Polynesia? Seriously!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd agree that the bashing fest must stop... but ya know how it goes in the www

Agreed Zyx. The first person to invent a way to 1) track anonymous forum posters and 2) start a "telegram" service that carries baseball bats will become an internet trillionaire overnight. :lol:

Personally, I don't bash Canada, its a nice country. I do bash suggestions that Canada has some significant culture that is completely unique from American culture.

Euh? Come & visit us in Québec and you'll witness how really different we still are from American culture & centuries worth of French+British colonization.
Who do you think sang in Vegas for years? Our precious Céline Dion.
Only one example of cultural diversity, btw.

Agreed Zyx. The first person to invent a way to 1) track anonymous forum posters and 2) start a "telegram" service that carries baseball bats will become an internet trillionaire overnight. :lol:

Gosh, we're sooooo deviating off-topic.
Let's finish this line of thoughts with a bang;
Both ways you mentioned are already available on eBay - look no further than phishing scams.

Yeah, Canada does have its own culture, unique vs the US.

Of course, I still don't think we really deserve to be included. Maybe once civ is up to ~30-40 civs, then it'd be a nice change.

Given that you're not forced to buy/download the civilization, whining why again? It isn't as big as a deal as you think it is.

The OP wants a new civilization, just someone besides the Polynesians. The fact that he's not forced to buy the civ doesn't mean he's not allowed to be unhappy with his options.

Go tell that much to the entire population of Japan this morning while they righfully expect the usual Humanitarian Efforts Canada provided & still provides worldwide.
We have troops in constant stanby for such events.
Katrina Hurricane got some, Indian Ocean Tsunami even more.

WE (TOO) the people are always ready.

Go ahead, Canada bashing is in fashion and it gets you noticed on the www.
The reality is different than a short list of direct insults such as what you just spilled on everyone as sulfuric acid.

I simply don't feel like Japan needs any international humanitarian aide, what so ever. They are the third (or second depending on who's list you use) richest country and one of the most developed in the world.

I simply don't feel like Japan needs any international humanitarian aide, what so ever. They are the third (or second depending on who's list you use) richest country and one of the most developed in the world.

WAY off topic dude.

When (potentially thousands of) innocent people are killed, your first reaction shouldn't be to gauge their wealth and then assess whether they really need your help. You just offer to help your fellow man/woman/child in a desperate and terrible time. Can you imagine a natural disaster befalling you or your family, and having people say something like you just said?

Moderator Action: Keep politics and world affairs out of this discussion please. We have an off-topic forum for a reason.

:confused:
Canada is awesome! I'd want it in Civ even before my own native country (Poland)!

I mean seriously people, how can you ignore Constable Benton Fraser from RCMP? That man has changed my life and I've become a much better person thanks to being exposed to Canadian culture :) And yes I'm not being sarcastic here.

"Due South" is one of the best TV series ever, and I've never encountered a better music score for a series in my life - "Gift of a Wheelman" episode makes my head explode (metaphorically speaking) every time - that's how good it is :king:

While I would have to go look up the technical specs for the Avro Arrow to make a valid argument as to the aircraft being ahead of it's time or not-- it didn't pioneer delta wings. Germany's "Delta I" and Britain's "Avro" were the first to use Delta wings, and the Avro Arrow pulled that from them.

The Avro Arrow also doesn't really have that much in common with the F-15, aside from having dual jet engines. The same could be said about the MiG35, MiG29, Mig 25, and the F-15. I'm not saying that Canada doesn't participate- I get to see a lot of the work that Canadians do overseas. I'm just saying that culturally, Canada doesn't differ enough from the USA and Britain to justify a separate civilization, just like Brazil doesn't differ enough from Portugal and the surrounding area enough to justify a different civ.

Seems pretty obvious to me.

Polynesia was one of the lower votes on the poll. Naturally it should be released as DLC earlier in the release cycle to encourage more people to buy it. If it was released after they had pumped out all the good civs why would anyone throw their money at it?

I have to say, though I do love Vikings/Scandinavians/Norse...the Polynesian ppl existed/evolved? for much longer.

50.000 years of slow exploration and expanding is good and I can only see an archipelago map fit for this civ. That beats the Norse/Vikings/Scandinavians by about 49.500 years. :)
What are you talking about? How could the Hawaiians have possibly been evolving longer than the Norse? Human civilization has only even existed for a few thousand years and not much evolution has taken place during this time.

Clearly you haven't seen an All Blacks rugby game, or been to Hawaii.
I lived in Hawaii for five years, so don't spout off in that attitude telling me what I clearly haven't done.

Given that you're not forced to buy/download the civilization, whining why again? It isn't as big as a deal as you think it is.

1.) I hate DLC altogether
2.) I want new civs I just want others more than the polynesians

Who's this "we" of which you speak? Certainly not me, and certainly not everyone else who buys DLC.

