Portugal Discussion

Hm, Mare Clausum, in reference, most likely to the Treaty of Tordesillas, where the pope decided that half of the world was Spanish, and the other half was Portuguese (because that won't piss off anybody!!! :D /s). I was expecting something more Portuguese, but I can see what they are trying to get at.

EDIT:
Wikipedia said:
The papacy helped legitimize and strengthen these claims, since Pope Nicholas V, who by the bull Romanus Pontifex of 1455, prohibited others to navigate the seas under the Portuguese exclusive without permission of the king of Portugal.
On second thought, if we take in mind the effects of the UA, it actually fits really nice. Until we remember that the other nations of Europe did not give a damn about it, and sailed away did still did, and the result was privateers! :lol:

By the way, which video is that snapshot from? I don't remember seeing it...

I just love how they turned cowardice into 'wise stewardship' :lol:

:lol: Yeah, and I find it weird that they would talk about that, in particular... Come on, I listed, a few posts back, some things Dona Maria I did that they could have mentioned, but instead they decided to mention how she ran away from the scary frenchmen! :p Silly Firaxis!

Half of that text is about Brazil and they sugar coated Maria I's madness and cowardice. It really feels like we were only included because Brazil also was and we had to be there to make their inclusion more meaningful. Hate what you've done Firaxis.

It might be nice to show this screenshot from one of the available vids:
That just has to be the worst description of a nation/leader ever. Basically it is just saying that she ran away, kept ruling while she was sick, held good ties with Brazil and thats it. It doesn't give a single good argument (I honestly doubt that a former colony gaining its independence is considered an achievement, at least not in those times) about why she would have been a good leader for Portugal.

That just has to be the worst description of a nation/leader ever. Basically it is just saying that she ran away, kept ruling while she was sick, held good ties with Brazil and thats it. It doesn't give a single good argument (I honestly doubt that a former colony gaining its independence is considered an achievement, at least not in those times) about why she would have been a good leader for Portugal.

Couldn't agree more. It's a slap in the face.

It is only made worse since they don't talk about Portugal at all - it's all about Dona Maria I. Come on Firaxis, in some leaders you talk about the nation they ruled over, this would have been a great way to "dodge a bullet", as it were. I'm pretty certain you did the research, if all you could find for her is "she had an illness, she ran away and Brazil gained independence", then talk less about her and more about the people she is representing.

It is only made worse since they don't talk about Portugal at all - it's all about Dona Maria I. Come on Firaxis, in some leaders you talk about the nation they ruled over, this would have been a great way to "dodge a bullet", as it were. I'm pretty certain you did the research, if all you could find for her is "she had an illness, she ran away and Brazil gained independence", then talk less about her and more about the people she is representing.

I agree, I am disappointed with this introduction Firaxis. So many things left to say and you didnt even capture the spirit behind the age of discovery and the cultural aspect of encompassing the globe. Although the gameplay seems to represent the exploration and cultural, trade interaction made with different nations. Having a special relationship with Brazil and their independence was pretty much pacific because of our reasoning as a nation. Nevertheless, the civilisation Maria stands for is the portuguese civilisation. More effort should have been made to represent Portugal and its people and history in concerning this introduction.

wow....that description....i hate the fact that they've ignored so much more important portuguese leaders just to have a requisite number of women in

Hmm...no beard and no big, floppy hat. :rolleyes:

Portugal seems like a really fun civ to play as...nice color combination, a cool UI/UU and a potentially strong UA.

Just came across this video, at 1:26 the Nau makes 68:c5gold: but only 6XP from selling exotic goods. Looking at the XP bar it's clear the coastal raider promos are earned normally.

Regardless of the leader choice (Which I'm not a fan of, because John II certainly had that rockin' goatee, which would fit nicely with the assorted beards we've had so far), Portugal are definitely shaping up to a be a very fun Civ - and what's more, a very new Civ. A UI that seems to function completely differently to anything we've seen, a UA that takes advantage of a new mechanic, and a UU that, well, is still a bit of a mystery.

Just came across this video, at 1:26 the Nau makes 68:c5gold: but only 6XP from selling exotic goods. Looking at the XP bar it's clear the coastal raider promos are earned normally.

It's still pretty good for using this ability just 1 hex outside Portuguese border. It was said earlier that you get more gold and XP the farther you sell goods off the Nau.

Hmm...no beard and no big, floppy hat. :rolleyes:
True, but have you seen her hair? :lol: That's on a level above even Elizabeth!!! :mischief: I'm sure it more than makes up for her beard (or lack thereof)! :lol:

If we have production to spare, building naus upon naus, going to the farthest city state, selling the goods (and then come back and delete the unit so it doesn't cost us more maintnence, or keep it to form a strong fleet) will yield tons of money!!! :eek: That's crazy! :lol: 6XP seems alright - and it's so close to Lisbon! A farway city may probably yield +20XP or even +40XP on bigger maps, which would be one or two levels, if I'm not mistaken.

