Prehistoric Tech

Hydromancerx

C2C Modder
I love the additional prehistoric techs in the current ROM but i think it could be expanded a lot more. Here are some suggestions.

1. "The Wheel" having a prerequisite of "Pottery" since the wheel came from a potters wheel.

2. "Gathering" be added and put as a prerequisite for "Baskety", "Fishing", "Agriculture", "Stone Tools" and "Scavenging". This would be gathering objects but nothing specific yet. Possibly a new starting tech for civilizations.

3. "Scavenging" would be a prerequisite for "Hunting". Basiclly its getting meat and bone before official hunting. This would work off the Deer, Fur or Elephants camp resource but would give "Bone".

4. "Bone Working" this could lead to new early pre-stone tool units or just give say a bone needle needed "Leather Working". This would work off the Deer, Fur or Elephants camp resource but would give "Bone".

5. "Tanning" would require "Hunting" and possibly require Hunting Camp resources such as Deer or Elephant or Furs.

6. "Leather Working" this would require "Bone Working" and "Tanning" and would give bonuses to units protection as well as possibly a clothing for citizens. It could also give a new "Rock Slinger" unit that would be a pre-archery ranged unit.

7. "Basketry" would be a prerequisite for "Weaving" as well as "Fishing Trap". This could possible be an additional source of storing food.

8. "Fishing Trap" would have "Fishing" and "Basketry". This would give some minor bonus for fishing.

9. "Flint Knapping" would have a prerequisite of "Stone Tools" and could improve your stone weaponry possibly giving a new unit and be needed for jaguar warriors of the Aztecs.

10. "Copper Working" would be between "Metal Casting" and "Bronze Working" and give another level under Bronze technology. Also copper deposites would be revealed or something with mining.

11. "Tracking" this would have a prerequisite of Hunting and allow Scout Unit rather than "Hunting".

12. "Boat Making" this would after fishing but before "Sailing".

13. "Ceremonial Burial" would have a prerequisite of "Ritualism". This would give maybe a building of a "Burial Mound" or something.

14. "Oral Tradition" this would have a prerequisite of "Ritualism" and possibly be be required for "Writing". This could maybe give a new Prehistoric wonder such a "Legend".

15. I also think something like "Cave Painting" or "Sand Panting" or "Tribal Music" should be added as an early culture tech.

There are a lot more that could be made but i will keep it to these for now. Thank you for your time.

There's a mod called "Not another Stone Age" which may give you what you're looking for and may give the RoM team some additional food for thought if they want to extend the timeline backwards...

I love the additional prehistoric techs in the current ROM but i think it could be expanded a lot more. Here are some suggestions.

1. "The Wheel" having a prerequisite of "Pottery" since the wheel came from a potters wheel.

2. "Gathering" be added and put as a prerequisite for "Baskety", "Fishing", "Agriculture", "Stone Tools" and "Scavenging". This would be gathering objects but nothing specific yet. Possibly a new starting tech for civilizations.

3. "Scavenging" would be a prerequisite for "Hunting". Basiclly its getting meat and bone before official hunting. This would work off the Deer, Fur or Elephants camp resource but would give "Bone".

4. "Bone Working" this could lead to new early pre-stone tool units or just give say a bone needle needed "Leather Working". This would work off the Deer, Fur or Elephants camp resource but would give "Bone".

5. "Tanning" would require "Hunting" and possibly require Hunting Camp resources such as Deer or Elephant or Furs.

6. "Leather Working" this would require "Bone Working" and "Tanning" and would give bonuses to units protection as well as possibly a clothing for citizens. It could also give a new "Rock Slinger" unit that would be a pre-archery ranged unit.

7. "Basketry" would be a prerequisite for "Weaving" as well as "Fishing Trap". This could possible be an additional source of storing food.

8. "Fishing Trap" would have "Fishing" and "Basketry". This would give some minor bonus for fishing.

