Post Short Single Player Tips Here

I think you are correct, I changed it. My point was once you make the airfield, you can make whatever improvement you need and not destroy anything.

No idea, in would make sense to have it destroy all improvements as you would scrape the ground flat. I guess it was a play balance issue. I doubt that the AI has a clue about airfields. iirc they did not exist in vanilla, so anything tacked on later is shakey.

If you "pop" a Goody Hut and unleash a horde of Barbarians, head for the Hills!

If you move to a nearby hill or mountain, the barbarians will attack you, even if you're fortified!!........So, even a lowly Warrior should be able to defeat 2 attacking Barbarians. :)

I didn't see this in the posts but I could have missed it somewhere in the 36 pages . . .

While you should always adjust your tech slider for the best deal each turn, pay special attention when you are at 5 turns or less for a new tech. Often you can turn the tech slider down, bring in the tech in the same number of turns, and also make more money. You make a lot of money this way.

If you "pop" a Goody Hut and unleash a horde of Barbarians, head for the Hills!

If you move to a nearby hill or mountain, the barbarians will attack you, even if you're fortified!!........So, even a lowly Warrior should be able to defeat 2 attacking Barbarians. :)

In C3C, if you use the default setting of AIPatrol (it's off by default) then the Barbs will only attack in a NW/SE direction; if you want them to attack your units (for example to get cheap promotions) then make sure to move into a position NW/SE of the Barbs.

I thought that building a Forbidden City (via Great leader Rush) would prevent Cultural Flip. Wrong!
Took a foreign capital I wanted to keep, and immediately used a GL to build the FP. A few turns later it flipped! Guess I should have pre-built for an FP back home, then used GL to build new Palace in captured city.

If theres once piece of advice I can offer is, it's this:

Disable cultur flips in the beginning. Wow what a stupid thing to put into the game, I dont have the words to describe how ******ed that idea is.

Whoever came up with it should be beaten. :D

Hello, I'm a new poster and a lousy typist. I got into Civ3 just a couple of years ago and have been playing way more than I should. I'm going to try switching to Civ4 soon. I'll be late there as well. But I have found some tactics for Civ 3 that I haven't seen mentioned here. Maybe they were and I missed them or they are just obvious. I usually play the expanded 'complete' version at the emperor level on a huge map. Getting long so will break post.

Special City placement tips:

1) A town can lift water across hills. If you have a lot of territory that is cut off from irrigation by hills. A town on the hills that touches fresh water or irrigated squares allows irrigation on the other side. If the location is really poor for a city you can abandon it later afterward.

2) Look for places to build a Panama city so that ships can pass from one ocean to another. The AI players rarely do this and it can be a big advantage when you need to switch warfronts. Such towns often can act as important strong points to make jnvasion nearly impossible. If they don't block land passage entirely a few fortresses/baracades can help close it off.

As an official Permanent Resident of Panama, I concur with your tips! :goodjob: :)

P.s. I'd like to be as lousy a typist as you are! :lol:

Welcome to CFC. :band: :beer: :banana: :cheers:

I often play (emperor) a very aggresive expansionist game. Stay in despotism until communism is available and create/capture way more than the optimal number of cities. This works if the geography & resources are not too bad. But you get WAY behind in tech. This is not an unusual strategy but there is one thing I discovered that I haven't seen mentioned here.

If you manage to capture the Great Library fairly late you can get a huge Tech windfall. A neighbor on a medium sized island built the GL early but still became a weakling. By the time I captured it the GL gave me all the techs up to and including Communism even though Education makes it obsolete but if you don't yet have education it will give you everything known to two civs.

Have you tried this one? (Beam me up!)
Your invading force has managed to take an enemy city but you are beat up and far from own lines and reinforcements. You have had ridiculous bad luck with the combat or some ally has betrayed you and you have no reserves available. Your enemy is going to retake the city and wipe out your force. What to do?

Pull every unit back into town. If you think it will be a long time until you can retake it sell every improvment in the town. Then give it to some disinterested third civ. If you ask all the other civs if they will trade for it they will never want it but they always take it if you give it as a gift. Energize, your troops are back safe in your capital.

Bizarrely, I did this once giving the town to a very weak civ which had other towns not so far away and my enemy never retook the town even though the civ I gave it to never put a defender in it. I recaptured it 20 yrs later still undefended.

Try warring in Republic, it is a whole new game

One more oddball strategy.
Playing the Maya on Emperor level I found myself on a resource poor large island or small continent. One corner of my island was very rugged so it was nearly uninhabitable for towns. Well into modern times barbarians were still being spawned and I had an incredible number of captured workers. My island became impossible to invade because I was able to spread a human shield of workers around my coast. Only a marine or a paratrooper could come ashore and no civ ever sent more than a handful of these which were easily destroyed.

This is a very good tip.......It was the only way I survived (and subsequently won) a game as the only civ on an island, playing at Sid level (Archipelago map). :)

When invading enemy territory don´t forget to bring.....settlers and workers...workers build and repair roads and settlers will build "forts" close to enemy bigger cities. This will provide an advanced "medic camp" on enemy ground and also deny heal to defending units cut off in the envolping movement It´s also a chance for your defenders to get a piece on the action rather then just staying idle on the home front, and extra cities are always good to have, like to increase unit support, you can disband them later if you want.

So, when invading do like Trajan did, build cities as "forts" and attack by defending first.

In the early game, hit "H" and improve any unworked tiles.

I have 'worker creep'. I get so focused on expanding my empire that workers tend to get spread out building roads everywhere or improving that juicy bonus tile by the new city I just founded.:mischief: Getting the core optimized should take priority.

This is more for myself than anyone else. :lol:

Top Bottom