Polynesia? Seriously!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That doesn't matter though. Besides, it could alwyas be Byzantium / Byzantion / whatever you prefer.

EDIT: Is that by chance 'Istanbul, not Constantinople'?

Given that you're not forced to buy/download the civilization, whining why again? It isn't as big as a deal as you think it is.

Well, it actually is. Note, I am for Byzantines (they're just cool, but I would probably be against them if they weren't Byzantines :p), Aztecs, Mayas, etc. However, not as DLC. I am against DLC, for obvious reasons.

Well, it actually is. Note, I am for Byzantines (they're just cool, but I would probably be against them if they weren't Byzantines :p), Aztecs, Mayas, etc. However, not as DLC. I am against DLC, for obvious reasons.

My thoughts exactly. The way I see it, it could've been the Vikings or Byzantines. I still wouldn't buy it for $5. Still isn't that big of a deal since ethnocentricity is annoying on this board.

Given that you're not forced to buy/download the civilization, whining why again? It isn't as big as a deal as you think it is.

Its not that I'm forced to download them, its just they only come out every few months and I'd prefer them to be someone else.
But I don't care any more. I purchased the Polynesians (damn you DLC!!!!!) and I'm happy with them.

I really don't see what the big problem is? Who else were they going to add that would add any real variety to the game. I mean, there are a lot of important Civs to add, but Polynesia add something that has not been in previous games, and anyhow they're better than the Iroquois, which are also in to add that somethign different. I mean, really... Let's look through the alternatives:

Byzantium - The remnants of the once great Rome, I know they were significant in and of themselves, but it doesn't change the fact that they were a remnant of an Empire that is actually in the game. They also add absolutely no variety!

Maya - I would rather them in the game than Byzantium, but again they are nothing new to the game itself which the Aztecs and the Inca.

Portugal - Why not just add all of Europe while we're at it. Whilst if there were say 30+ Civs having the likes of Portugal and the Dutch would be cool, how about a little variety. If some people on this forum got their way the Mighty Luxembourgo People would be in soon.

Canada - Really?! NO! Just no! That would be like having Australia in or worse, the Kiwis! I mean really... Canada are not a "Civilization" in that sense and are effectively an extension of Britain and France, like Australia.

Poland - City States are in the game for this reason, so we have a small power we can either trade with or turn into Punching bags, and whilst Poland did have a brief period of being a European Power, it is far Eclipsed by many other Civilizations and in fact by many that people wouldn't normally give credit for.

Vikings - They are probably the best of the pick here and I am all for them being in the game next. In fact they'd have my vote! They probably would have had my vote before (or with) Polynesia given a choice, but they lack the complete uniqueness of Polynesia, which is why I think they were picked over them.

I'll disagree that Byzantium adds no variety and is just Rome. They were the epitome of a medieval Kingdom in many ways that aren't represented by anyone else. The splendor of state and the influence of religion alone separate it quite a lot from Rome. The closest I can think of would be Spain, to be honest, and they were more Renaissance (throwing gunpowder into the mix).

I'll disagree that Byzantium adds no variety and is just Rome. They were the epitome of a medieval Kingdom in many ways that aren't represented by anyone else. The splendor of state and the influence of religion alone separate it quite a lot from Rome. The closest I can think of would be Spain, to be honest, and they were more Renaissance (throwing gunpowder into the mix).

Again, it's not as though they should not be in the game, but there are other civilizations that provide that [like the rest of the European Powers]... Yes, they would be interesting, but its not as though they are so unique like the Polynesians. It's also worth pointing out that they were at their peak in the so called "Dark Ages", and in fact through the High Medieval period they were on their way out to be replaced in their region by the Ottoman Empire. Whilst they were a major force in Europe during Medieval times they do not rank high enough amounst the Europeans to displace any point of them (hence not being in the Original game and not being in the first few DLC) and until they feel the need to chuck in large amounts of European Empires they probably won't be in. Although you could argue that they as a Civilization doesn't make sense from a historical point of view, it would not be fair to pick one particular group on its own. But that's a debate for another day. Again, I'd also rather the Vikings for something slightly different.

