1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Post short tips here!

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Pragmatic, Nov 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amirsan

amirsan King of all Kings

Build The Great Library as soon as possible to get you out of money problems. If you don't got Literature yet the start building The Graet Pyramids or somrthing then switch when you get it. You should start getting shields in before or at the same time your opponents start buildin any wonder.

2. Bose

Bose Antipodean

If you see an AI's SOD heading your way, set up an ROP with them. Doesn't always work (probably never on higher levels) but at least it will give them a huge rep hit. Cleo seems to be the best at breaking ROP agreements...

3. Fanatix

Fanatix Mindless Drone

Isolationist-style countries (for example Japan in the 1800's) don't go far unless they are scientific. I learned this after being stuck on an island until I learned magnetism, only to find everyone else in the late Industrial ages

The Moral: When playing on an archipelago map, PICK A SCIENTIFIC CIV

4. Alvin

Alvin Warlord

What about a bunch of stupid damned elephanets killing my MA?

5. Sineras

Sineras Chieftain

Some great posts.
    Some of my tips.

If you are planning to go to war with another civ, try to research an advanced government first.Before going to war, try to sell them this, or even just give it to them.Check your embassy with them on the next turn.If their production is at '999'. You have just "caught the AI with his pants down".They are in anarchy and cannot produce anything in their cities for like 5 turns.Then attack like crazy.This works especially well with Democracy at higher levels.If the civ is religious of course this will not work.

Restart the game as many times as you have to, till you get a decent location for a starting city.Its not uncommon, for me anyway, to sit there for 20 minutes till I finally get one I like.

You will never get a settler from a goody hut if you have one currently in production.

Do all your trading with the AI's in the same turn.On the next turn any techs or maps etc. that you traded to one...all of them will have.

The early attacking game has been the most successfull for me anyway.Build 5 cities or so.barracks in the most productive.build 15-20 of you best unit and attack the nearest civ. You MUST take out the capital and their next biggest city though. The AI will still continue to expand and attack you with a pittifull force of a few bowman or something.Then sue for peace.I have gotten as many as 4 techs and the world map.This was on emperor level no less.

When attacking another Civ, always attack on at least 2 fronts and alternate.The AI will start to shift to the attacked cities.When it does, take the city, then attack on the other front and wait a turn for it to start shifting the other way.Then go back again etc..

The persian immortal and the Iroquois mounted warrior are the best UU's.

Don't get greedy building wonders. Pick 1 or 2 in each age and always have a back up you can fall back on in case another civ beats yo to it. Researching literature in the ancient era gives you something to fall back on if your pyramids don't work.

If you want to 'cheat' there is only one way I know of.Go into the editor, go into civilazations and pick your favorite civ. You can now create a scenerio with your civ having all civilazation attributes and 4 starting techs.The game tends to lose its challenge doing this though unless you are playing on Deity level.

Comments?

6. billindenver

billindenver King

Nice tip! Good first post!

7. MummyMan

MummyMan Emperor

A better thing to do would be to get the great lighthouse and just go to the other islands

8. general Patton

general Patton Chieftain

It has been my experience that when a strategic resource runs out your citizens find another location immediatly after you exhaust one

9. Grille

Grille panel insect

Then you were lucky (or had a large territory with certain tiles).

10. Szpoti

Szpoti Warlord

Yes, that's true: huge territory and luck are required coz exhausted resources appear right after venishing in a random position, of course not neccesserly in your realm again.

11. Naval Freak

Naval Freak Warlord

if u have an archepelago map and 80% H2O, a large navy is critakil. tis da onlee way 2 conquer newe lands and protect the Motherland.

very nice tip Sineras, i like the 'caught with pants down' thing. GREAT!!!!!!!!

12. JMK

JMK King

You are playing an OCC, and do not have enough worker when time to build RR comes, you buy coal and iron from your friends but only have 20 turns to RR your only one city.
    Build a worker every turn then use them to build RR when reaching 20 turns you should have completed your RR, then workers can join back the city.
    However, pay special attention to your revenue as when workers are built, your revenue will drop considerably.

13. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

w hile back I read someone wondering if people actually read thse: well, this thread has what, 130,000 some views?

14. da_greatest

da_greatest deity

This doesn't help as much on higher difficulty levels because the AI maximum anarchy time is 3 turns on emperor and 2 turns on deity.

15. Grille

Grille panel insect

The naval assault ability of pure marine armies didn't work in early versions of the game. Regarding this topic, there was recently some nebulosity about army abilities in the newbee thread. No *direct* tip, but don't put marines in armies. Pure marine armies are still not capable of launching attacks against cities from a transport in vanilla civ3.

16. Xerol

Xerol Emperor

If you wanna hurry something for full shields on the first turn of building it, hurry a worker and spend the double-gold penalty on that, then switch to whatever you're building and rush that the rest of the way for a little more than half as much as you would have paid for rushing the whole thing at once

17. Godwynn

Godwynn March to the Sea

On your first turn, when you begin the game, choose a technology manually on the science advisor screen, otherwise, you would get to choose on your 2nd turn, and lose 1 turn of advancement...

18. alancarre

alancarre Chieftain

Wow, great tip!

I haven't had the time to read through all these tips, so this may be a duplication (may be obvious too :))...

My Tip: If you're low on mech infs and have an enemy stack of cavalry or tanks coming at you, first weaken the stack with all the bombers and artillery you have and kill off any remaining undamaged units with tanks. Next, go around all your cities and conscript mech infs. Use the new mech infs to finish off the weakened stack, thereby upgrading them at the same time (I think they can attack twice too so it may be possible to get them up to veterans in one turn).

- Alan

19. DunkMan

DunkMan Chieftain

Just to let you know these posts do get read... It took nearly three days but I read them all...

For those of you who are going to be posting soon and haven't read all of the past posts yet.

We know about saving money on the research bar by turning it back, and we know about building a palace while you are waiting for the next wonder to come available.

Those 2 were posted about 50 times each.

20. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Oh I got one! Before building a wonder start building a palace BEFORE you get the tech!

Also, turn down science one turn before researching for extra gold! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.