I wonder if it will take in consideration the size of the map... Also, will the bonus grow linearly? Will there be a cap on how much you can get?
I'm finding the tool-tip a bit vague... :rolleyes:

The information about portugal is getting strange.
Friday we had a good UU and a good UI (and a good color scheme, IMO), but the leader was a strange choice. Still, it passed...
But now we have a bad description, bad feitoria symbol, bad UA name... What the hell firaxis? Portugal is much more than Napoleon Invasions and independence of Brazil. The description is not even focused to the naval expansion, is only about the leader (and Maria I was more than a lunatic...). And the symbol of the feitoria is the opposite of those graphics. Plus, the UA has a very bad name. Plus, it is only focused on trade, and exploration would be a thing to consider in this (the UA is not bad).

Portugal is my nation and had a 1st place in my civ games. Now I don't know, it is good but not as good as it could be. There were better ideas made by fans to the description, leader, UA name, ...

Icons, leaders, descriptions, and names are all garnishes. You don't send the steak back because the parsley sprig was wilted. The actual UA, UU, and UI are awesome and that is what makes for good game play.

But now we have a bad description, bad feitoria symbol, bad UA name... What the hell firaxis? Portugal is much more than Napoleon Invasions and independence of Brazil. The description is not even focused to the naval expansion, is only about the leader (and Maria I was more than a lunatic...). And the symbol of the feitoria is the opposite of those graphics. Plus, the UA has a very bad name. Plus, it is only focused on trade, and exploration would be a thing to consider in this (the UA is not bad).

What's the problem with the name of the UA?

It might be nice to show this screenshot from one of the available vids:

This is ridiculous. And I knew this would somehow happen.

So the Portuguese introduction speech is pretty much a praise on how Maria I was behind the birth of yet another nation - Brazil, who also happens to feature in the game?

:lol:

And it gets even more ridiculous when you take in account the fact Maria barely ruled at all. Because she got demented (and spent a great part of her life in Brazil), João, her son, was the prince regent.

Firaxis blowed up this civilization because of some ridiculous women quota. Sure thing, that may be a good idea to include in a game, but please, you can't change the past. This gender equality thing is recent...

P.S - Someone send an e-mail, undersigned with civfanatics nicknames, for them to change that description...

Icons, leaders, descriptions, and names are all garnishes. You don't send the steak back because the parsley sprig was wilted. The actual UA, UU, and UI are awesome and that is what makes for good game play.

Exactly.

I just love how they turned cowardice into 'wise stewardship' :lol:

It was 'wise stewardship'. What good it would be to stay in Lisbon? Allow the royal family with its riches and the portuguese fleet to be captured by the french? By moving to Brazil, the House of Branganza wasn't forced to surrender and kept the legitimacy of the trone. Napoleon never designated one of his family members as the King of Portugal because that title was taken. The portuguese empire kept fighting with its capital safe from invasion, and eventualy the country was liberated. I think it was a great move, and it's something unique to our history, the only colonial empire that moved its capital to a colony.

I don't like the description either, as it says nothing about Portugal as a nation (maybe they'll add a paragraph later I hope), and the description is also unfair to Maria because it does seem that Maria continued to rule while she was mad, and that is not true. The decision to move the court to Brazil was made by John VI, the de facto ruler.

Brazil is a HUGE mark in Portuguese history (I'll go ahead and say it's the ultimate legacy of the Portuguese Empire, what with having a rising superpower in the 21st century which will be a key to solve many of the issues the world is now facing - especially environmentally wise), but it feels weird to have a civilization that somehow resembles the continuation of the other.

You can't say the US is so pegged to England in Civilization as Portugal and Brazil will now be. You don't see a single reference to America in England's description, and don't come here saying that it is like that because Elizabeth had nothing to do with the American independence: descriptions should be about something more than the featured ruler in the game.

You could somehow tame down the complaints on Maria's choice if you, somehow, inserted in the description the reference to Portugal's past achievements and its legacy in today's world. Yet they skipped that.

I know this won't affect the game at all - you only listen to that introduction for 1 minute or two each game -, but this seems so half-arsed on fireaxis party. I wish they amended this.

It somehow feels a downplay on Portugal's role in the Renascence and Europe's expansion. Portugal was a major player in that, and ultimately started the process that allows us to be writing in American technology computers, based on the ancient idea of a Frenchman who thought of the abstract concept of "computers", using the now global English language, and in a world where the West - for better and the for worse - used to command without opposition until very recently.

This was Portugal's legacy. Making it a "well, they gave us Brazil and fought against Napoleon" is almost insulting. I hope they really change the description and put some effort into the Civopedia Portugal's entry.

Top Bottom