Anyone who has a brain must realize how they are bad. I buy them, but I still hate them.

So why, you may be asking did the developers decide over all other civs to put the Polynesian empire in the game? Good Question! Lets get some responses and maybe we can find out!

Political correctness, who wants to play as a bunch of dead, white, european males?

While I would have to go look up the technical specs for the Avro Arrow to make a valid argument as to the aircraft being ahead of it's time or not-- it didn't pioneer delta wings. Germany's "Delta I" and Britain's "Avro" were the first to use Delta wings, and the Avro Arrow pulled that from them.

The Avro Arrow also doesn't really have that much in common with the F-15, aside from having dual jet engines. The same could be said about the MiG35, MiG29, Mig 25, and the F-15. I'm not saying that Canada doesn't participate- I get to see a lot of the work that Canadians do overseas. I'm just saying that culturally, Canada doesn't differ enough from the USA and Britain to justify a separate civilization, just like Brazil doesn't differ enough from Portugal and the surrounding area enough to justify a different civ.

Let me state it differently then...

It is simply a matter of definition, complex, relatively personal, self-endulging, protectionist, emotional and above all - NOT necessarily having some international impact on a cultural scale *ONLY*.

The melting pot is always boiling on this planet of ours; some would think Polynesia is a great way to provide a diverse gameplay feature others disappointed *THEIR* own favorite Civs (again, define *it* before even trying to start an argument on its relevance) are either going to have to wait for inclusion or never be inserted in some official permanent status of being worthy.

You see, my friend, if it were just me i'd prefer *TWO* specific leaders per vanilla Civs (one wish being... to provide equal gender representation, yeah that's right -- Wu, Lizzy, Cathy, Isabelly and many more gals!) than any additional DLC for any given price.
And, let's be honest... the mod community is there to supply about 250+ more if there is demand for that much. Again, personal agendas.
I buy these, cuz i'm a modder and feel Firaxis deserves my money.

I'd have taken Vikings (or even Norse whatever fits your silly academia snobby principles) even before England, France, India, Germany, Arabia, Spain, Russia, Siam, America for historical reasons.
To me... Egypt, Rome, Greece, China, Japan, Aztec, Iroquois, Inca, Polynesia, Persia, Babylon, Mongolia, Ottomans, Songhai belong in a *DIFFERENT* timeline category.

Mixing Canada or ****ANYBODY**** else fits the above in either of the two areas only.
If America is there, any modern Nations (and quite frankly there are plenty; USSR collapse, ex-Yugoslavia) that reached independance since have the exact same right for a Civ slot.

There are plenty more considerations to justify such status, one of which is Marketing & the other, certainly not preference.

But when people seriously bash my Homeland (sounds familiar?) online that's where i get off the bandwagon. Wanna know why?

Time is a trail of people's struggles with the neighborhood. We stand right now (on guard, strong & free) between two nuking arsenals swimming in subs while a few more show off their military might; Vikings didn't have to unless driven by specific needs.
Rome fought the French_Gaul & England were once Celts.

And as President Obama said this afternoon; Humanity is one (taken into context of more than just a game of Civs).

1.) I hate DLC altogether
2.) I want new civs I just want others more than the polynesians

Anyone who has a brain must realize how they are bad. I buy them, but I still hate them.

I *DO* have a brain.
Polynesia isn't a bad choice.
I buy what i like.
I don't hate game assets & features.

If i *MUST*.

Seems pretty obvious to me.

Polynesia was one of the lower votes on the poll. Naturally it should be released as DLC earlier in the release cycle to encourage more people to buy it. If it was released after they had pumped out all the good civs why would anyone throw their money at it?

except it was one of the most requested in some form on either website, at least top 5.

except it was one of the most requested in some form on either website, at least top 5.

No it wasn't. It won one poll, but when compared with other high vote getters in a combined poll, it was outvoted handily, placing 8th out of 10.

Even comparing the number of votes that it got in the poll that it did win (with 34 total votes), to other polls shows that it still was a lower overall vote getter than many Civs that came in 4th-5th in their own polls.

As I've already said earlier in this thread... The evidence shows that the devs were less interested in including "the most requested" Civ (to use your words), and more interested in doing a Civ from an under represented part of the world.

I don't care either way, I don't see anything wrong with their approach on picking who to include in DLC's... but don't make up facts. It most certainly was not one of "the most requested" Civs.

Polynesia is an ideal choice from my point of view - they provide very unique gameplay opportunities. From another standpoint (say, historical significance) there are probably better options. Both are valid, imo, and hopefully they make DLC for both viewpoints.

I don't think you understand anything like the whole picture where DLC is concerned. I can give you another perspective on this, but I feel like we might want to switch to PMs or something because it feels pretty far off-topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom