1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Post Short Single Player Tips Here

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Padma, Jul 18, 2003.

1. creamcheese

creamcheese Spreading since 1990

:dunno: I'll have to try this out in my latest game. I guess I always go scientists first since they give 3 not 2.

2. CKS

CKS Deity

I don't know why you'd want to be going through an anarchy period after learning replaceable parts, though. This doesn't seem to me to be a particularly useful bit of information, only interesting.

3. creamcheese

creamcheese Spreading since 1990

I'll use a religious civ and go Republic-->fascism. For a world ending war, strictly for fun, not score. Actually... maybe I'll go germany. Hmm.

4. vorlon_mi

vorlon_mi Just One More Turn

If you build an army, use it!

Even if you tend to be a builder like me (and less of a warmonger), there will be a point in the game where there are fewer *useful* buildings to build. Building units (even in peacetime) can be useful so you don't appear to be a pushover to the AI. Note: the AI fears offensive units more than defensive units.

However, if you are running Republic and have built yourself a sizeable number of military units, they will eventually start eating into your economy. So, don't keep them sitting around your cities ... use them! Locate some land (esp. with good resources) that you want to add to your empire, and go get it!

5. micklaboom

micklaboom Chieftain

love the game enjoy every turn and it will happen :)

6. Squire 2

Squire 2 Chieftain

The bait city

I read through the first nine pages and didn't notice this mentioned, but since the AI know the defences of all of your cities it sometimes pays to keep one city deep in your territory weakly defended. The AI will often try to send their big stacks directly for this small, meaningless city- not aware that your defensive units are just sitting next to the city ready to step in when anybody gets near. You can pick off this stack at leisure, making sure everything on route to the bait city is well defended so they don't suddenly attack an important city on the way. This has worked wonders for me in the past

It also works well to lure enemy transports. If an enemy civ is attacking from overseas and there is one city with a single spearman while the rest have 2 or 3 infantry, they'll often ignore these other cities and waste many turns going after the bait city. They don't seem to recognise that it has the same (or better) defences than everything else because they don't pay attention to the 5 infantry units sitting on a tile adjacent to it, ready to step in and fortify should the AI make it all the way there intact

7. dansb123

dansb123 Chieftain

Hi guys, I'm new around here and new to Civ III and I was wondering how I go about liberating/razing a city that consists of a single-square in the middle of the sea?

8. Everkane

Everkane Valar Morghulis

1 - you can take/destroy the other cities and when you are going to make peace, ask for this city then abandon it.

2 - the only way to attack it is through bombardment (ships/bombers/etc) and with units with amphibious ability (viking's berserkers, marines). You can kill every unit with lethal bombardment then take it with the parashooter or the marines (in the case of the marines you don't need to kill with lethal bombardment since they are able to attack directly from transport)

9. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

Be careful not to take too many of their cities, because if that one-tile island becomes their capital, they'll never give it to you in a peace deal... :D

Nope, this doesn't work! Parachutes cannot take cities, even if the city is empty! They just die when dropped on that square. This is different from Civ2, where it was still possible to take empty cities by parachutes. :(

10. dansb123

dansb123 Chieftain

Thanks Everkane and Lanzelot for the info. I just produced a marine and popped him in the city (I had already killed/destroyed everything via bombardment) to take it over :)

11. Everkane

Everkane Valar Morghulis

Ahm, ok.

I never used parachuters on civ 3 so I thought they could take a city like on civ 2.

:lol:

12. Meteor Man

Meteor Man En Route to M81

Marines are the only way. Or else wait 1000 years for the city to culture flip. :rolleyes:

13. Kartovskiy

Kartovskiy Chieftain

No patches have fixed this.

But anyways, this tip works for certain nations, most notably egypt and the byzantines.

After starting out, build settlers, alot of settlers, for every new city you get, will increase your gold income. Then select Monarchy when you get it, after so many times, you'll be making damn near 100 gold per turn, but the main thing here is you HAVE to continuously expand, building new cities before becoming a monarchy.

14. Meteor Man

Meteor Man En Route to M81

Isn't this just how to play the game? :lol:

15. Kartovskiy

Kartovskiy Chieftain

Not necessarily

16. walletta

walletta King

I can't think of any tips that probably everybody else doesn't know already. On the contrary, I keep finding things out that I ought to know but didn't. I like ideas that cunningly exploit the properties of the AI, like the bait city mentioned by Squire 2, but I tend not to employ them much myself. I just think they're funny. Gee, there must be something I know. Nope. Can't think of anything :D

17. RS8

RS8 Chieftain

Don't play as the Hittites

18. NoAnswer

NoAnswer See You Space Cowboy...

+1

Tip: Play Commercial on Higher difficulties, but combine that with a trait that gives you cheaper buildings: Scientific, Religious, Militaristic. Agricultural would be a KILLER combo with Commercial, but will be trickier early on to get going.

Also: Egypt is one of the best civs.

19. NoAnswer

NoAnswer See You Space Cowboy...

Does this game have a way to Get workers to finish their work before the turn is over, like in Civ5? For example, to complete the job for a road that would be completed anyway.

20. justanick

justanick Emperor

What you refer to is to simply use more workers at a time. So if you want to build a road that costs 6 points and your workers produce 2 points per turn, than you need to use 3 workers simultaniosly. Also it should be noted that adding more workers to an assignment started in a prior turn can free up the workers from the prior turn. That can be convient if workers move over roads 2 tiles and then start doing something useful.