Pred - 03: Demigod everything random

predesad

Emperor
This is my goodbye to civ3 game (with the exception of a couple lingering PBEMs) since I am planning to go back to school in January & will no longer have an opportunity to play civ. I have never attmepted a demigod game & prefer 3-4 players who have also never won at Demigod. Once I get enough signups I will generate the game with everything random, no restarts, what we get is what we take. Once the roster is filled, the playing order will be randomized also. (I just have this thing about randomness.)

Although it is nearly October, I need this game to finish before January, that might not be possible so all players should realize up front that if the game does not finish by January & if I do indeed get to back to school at that time, I will have to drop.

basic rules:

-reputation is golden, do not trash our rep, an exception being at the very endgame where it no longer matters, if it's a choice between winning the game & keeping rep in tact, win the game

-a relaxed 24 hour "got it", 48 hour "play it" I say relaxed because I have always been hesitant to skip players and also since the roster is inexperienced at this level there may be times when a player chooses to stop in midsession to get some advice / input form other players.

-each turn session should be between 5 - 15 turns, instead of a strict 10 turns, each player has a little leeway in case they have a specific goal they are trying to accomplish, i.e. researching a certain tech, completing a complicated prebuild sequence for a wonder which might require a lot of micromanagement, finishing a war or an objective of a war. it is usually more efficient for one player to take a couple extra turns to accomplish a certain task than to try to explain what is going on to the next player.

-if / when a player makes a mistake, feel free to point it out, although sometimes mistakes are really just different views of strategy, and conversely accept criticism from the other players and lurkers without being offended

Roster:

1: predesad
2: (reserved)
3: nerovats
4: wooby
5: mastertyguy

When using default rules I'd like to join. As far as I remember I only played 1 DG game (an SG which we won). I also like to play random games. January is still 3 months away, so sould be ok, unless maybe if we were to draw a huge map.

I'd like to try...

I'm not even that great of an emporer player, but I'd like to give a SG a go...

:yeah: I may give a try. Never tried demigod, but I don't lose at Emperor. I never tried because I fear thsat free settler.

okay guys, I posted a few rules in the first post, I dont think they are too strict for anyone, any questions or other suggestions let me know. i am waiting for a response from an invite, nevertheless I will prolly start the game tonight. if they invited player does not respond we might pick up a 5th player later.

lurker's comment: even when I play random, map size is selected. are you gonna play large/huge maps?

MeteorPunch said:
lurker's comment: even when I play random, map size is selected. are you gonna play large/huge maps?

i select random on map size also, but we netted a small map. I used seed beast to extract the settings, i like playing random, but i dont like suproses especially when attempting a difficulty for the first time, actually I have played DG before, but it was modded, i did start a game as Rome for the HOF, but it hasn't progressed past the MIddle Ages and I dont expect to have time to finish it.

Anyway, here is our game settings extracted from seedbeast:

Worldsize: small
Landform: Arch
Water coverage: 80%
Climate, etc: wet, cool, 4 billion
barbs: none

civ:China

opponents:
Vikings, France, Persia, America, Maya

also, I neglected to mention a few game settings before, but all standard victory conditions are on, culture conversions are on, random seed is preserved, SGL's are off.

playing order determined by drawing names out of a hat:

1: nerovats
2: predesad
3: woobi
4: mastertyguy

nerovats: feel free to take about 20 turns on the first turnset since several of those turns will be spent just hitting enter

Here is the screenshot:

Attachments

• China start DG-SG.jpg
    China start DG-SG.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 418
okay, my thoughts are this could be a really easy game, or a real challenge depending on the availability of fresh water, let's hope that at least one of those coast tiles represents a lake, although a river just out of sight would be better.

with barbs off, if we are alone on our starting island, we can afford to go minimum military to start, putting more emphasis on curraghs and MPs than units.

my instinct, although I hate arch maps, especially for a militaristic civ, is to tech hard to chivalry, build a bunch of galleys & riders, & go wipe everyone out.

for an opening move, I say move worker to cow, nothing more to comment until we see if there is fresh water, lots of options, lots of possibilities. I dont like the fact that it looks like our capitol might end up being on the corner of an island, maybe i am wrong and the fog will be kind to us.

