1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Post Vehicle Requests for SnafuSmith

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Unit Graphics' started by snafusmith, May 23, 2006.

1. civaddict098

civaddict098 Prince

2. asioasioasio

asioasioasio Fallout Scrubber

3. Ekmek

Ekmek on steam: ekmek_e

4. Penitent

Penitent Pacifist Warmonger

5. jade8880

jade8880 Chieftain

I know I maybe sound too picky, but could you put team color on when you create new unit? I'd like to plead to all unit creator to put team color on, so the unit will fit into generic game better.

6. snafusmith

snafusmith Unit Maker

I only add team color to units that were used by multiple countries. If a unit was only ever used by a single country (like my B52, A10, you get the point) I won't add team color, as it's not appropriate.

7. Refar

Refar Deity

You are right, that units intended for one faction only, usually dont need team color. However some people might like to use a unit for a block of countries, in a mod or wahtever.

While it is no extra work at all, to add the possibility of team color when exportig from Max, it seems to be extremly difficult to add team color later wit NifViewer, and delivers inferior results.

All thats needed is the right shader setting when exporting. The people can then easily add team color by editing the Textures Alpha chanel, if they wish.

8. jade8880

jade8880 Chieftain

Refar:

Could you please explain more about it, or give us a tutorial?

9. snafusmith

snafusmith Unit Maker

Yeah, it's really easy to add team color to most units. I'm just not a fan of team color in general, that's why I don't include it.

10. woodelf

woodelf Bard Retired Moderator

I agree with smitty that team color isn't needed. Every unit has a flag on it anyhow.

11. Osymandias

Osymandias Grand King of Apes

I disagree. I love teamcolor and think that it makes a lot of the and adds to the flavour of the game. So i find it quite sad that such good unitmaker don't do teamcolor :(

12. asioasioasio

asioasioasio Fallout Scrubber

It was discovered how to add teamcollor couple of weeks ago - still it doesn't work very well in my case (gloss and shader problems).

And majority of snafusmith's units are before that moment (i'm sure about it because we try to help each other - when we discover something, we share it - and team coloor is one of the last things we're solving), and i also agree that unique units doesn't need teamcollor. With Refar's tutorial and my and snafusmith experiments But it's real hard to do this with dozens of units made previously

13. Refar

Refar Deity

Personally i like team color too. Snafusmith and Woodelf do not like it. This is obviously a question of personal taste, and this thread is not the right place to discuss it - sorry i started it in the first place :mischief:

There is now a tutorial in the "Tutorials & Reference" section on how to add team color to custom units fast with NifViewer, without to redo them in max.

14. avain

avain (key)

Teamcolor is cool - in moderation. Well placed team-colored bits (and I really mean only "bits") add to the overall quality of a unit. If a unit is highly unique thou, then I'd skip teamcolor also.

15. avain

avain (key)

snafusmith,
    I know you have your hands full of units you want to make, but in
    case you want to do a special unit, you could do this one,
    a mighty Railway Gun used by the Germans in WW2:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwerer_Gustav

I already have an idea for the use of it:
    You'd need to build a special building (probably wonder, I'd make it national), like e.g. the Krupp Firm, and then you could build a limited number of these. And these units could only be moved by railway (now this needs some modding). And of course needs Dale's ranged bombardment mod - and giving it a massive range bonus.

16. Wolfshanze

Wolfshanze CFC Historian

For the British, I haven't seen these (if they exist, please let me know).

How about a Challenger 1...

Or a Challenger II...

17. snafusmith

snafusmith Unit Maker

The Challenger II has been on my list for a while, I have no plans to make the Challenger I. If you send me a good number (I typically never make a unit without at least 40-50) of reference photos, along with a good 3-side view, it will speed the process up a lot.

18. Wolfshanze

Wolfshanze CFC Historian

19. snafusmith

snafusmith Unit Maker

If more people made a post like that Wolfshanze, then I would make more requests. I'll start on the Challenger II after I finish the MLRS. Right now my to-do list is something like this:

-Animate CV9040 (See Below ;) )
    -Skin Marder 1A3
    -Re-skin BMP2
    -Finish re-skinning Leopard 1
    -Re-re-skin BTR 80
    -Make T-90
    -Make M1A1 Abrams
    -Make MLRS
    -Make Challenger II
    -Make Warrior IFV

20. Wolfshanze

Wolfshanze CFC Historian

It's the least I can do Snafu... plus I do believe a Challenger II would be something the community at-large could really put to good use.

If this is indeed a "request", I'd humbly request the Challenger II in the 'blue/green' European camouflage pattern... like this

As retired military, I'm kinda tired of seeing everything in desert camo... Civ4 is mostly alternate history (or more properly "make your own"), and I'm sure the Challenger II would be more used in forests and grass then in desert in Civ4. Of course I'm not putting the sweat into making it, so do whatever you see fit, but if it's easy to do either/or camo-scheme, I'd prefer the European colors over the desert ones.

Thanks once-again for the good work Snafu... and please release all those spiffy models you're holding onto, especially the AMX30 and Leclerc... I gotta get my hands on those!