Portugal Discussion

Maybe because Firaxis need a female leader, and there are not many available choice for new civ in BNW that have female leader

It was the only reason I think. There are many good male leaders for portugal that would work better than Maria I. And in Portugal, she is not that well known by general people as D. Afonso Henriques or D. Manuel I :p

It was not a good leader choice. Althought, I think the developers have worked the Portuguese Empire very well. And Maria I doesn't seem such a bad choice as I used to consider. If we need a female leader (and we need), she is one of the best options right now. She is not considered mad here in Portugal. And Maria is like the most used female name in Portugal, there are "Marias" everywhere, so she reflects the portuguese women xD

Maria was a terrible choice for Portugal, but I am looking forward to finally playing as my one of my favorite civilizations. I actually have held off buying Civ V until Portugal was included.

I think it was the French article that said the UA is additional gold for trade routes. That's pretty much the same wording as the current Arabian UA, albeit with different trade route types. I wonder if that means Arabia is getting a new UA too.

Arabia is good as is (which i'm not saying you are claiming otherwise), but I think something with their caravans would be good, or at least unique.

I think i spoted Portugals UA

Poland
Spoiler :

Portugal

Look at the luxury resources wield, 50 each for Poland, 100 each for Portugal

So the extra gold per trade route is linked to the luxurys (their bonus is doubled)

Yes, the Gameskult preview claims "Le Portugal répond aussi à l'appel avec Marie Ière à sa tête et une capacité spéciale qui génère beaucoup plus d'or sur les routes commerciales." ("...and a special ability that generates a lot more gold from trade routes.")

edit: Ed Beach says it explicitly in this video: "double the amount of gold for having diverse sets of resources."

I think i spoted Portugals UA

Poland
*snip*
Portugal
*snip*

Look at the luxury resources wield, 50 each for Poland, 100 each for Portugal

So the extra gold per trade route is linked to the luxurys (their bonus is doubled)

A possibility - but the difference may be justified another way:
City States give 50 (percent?) bonus, and Major Civilizations give 100.

There's nothing nowhere, that I know of, to deny this, and would make sense to encourage trade with Civilizations instead of just City States.
Just a thought! :mischief:

EDIT:
edit: Ed Beach says it explicitly in this video: "double the amount of gold for having diverse sets of resources."

Oh... errrr...:hide:

Yes, the Gameskult preview claims "Le Portugal répond aussi à l'appel avec Marie Ière à sa tête et une capacité spéciale qui génère beaucoup plus d'or sur les routes commerciales." ("...and a special ability that generates a lot more gold from trade routes.")

Its true them, just watched the video :lol:
I was right :crazyeye:

Portugal will be more a exploration and trade Civ, looking for luxurys and citystates to make profit.I am completely in love.

Now the big question is, if i will be playing Portugal or i will let they be the AI just to listen Maria saying crazy things to me :lol:

"Sell Exotic Goods" is an ability of the Nau and has nothing to do with Feitoras. The Feitora in that shot is still under construction.

In at least two photos, we've seen that the button is not present - this indicates there is some limitation to it's usage... Hmmmm, wait a bit...

Thinking about it further, it's very well possible the button disappears once you do it once - hence not being there all the time.
However, it makes little sense to be able to sell exotic good anywhere on the world. In this photo, however, the Nau isn't in any significant place per se - it's not inside the City State's borders (like you need to be with Great Merchants), nor is it adjacent to any city (like you need to be with missionaries), so I thought it was the Feitoria that was allowing the Nau to sell it's goods (and it would allow for a great synergy between them!! :D Building Naus would make the Feitorias extra useful, and building Feitorias would make the Naus extra useful!!! :mischief:).

So, I wonder - what lets the Nau sell it's goods? If the Feitoria isn't a pre-requisite, then can we do it with other Civilizations? Do we only need to be adjacent to the city's borders for it to count? Does that mean we can trade with land-locked City-States as long as their borders can reach the sea? Must we be at peace with that city-sate/civilization?

CIV needs another new world modern power as a counterpart of Spain. For instance, there's Brazil/Portugal & America/England. I wonder if Cuba or Colombia/Venezuela would be a good choice?

I don't think Mexico would be good because they occupy more or less the same land as Aztecs/Mayans, and I'm all for new civs which aren't currently represented geographically.

However, it makes little sense to be able to sell exotic good anywhere on the world. In this photo, however, the Nau isn't in any significant place per se - it's not inside the City State's borders (like you need to be with Great Merchants), nor is it adjacent to any city (like you need to be with missionaries), so I thought it was the Feitoria that was allowing the Nau to sell it's goods (and it would allow for a great synergy between them!!