9. "Flint Knapping" would have a prerequisite of "Stone Tools" and could improve your stone weaponry possibly giving a new unit and be needed for jaguar warriors of the Aztecs.

10. "Copper Working" would be between "Metal Casting" and "Bronze Working" and give another level under Bronze technology. Also copper deposites would be revealed or something with mining.

11. "Tracking" this would have a prerequisite of Hunting and allow Scout Unit rather than "Hunting".

12. "Boat Making" this would after fishing but before "Sailing".

13. "Ceremonial Burial" would have a prerequisite of "Ritualism". This would give maybe a building of a "Burial Mound" or something.

14. "Oral Tradition" this would have a prerequisite of "Ritualism" and possibly be be required for "Writing". This could maybe give a new Prehistoric wonder such a "Legend".

15. I also think something like "Cave Painting" or "Sand Panting" or "Tribal Music" should be added as an early culture tech.

There are a lot more that could be made but i will keep it to these for now. Thank you for your time.

I loved the idea of developing more the prehistorical techs, mainly the cultural ones. When I have some time (stop playing RoM and working, working and playing RoM), I'll discuss it. Cheers!

I disagree with the Pottery - The Wheel connection.

It is possible to create Pottery without the potter's wheel, and The Wheel without pottery. For example, the famous Japanese Ohi pottery is (still) shaped without wheel. And in Mesoamerica they had also brilliant pottery, but wheel was in many places nothing more than a part used in toys, rather than a practical application of any sort.

Otherwise, fine ideas. We should keep in mind however, that all the different paths of cultural evolution the real world(tm) experienced should be possible in Civilization, and perhaps even the most unlikely ones that might have been lost in the prehistory...

I've seen those mods which expand stone age even more than RoM does but I haven't considered expanding the techtree at this point as it's quite long process and you'll have to keep in mind that game turn limit sets one limit how huge tech tree can be - too many techs and you never can research them all. Anyway my next project will have much more techs in ancient and classical eras than we have in RoM ;)

I've seen those mods which expand stone age even more than RoM does but I haven't considered expanding the techtree at this point as it's quite long process and you'll have to keep in mind that game turn limit sets one limit how huge tech tree can be - too many techs and you never can research them all. Anyway my next project will have much more techs in ancient and classical eras than we have in RoM ;)

Do you mean the project with magic in it? Cause i really think it was great without magic.

As for the tech limit, is there a way to add more turns besides setting it on say "Snail Speed". Because I really enjoy having so man things to research.

Anywho is that a no to adding some additional prehistoric techs? Cause it looks like you had "Boat Making", "Fermentation" and "Wood Working" in your new project those would really be awesome to have in ROM.

In short I think you should reconsider and add some more early techs since the game feels like it advances way too fast in the beginning. Atleast its better than the original game did. Thanks again for putting "Stone Tools", "Ritualism", "Weaving" and "Naturopathy" in. At the very least you should add some early culture techs such as "Oral Tradition", ""Cave Painting" or "Tribal Music".

Thank you for your time and all your work on ROM. :)

Just a thought, some civilizations such as the Inca were renouned for their system of roads, yet never 'discovered the wheel'.

Although I'm not against a little bit more early tech expansion, the gave is Civilization after all, so I don't think I can agree with some that are IMO too early. Your people don't live in caves or wander like nomads anymore, they've founded a city afterall.

Copper Tools/Copper working would be okay, Boatmaking, Food Preservation (reveals salt), Oral Tradition/Oral History, Leather Working (although I think you should combine it with Tanning) are okay. If you want to separate the wheel from roads, then just have a Road building tech on it's own. They other techs are a bit too early.

On a side note, with the new changes to Spearmen, they are easier to obtain, and cheapr to make if you have the right resources. Ii'd like to see some more early units, such as the stone based Spearman at Str 3, and keep the str 4 spearman as metal only.
A division of the Archer unit would also be good, STR for stone arrowheads and STR 4 for bronze arrowheads. (ie requires bronze working)

Top Bottom