesia or similar (Maori) for ages, more so than have been asking for some of the other civs you've mentioned, but because they haven't influenced your region of the Earth doesn't mean they wern't influencial. Clearly you haven't seen an All Blacks rugby game, or been to Hawaii.

There's a polarized situation when two threads are started on the very same subject. I already preferred the NEW-DLC... where actual facts are clearly discussed in a --seriously-- better way, AFAIC.
So, why bother splitting my energy.
Good bye. Nothing to add here.

Funny, I thought the average fourth grader had heard of the Easter Island heads, or a Luau, or seen fire dancing. Hrm. Anyway, as previously mentioned, not only have several people across CFC and 2K forums been asking for Polynesia or similar (Maori) for ages, more so than have been asking for some of the other civs you've mentioned, but because they haven't influenced your region of the Earth doesn't mean they wern't influencial. Clearly you haven't seen an All Blacks rugby game, or been to Hawaii.
Most I've met have not. Kinda sad really.

And perhaps my sentence structure was off, but mostly everyone has asked
for EITHER Canada, Poland, Vikings, or the celts, with VERY few exceptions. Not to
say Polynesia should be excluded entirely, I merely believe they aren't worth
5 bucks alone, with the celts, yes, alone, no.

And no, I haven't been to hawaii, don't plan too. And no, I haven't even heard of
All Blacks Rugby and don't really plan on finding out.

has anybody outside of poland or canada actually requested either one of those, except for when they wanted a punching bag?
and i'm pretty sure every kid has seen at least a hawaiian vacation episode of a tv show

Don't hate on it until you play it homie.

I don't think it's the gameplay or traits of the Civ he's annoyed with. You could make a Civ called The Poopinese, from the country Poopiopia, on the legendary undiscovered continent of Pooparctica, and give it cool traits and probably make it fun. I think he's annoyed at the choice of Polynesia, given what he may consider better options.

I personally don't care either way, but I can understand his side as well.

Yes, that would have been great. But it's capital would have been the medieval equivalent of Istanbul, which is already the Ottoman capital...

Istanbul was Constantinople
Now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople
Been a long time gone, Constantinople
Now it's Turkish delight on a moonlit night

Every gal in Constantinople
Lives in Istanbul, not Constantinople
So if you've a date in Constantinople
She'll be waiting in Istanbul

Even old New York was once New Amsterdam
Why they changed it I can't say
People just liked it better that way

So take me back to Constantinople