So, I wonder - what lets the Nau sell it's goods? If the Feitoria isn't a pre-requisite, then can we do it with other Civilizations? Do we only need to be adjacent to the city's borders for it to count? Does that mean we can trade with land-locked City-States as long as their borders can reach the sea? Must we be at peace with that city-sate/civilization?
The Nau is adjacent to the city-state's territory, so it seems plausible that's the requirement. It's not clear whether this will work with major civilizations also, but it seems logical. And again, the Feitora can't be involved, because it's not finished yet in that shot. There are no Improvements in the game that have any effect when they are unfinished or pillaged; that just wouldn't make any sense.

Well, that's sad, really... :( They lost out on a really interesting relationship between a UU and a UI (where they would both benefit from each other, while still having a bonus on their own), and in the process created the really weird scenario where it's possible to sell exotic goods with a land-locked city state we literally just met while the nau is in the ocean, which seems a bit silly.

Also - from the snapshots we can see the nau has two promotions (plus three triangle promotions we cannot identify). Sure, those might have been from the selling of the goods, but interestingly they are always the same promotions, on all photos. What are they? Is it possible the Nau starts off with them?

EDIT: Ok, I decided not to be lazy, and went to check the civlopedia! :lol: So currently, the caravel starts with two triangle promotions. Assuming they stay the same, this means that the Nau has one extra triangle promotion! Not only that, the two other promotions are Coastal Raider I and Coastal Raider II, which means the nau (or, at least, that nau) has a +40% :c5strength: Combat Strength when attacking Cities and steal gold equal to 66% of the damage inflicted on a city. It also has +1 :c5moves: Movement than the Caravel (possibly given by the third triangle promotion?).

Well, that's sad, really... :( They lost out on a really interesting relationship between a UU and a UI (where they would both benefit from each other, while still having a bonus on their own), and in the process created the really weird scenario where it's possible to sell exotic goods with a land-locked city state we literally just met while the nau is in the ocean, which seems a bit silly.
But remember that the idea of the Nau's ability is that you want to send the Nau out in the unknown, explore new territory, and sell the goods as far from home as possible. That doesn't work very well if you have to send a Worker to build an improvement first.

Also - from the snapshots we can see the nau has two promotions (plus three triangle promotions we cannot identify). Sure, those might have been from the selling of the goods, but interestingly they are always the same promotions, on all photos. What are they? Is it possible the Nau starts off with them?
It's possible that it starts out with the Coastal Raider promotions, but it could just as easily have earned them normally. The Nau already has +1 movement, Sell Exotic Goods, and the unknown triangle promotion you mentioned; giving it Coastal Raider as well seems like overkill.

But remember that the idea of the Nau's ability is that you want to send the Nau out in the unknown, explore new territory, and sell the goods as far from home as possible. That doesn't work very well if you have to send a Worker to build an improvement first.

Oh, I see how it could work nicely like that! :) Still would be nice if there was some bonus if the City-State had a Feitoria, to bring the player to set posts in far away lands and further communicate with the City State (it's probably a good idea to be at least friends with the city-states before going to build the feitoria, otherwise every turn your worker spends inside city state territory only hurts your influence with them). Nothing major, +20% money or something, depending on how much money, on average, it brings (the feitoria seems really powerful as it is).

Selling exotic goods doesn't seem to bring any influence with the City-State, which seems a bit clashing: you can trade with them and sell them these goods for ages, yet your relation with them doesn't change one bit from it.

The idea, the way I was seeing it, would be to ally with far way city states and use the feitoria to both gain double resources and allow the city state to earn you money, effectively making it almost like a self-governed colony! :) You'd have a bunch of these spread across the map, and routinely send naus to earn money - which, in turn, can be used to invest on more "colonies", or to strengthen the relationship you have with your current ones, or to develop infrastructure in them (you can pay 200 :c5gold: to have resources improved).

I can still do this, though, so I'm still happy! :p
(And yes, I'm aware I can "colonize" like this already, but as they are, City-States area huuuge money-sink to approach it like that, and no money is earned from it, unlike in the real world where, even if they were only just in the sphere-of-influence, instead of being under direct control, they were still great money-makers for the empire, besides the prestige and status they gave... At least, from my limited understanding of it... Hopefully I'm not saying complete stupidity! :lol:)

TL;DR: My mistake was weighting too much the colonial aspect of Portugal, and glossing over the exploration and trade which are the focus of Portugal for the expansion (and, truth be told, it fits better than the former - unfortunately, though, the only thing in the game helping with overseas colonization is Spain's Conquistador's ability to settle cities. England has a naval movement bonus (and none of the uniques help in this case) and the Netherlands have a diplomatic bonus (and the sea beggar gives a military and gold bonus), both of which can help, but nothing screams for it...)... I dunno, it's late, I think I'm not making any sense whatsoever! :lol: I shouldn't post in this state...:hide:

The Portuguese UA should be related to trade AND exploration. Portuguese Exploration was very important to establish the portuguese and all the other european empires.

The UA name should be "The Fifth Empire".

Top Bottom