Portugal Discussion

You can see a snippet of Maria I (seemingly mad) leader scene on the new featurette!

Eh... :rolleyes: It's the same snippet as a previous featurette - nothing new, still under one second long, still with the narrator speaking over her, still having the exact same line...

I can only hope the next demo has Maria I as an opponent - seriously, we've seen a lot of Shaka, being in two demos now (Portugal's and Morocco's), give some light to Maria I and Ahmad Al-Mansur! :) Also more Ashurbanipal, the rest have been covered quite a bit! :p

Oh I must've missed Maria the first go around, too short!

She's just shaking her scepter at the voices in her head. Imagine her in a room with Enrico. She'd have him so confused. He'd get angry and end up choking her with his bony fingers.

Just got BNW and random rolled my first game and got Portugal. Scaled all the way back to Prince to get some practice in, Large Map, Standard Speed. Don't have time to play until tonight unfortunately.

It seems they are set up to play as a REX civ, peaceful, Ally up with CS, explore. Lots of gold and happiness. So what victory conditions are they best suited for? I normally think peaceful Civ to go for CV but with the new culture game would that still be the case?

Any thoughts on Portugal gameplay or strategy? Can't wait to get started!

The peace theme has some "castanholas" sounds that aren't really Portuguese, but that's a minor issue. Overall, I like their choice of music for my nation :)

of course its portuguese, let me guess, you identify it as spanish right? well I knew people would say that but isnt true, that instrument came from Phonecians and Spain took is as their national instrument but before they took it the portuguese and other cultures were using it and some even since the romans.

Castanets are a percussion instrument (idiophone), used in Kalo, Moorish, Ottoman, ancient Roman, Italian, Sephardic, Swiss, Portuguese and Spanish music.

So, I was checking the Civilopedia entry for Maria I, and noticed these two snippets:
Civilopedia said:
History
In a dynasty characterized by tragedy and madness for centuries, Maria I is undoubtedly the best known to the world, and perhaps the best beloved by the Portuguese people. As Queen of Portugal, Brazil, and the Algarves, she was known as Maria the Pious while ruling in Portugal, or Maria the Mad after fleeing to Brazil in 1807 from Napoleon's invasion. Incapacitated by her growing madness, Maria I died in Rio de Janeiro in 1816.
Civilopedia said:
Judgment of History
Despite her madness, Maria I is a greatly admired figure in both Portugal and Brazil, due to the changes and events that took place during her reign. In Portugal, she is now regarded as a strong female figure in its long history. Her place in the culture of that land is best displayed in the Queluz National Palace, a baroque masterpiece that she helped conceive. In Brazil, she is thought to be one of the key figures in the eventual independence of that nation. While her personal life may have been lamentable, her historical legacy is not.

Errrr... What? :confused: I might have not paying attention during History Class, but I'm not even sure what I emphasized is even true.
First of all, since when is House of Braganza "characterized by tragedy and madness for centuries"? That's not how I knew them - is that how they are seen in the outside world? :confused: You could say Maria I's life was "characterized by tragedy and madness", for obvious reasons, but the entire dynasty's? Is it because of the Earthquake and the Regicide? Is that what they are trying to reach?

Then they say Maria I is "undoubtedly the best known to the world" (OK, I can accept that - though I have to ask it to a broader audience if they can clear this up), "and perhaps the best beloved by the Portuguese people."
Now, I didn't enjoy History Class a whole lot back at the day, but I barely remember talking about her! :confused: We talked about Marquês de Pombal, we talked about the Earthquake of 1755, but... I just don't remember a whole lot of talk about Dona Maria I - not until the Napoleonic Invasion, at least, and how the royal family fled to Brazil (which certainly doesn't make her "the best beloved by the Portuguese people")...

About the last part, we have Dona Maria considered "a greatly admired figure in both Portugal and Brazil", despite the fact that I barely heard of her during school, and from what I get from Brazilian users of this forum, is completely false and she is NOT admired in Brazil!
"In Portugal, she is now regarded as a strong female figure in its long history" - again, despite the fact that the only mention I remember of her if how she (and the rest of the royal family) fled to Brazil (which is not a "strong female figure" trait), and "In Brazil, she is thought to be one of the key figures in the eventual independence of that nation" - again, despite the fact that Brazilian users IN THIS VERY THREAD have claimed it to be FALSE! (Not that she wasn't a key figure in their eventual independence - Brazilians [or maybe that user in particular? I MIGHT be in the wrong here] just don't like her, it seems)

WHY IS THE CIVILOPEDIA LYING? (Or, where am I wrong here? Is Dona Maria I really considered that great of a Queen, and I somehow never got the memo?)
This is leaving me SERIOUSLY confused here! :confused: I feel either Firaxis or education has failed me...

Don't get me wrong, I did do some research on her, and got to learn about some of her actual deeds (which were NOT mentioned in the Civilopedia!) - but somehow I feel I still think either Civilopedia is missing the mark, or I'm just in need of an History lesson... :sad:

I agree with you. They wanted a female leader and seema that they chose one at random. Maria II would have been better I think.

Maria I is not that well known by the portuguese, nor beloved as they say in civilopedia, and I don't think she is the most known regent of the fourth dynasty in the world. If we had to chose a king good to both Brazil and Portugal I would say Pedro IV.

There are other things that upset me. They chose maria I, they could focus on her good policies in portugal, but civilopedia really focus on her madness and conection to Brazil, leaving the construction os Queluz Palace for 2 lines. In the 6 texts of civilopedia, there is not even one that does not talk about ther madness. The Dawn of Man screen is also awful. I hope that civilopedia changed a little bit the way people see portuguese history in 17th and 18th centuries, but that revealed to be false. Reading these lines about maria I I can only learn that portugal had mad rulers and tragic history and that they led to Brazil independece. Nothing more...

So much potential for other portuguese leaders, or even for Maria, there must be beter ways to explore her rule. Firaxis was really bad on this part.

Still, I will not think twice when playing on friday with portugal. ;)

well the Braganza had some tragedies this one with Maria the Civil War between Liberals and Miguelistas, the Earthquake, and the way it ended with the assassination of D.Carlos I....

I'm happy with the inclusion of Portugal as one of the new civs in BNW, but sure I'm portuguese... Maria wouldn't be my first choise (not even 2nd or 3rd...) for leader but if Firaxis wanted at least one new female leader I'll take it as it is.

There's something special about hearing another leader speaking to you in your 1st language. I also enjoy the subtleties in Maria speech and behavior that seems to indicate some irrationality but nothing really over the top, at least from what I've seen. The choice of music seems also to be adequate with some traditional portuguese music that helps you getting into the spirit of it.

we have to see that is very good including unknown leaders, it shows more knowledge to those who didnt knew before, per example with England civ we have always Elizabeth and Victoria, no Henry no other leader, with Spain we always have Isabella no one else, with Portugal we had Henrique, João and now Maria, this is good.

Top Bottom