• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Preferred Religions

Yzman

Deity
Now that we know most of the new civs, barring 2, and we know that religions have been changed slightly, what do you think will be each civs preferred religion?

I'll be honest, I was kind of hoping that added some tribal religion or something that some of the Native American civs could get, I dislike most of them getting some form of Christianity.

Thoughts?

Will be interesting to see what they choose for Indonesia

Buddhism and Hinduism were both accepted during Gajah Mada's era. But modern day they are Islamic.

My money is Hinduism

Poland: Catholisism
Portugal: Catholisism
Zulu: ?
Assyria: Zorastrianism
Brazil: Protestant
Morroco: Islam
Indonessia: Buddism

Zulu will probably get Protestantism because of the influence of the (Dutch, reformed) settlers in the area. Just a guess though.

88% of Indonesians are Islamic. They should found Islam.

I believe after the Christianity split, Islam is the most picked religion in the game. We really shouldn't give it to another civ, especially one that can get away with picking religions that only have 1 other civ. Additionally, Gajah Mada's Indonesia wouldn't have been Muslim.

Modern day Istanbul is Muslim through and through, but the Byzantines are rightfully Christian.

88% of Indonesians are Islamic. They should found Islam.

I think there are very compelling arguments for all three religions - Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam.

Buddhism - Borobudur, and many of the Candis, are Buddhist. Buddhism played a major role in the structure of the Majapahit under Gajah Mada

Hinduism - Also a major player of the Majapahit, the very logo they base the Indonesia civ after is a Hindu symbol as well as the symbol of the Majapahit rule:

Islam - As you say, Islam is the majority religion. Considering they went with modern city names, it would not surprise me if they went with that. This is still a video game first and foremost and we have no idea what marketing tactics the devs have up their sleeve.

(Actually, there are even three more religions I can think of with compelling arguments, but those aren't represented in Civ)

Poland: Catholisism
Portugal: Catholisism
Zulu: ?
Assyria: Zorastrianism
Brazil: Protestant
Morroco: Islam
Indonessia: Buddism

All the videos show Indonesia to have Hinduism and India isn't in game so it is implied that Indonesia is the country that founded it.

Assyria - Zoroastrianism
Brazil - Catholicism
Indonesia - Hinduism
Morocco - Islam
Poland - Catholicism
Portugal - Catholicism
Zulu - Protestantism

Venice (if it's in): Catholicism
Native American civ: Catholicism or Protestantism

Assyria, probably Eastern/Orthodox Christianity. Hopefully not Islam just for being near Eastern.
Brazil, Catholicism
Indonesia, Hinduism
Morocco, Islam
Poland, Catholicism
Portugal, Catholicism
Venice, Catholicism
Zulu, Protestantism

For previously Christian civs I'd say
Protestant - America, England, Denmark, Sweden, Netherlands, Polynesia, Iroquois and Germany I guess
Catholic - France, Spain, Rome, Austria, Aztecs, Inca, Maya, Celts*
Eastern - Greece, Russia, Byzantium, Ethiopia

*bit of a toss-up given the 'Celtic nations thing', only Ireland and Brittany (2/6) are mostly Catholic though Irish identity has historically emphasised Catholicism. However Scotland has a notable history with Protestantism and the reformation. Strictly speaking I don't think Celtic speakers were ever much tied to the reformation while Gaelic monks were plenty active in the medieval/Catholic period.

Also I think Catholicism is the more prevalent one in Germany and the Netherlands now but they historically featured Protestant majorities.

Germany could be both catholic and protestant. Maybe they should roll a dice between the two in every game.

Assyria, probably Eastern/Orthodox Christianity. Hopefully not Islam just for being near Eastern.
Brazil, Catholicism
Indonesia, Hinduism
Morocco, Islam
Poland, Catholicism
Portugal, Catholicism
Venice, Catholicism
Zulu, Protestantism

For previously Christian civs I'd say
Protestant - America, England, Denmark, Sweden, Netherlands, Polynesia, Iroquois and Germany I guess
Catholic - France, Spain, Rome, Austria, Aztecs, Inca, Maya, Celts*
Eastern - Greece, Russia, Byzantium, Ethiopia

*bit of a toss-up given the 'Celtic nations thing', only Ireland and Brittany (2/6) are mostly Catholic though Irish identity has historically emphasised Catholicism. However Scotland has a notable history with Protestantism and the reformation. Strictly speaking I don't think Celtic speakers were ever much tied to the reformation while Gaelic monks were plenty active in the medieval/Catholic period.

Also I think Catholicism is the more prevalent one in Germany and the Netherlands now but they historically featured Protestant majorities I think.

The Catholic aztecs performing human sacrifice: "This is my body … this is my blood" :lol: oh well

Top Bottom