[POSSIBLE BUG] Embarked land unit blockaded my city!

ButSam

King
Along the lines of embarked land unit bugs...

In the attached save, there is an Iroquois embarked pikeman which appears to be blockading Ankara! To see this, go into the Ankara city screen, and look at the Citizen Allocation. You will see that the embarked pikeman is in fact providing a blockade. The water tiles are all marked with the red military symbol, showing they can't be worked.

Embarked units only blockade if you are at war with that civ. Still, this doesn't make any sense, the embarked units have no bombard capability and no attack capability, so they should not be able to blockade.

Yet another embarked unit bug...

Attachments

• Sam-Suleiman_Bug_Blockade.Civ5Save
    714.3 KB · Views: 280
Agreed, it doesn't make sense that a non-combat unit could blockade a city. Still, the documentation only refers to "enemy naval units" being able to blockade, which includes embarked units. It's difficult to decide whether this is a design decision or an oversight. OTOH, according to both the manual and the Civilopedia, blockading only renders harbor trade routes inoperative. Nowhere is it mentioned that it makes tiles unworkable. Does anyone have an opinion on how to treat this situation?

I think this makes sense.
Blockading means, that every civil trade + travel is not going on in that area.
If you have a boat of sword wielding guys swimming in front of your harbor, would a trade ship want to leave that harbor? I don't think so.

Perhaps it is intentional, but embarked units have no attack value so how can they intimidate the entire city? Perhaps the tile they are on, but shutting down everything because of a transport with no attack capacity on water seems too extreme. In the example posted save game, the city enters starvation because of a unit that can't attack on water blocking all water tiles, which seems excessive. I think we should at least alert 2K of this so they can decide whether it is intended; sounds like the behavior is confirmed, it is a possible bug but depends on 2K's intent.

Agreed. I'll post this thread in the Possible Bugs list, tag it accordingly and move it to the Confirmed Bugs forum.

Moderator Action: Moved to Confirmed Bugs forum.

Top Bottom