Move worker south, water NE looks sea to me
No luck all sea move settler on coast to get curagh asap, and leave room for city south of the sugars.
3950BC
found Beijing, science max at alpha
3750BC
warrior->warrior
3550BC
warrior->warrior
3500BC
spot purple border
3400BC
warrior->settler
It's the vikings, get alpha and 10gold for masonry
Change Bejing to curagh
science to writing
3250BC
spot blue border acros sea, curagh next turn
3200BC
Beijing curagh->settler
Contact mayans, they have pottery and 10gold for alpha, to cheap for me.
3000BC
Vikings learned the wheel, Mayans BW.
Tried getting both BW and potery but can't

Can still trade this turn.
Could get BW or pottery. I prefer pottery to get granary, we should be able to get writing first and trade that for the other techs, then go straight for philo, won't be able to go by CoL I think.
I suggest to finish this settler and found city on warrior, build a curagh in new city then worker. In Beijing granary then 2 settlers maybe rax when needing to wait for growth. Try to get 4 cties, al the room there is (1 next of suggars and 1 NE of hill). Then only build military and take out vikings before they get beserkers.

Well, not a very productive turnset, i didnt even bother with a real turn log:

pre-flight:

trade alphabet to maya for pottery + 10 G
trade pottery to vikings for bronze working

2900: Beijing builds settler, head to the suggested site --> curragh

worker starts roading to connect incense when new city is founded

2710: Shanghai founded --> curragh

2670: Beijing builds curragh --> barracks; changed production in Shanghai to barracks

I think this is one of those games where you have to throw the rule book out the window and just deal with the situation as it is. we have no fresh water & wont have any until / unless we take over the Vikings, it would be a long, long time before they would ever irrigate far enough to reach us. Before that would happen, they will be at war with us. It is a very small landmass, and land is at a premium. I anticipate a war with the Vikings very soon so I started building barrakcs so we can start on some vet archers / spears. We can plant maybe 2 more cities as is, maybe squeeze in another. Our land is not bad, if we just had fresh water. Our capitol cannot grow past 4 citizens, if SHanghai could potentially reach 5 citizens. Right now I feel a granary in either city is a waste of time and we should gear up for war. Plant a couple more cities. Another couple of workers, but there isnt really much for them to do because our cities are going to be so small. We could use another curragh, but our first one has almost reached home and is ready to go explore in another direction, depending on what we see in the fog around us, it may be time for a few suicide curraghs. But IMHO, I think gearing up for war is the top priority, the Vikings are bound to come knocking soon since the land is pretty much already gobbled up.

Suggestions anyone?

1: nerovats
2: predesad - just played
3: woobi - UP
4: mastertyguy - on deck

i was sure i took a screenie, but the machine says my clipboard is empty, i will try to get one posted in a few minutes.

forgot to mention in my other post, the vikings started colossus in 2850

Attachments

• China 2550 BC.jpg
    China 2550 BC.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 406
Nothing much happend really...

I agree a war with the Vikings is needed...

They researched Iron Worknig, and luckily, no Iron on their land...

Both cities compelted barracks and Beijng finished an Archer...

I connected the luxery and found what could be the Americans up top...

No disticnt turn log as it wasn't all to exciting...

I'm thinking maybe we need another worker, which might have been a mistake bulding the archer instead...

Also the vikings are closing in on our land looking to settle in the corner...

Maybe we should attack them even before they get there...

I'll leave that up to you guys though

Sorry if I did no good...

1: nerovats - on deck
2: predesad -
3: woobi - just played
4: mastertyguy - UP

Attachments

• mapofchina.GIF
    mapofchina.GIF
    124.9 KB · Views: 278
Wow, I never expected we would get BW for pottery.
I think we need the 2 cities to support an army, or set science to 10% and build an army with our current 2 cities, now Copenhagen and Bergen should have just 1 maybe 2 defenders, so 4 or 5 archers per city should be enough. Maybe we should then hold, regroup, settle the 2 extra cities in the south, and we'll out produce the vikings having 6 cities against 3. Maybe if RNG favours us we can take the 3th city as well. Since the Vikings spread their cities, we'll be same to keep them, just starv them to reduce flip risk. After 20 turns take the rest, and we'll have 3 luxes!
Must keep looking for recourses to be able to use out UU.

Question how do you get that wide view, There are twice as many cities in your screenshots, then in mine.

turn 1-3: nothing
turn 4: trade Alphabet for the Wheel and gold with the Americans
turn 5-7: nothing
turn 9: found Canton, meet France (east)
turn 10: discover writing
turn 11: Trondheim finishes Colossus and start Pyramids
inter-turn: America starts Pyramids

Here it is!

mastertyguy said:
turn 9: found Canton

is that our third city? we have room for 4, although it will be tight, we can have one on the plains at the southern tip & another on the hills at the southern tip, or at least in that general area.

1: nerovats - UP
2: predesad - on deck
3: woobi -
4: mastertyguy - just played

we're moving real good right now, do you guys want me to try to get a 5th or just stick with the 4 of us?

Top Bottom