I'm from New Zealand, and I can give you some info about the Maori, though I'm sure they would have preferred to be lead by Te Rauparaha instead.:lol:

Like the other Polynesian cultures, the Maori tribes never united, in fact, tribal disputes still simmer on to the present day. They originally were a Stone Age society divided into tribes and sub-tribes that often warred against one another, but with the arrival of European traders, they quickly (though bloodily) adapted to the use of firearms during the tribal Musket Wars, imitated European framing methods, and developed a written language with the help of Christian missionaries. When the British came to colonise New Zealand, the aggressive settlers weren't facing wretches armed with sticks and stones, they were facing a modern army (for the time) equipped with guns, and in some cases, artillery. The Maori even modified their traditional pa (fortified village) designs and created the "Gunfighter's Pa," a disposable redoubt made of flax, wood and trenches that was capable of withstanding sustained artillery bombardment and leaving the Maori garrison unscathed, to the horror of the British soldiers who would walk in, believing them all to be dead, only to find the warriors pop out of the ground and gun them down.

If you have any questions about the Maori, feel free to ask me. And yes, I feel the Polynesians deserve to be in Civilization 5, their cultural impact on the Pacific is significant and should not be ignored.

When the british came, didn't at least some tribes unite to form the 'United Tribes of New Zealand', or is that a misconseption?

The Kingdom of Hawaii and Samoa joined in a confederation (or at least signed the treaty for it) under Kalakaua. Samoa was taken by the US and Germany almost instantly after though. :crazyeye:

When the british came, didn't at least some tribes unite to form the 'United Tribes of New Zealand', or is that a misconseption?

Some tribes did form loose confederations out of neccessity, and yes, there was a United Tribes based in the Far North of New Zealand, and the Kingitanga movement in the Waikato. But these were largely localised and for the most part did not involve tribes outside of their particular region. Though I'm sure you would know this as a fellow New Zealander, Pouakai.;)

AFAIC, the Polynesian triangle is much larger than public history recalls... between Cook & Magellan we get some 250 years worth of almost "Mystery" revolving around Maori, Samoa, Hawaii & whatever else the Pacific had to offer.
But, when i claim the coastal Mayans in Yucatan had some direct genetic markers to more than just a 10,000 miles radius at sea to the west... i can prove it to tribes all the way to Indonesia (Borneo) & Tasmania by carbon dated artifacts.

As for what would be good to next...
I'd still like to see a classical civilization pack with Carthage and some form of representation of the Celts. Either a generic Celtic civ or preferably one of the major Celtic groups(Boii or Gauls, in that case). Then we could get a (hopefully neat) classical scenario. Though some form of Scandinavians would also lend itself to a fun scenario as well. I do think that's what should be next.
They seem to release scenarios with each civ pack now(which is good, the Polynesia scenario is particularly fun), so I think that should be kept in mind when trying to guess what's next: what makes for a fun scenario! For that reason, I think the Maya and a few others are probably doomed to a future expansion pack.
And I'd personally be fine with civs like Poland, Korea, and Vietnam getting "promoted". They'd have no trouble finding new city-states to replace them, I think.

Canada? As a civ? They don't even have their own head of state. They have to borrow the Queen from another country if they need one.

Canada? As a civ? They don't even have their own head of state. They have to borrow the Queen from another country if they need one.

Political bias, insult, demeaning comment?

Check your facts... Canada's Constitution was repatriated in 1982 and the Lieutenant Governor is as symbolic to a British Monarchy as the Senate approving Confederation decisions through democratic voting.
The only Head of State by Law in Canada is the people with valid citizenship whom are represented with a Government managing current affairs including International contacts.

Call it the *extremely* modernized Republic where even Presidency is held & controlled by a Prime Minister absolutely equal in power to every worldwide versions of the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom