Preparing for a possible invasion.

Both have it. We traded Computers to SABER for Rocketry, and FREE researched it first thing they did in the MT.

About SCI.

All we need is to have it until we've started the part, or to take it back by the time we build it.

I think we should cover SCI, certainly - for one thing, it's a great place for the enemy to base bombers... but we need to be careful about overcommitting forces there. I'd just as soon try to keep it with a jet or two and a bunch of mech infantries - I don't think we should commit more than, say, 1 MA up there.

It will take an additional 9-10 jets to cover the rubber island, but even if we do see them comming there is no way we can actually stop them.

I think we should decrease the amount of units on the rubber island and instead focus on a backup plan for rubber.

Over at gong we had an island with rubber, this island is still unsettled and in free territory, seeing as Free has multiple rubbers, I don't foresee them planting a city on it.

Like AT says, it is not just about the rubber though, even if that is a required resource for some parts iirc, but SCI is also a perfect beachhead for their air forces.

Like AT says, it is not just about the rubber though, even if that is a required resource for some parts iirc, but SCI is also a perfect beachhead for their air forces.

I counted the tiles and if they plant an airfield on the southern mountain, they would only be able to hit some 2 cites on our mainland. A perfect beachhead for airfoces would be The hideaway or The whalepond...

I counted the tiles and if they plant an airfield on the southern mountain, they would only be able to hit some 2 cites on our mainland. A perfect beachhead for airfoces would be The hideaway or The whalepond...

I didn't count, so that is better than I expected from our point of view. :)

Yeah, the Hideaway or Whalepond are especially dangerous for us to lose. Is it wise to disband those cities if the enemy approaches? But then we'd have to prevent them from landing workers or a settler. :hmm:

Well, the thing about taking our one tile islands is they'd have to use marines. Let's garrison those cities with mech infantry and consider SAMs since an enemy would likely want to bomb the garrison. Having a few subs nearby to target carriers might be helpful also.

I think we should build an airfield on top of our oil over the tundra forest near The Iglo and get a few mobile sams there asap.

The aluminium and uranium are also vulnerable to air bombing, but i wouldn´t build an airfield there just yet...1 moblie sam each for now...

Why can´t we build an embassy with FREE and do a little city spying?

We can short-rush a lot of things with some of the money...

Yeah, the Hideaway or Whalepond are especially dangerous for us to lose. Is it wise to disband those cities if the enemy approaches? But then we'd have to prevent them from landing workers or a settler. :hmm:

I would rather have them take the cities than plant an airfield. If we bomb the airfields we don't hit the airplanes, if we bomb the cities we hit the airplanes first :lol:. Of course the downside of this is the fact that they can launch invasions from the city and not the airfield.

Doesn't really matter what we put in these 1 tile island cities, we have 3 transports that can transport units to them. I'd leave a mech in each and have a transport ready to backup, if we decide to backup the city that is.

Turn 234 is in. SABER is up to 16 transports, 12 marines and over 60 each of mech infantry and modern armor. They have a couple carriers, 30 destroyers, a battleship, 11 jets, 16 bombers, 5 explorers, 18 artillery and two armies. They probably also have a tremendous amount of gold.

It would appear they are set to make their run for a domination victory soon. Either that or they have decided it is time to wreck our spaceship plans. Either way we must do what we can to bolster our defenses.

How critical is the defense of SCI? We are still two turns from the laser and need another 6 or 7 turns beyond that to get space flight. We need to hang on to our rubber source for at least another ten turns in order to start work on the SS casing. Chances are if we are attacked by SABER and lose SCI and our rubber we could get a replacement source from FREE for free since we'd need rubber to continue to build mech inf and armor to fight SABER. But losing SCI means not only losing rubber but giving SABER a nice base from which to soften up our mainland for invasion. It seems that no matter how you look at it, SCI is critical for us.

SABER is massing its surface ships near our EWS. It is time to abandon the old naval based EWS for our air based EWS. We need something useful for our surface ships to do besides float around and wait for SABER's ships to sink them. The two best options seem to be to form stacks to counter SABER's stacks or sail forth in search of SABER transports. The latter has appeal since the further we find those transports from our lands the better our chances become.

SABER's concentrated naval power endangers our planned ship chain to SCI. We should consider abandoning this idea and get those transports home. Perhaps we make a final run of units up to SCI?

It is time we started ensuring we have a radar towers in place or at least enough workers on hand to create those we need on short notice.

SABER has the capability now of concentrating a dozen marines in a single amphibious attack. How big a garrison do we need in a city to keep it safe from a dozen marine assuming as many as eight bombers will get a crack at the city? What is the best unit to defend against marines? If we lose a city what is the risk of being blitzed by the other fifty-some units that could unload in that city?

Are we strong enough to allow 64 units to land on our mainland, knowing there maybe two modern army armies and at least one settler? Would we have the power to eliminate that stack?

:ack: :scared:

Why don't we send just a few destroyers out to look for Saber Transports (3-4), then pull the rest of our Naval forces into port.
I think we should leave a few subs out on patrol.
If Saber discovers them when they make their move (as they probably will) then they'll be forced to declare war, giving us the War Happiness and them the War Weariness.
If they don't find them or don't attack them - then we take the WW hit - but at least we'll get a shot at sinking a couple transports.

I think we shouldn't leave all our subs out however. It'd be nice to have a few survive to hamper Saber's ability to ship-chain more units in after the initial attack.

oh - and I think it's probably about time to cut back on building ships in favor of more tanks. Unless we've got a sub or destroyer about to finish next turn on the Saber side of our continent maybe?

I think Mech Infantry are best against Marines. But Modern Armor are best for everything else. Therefore, it's probably best to use all our Mech Infantry to try to coastal block any tiles in danger of a marine landing on SubCom Island.
We need to keep most of the Modern Armor on our mainland -so they'll have to do for defending against Marines.

That's my initial take anyway.

My thoughts are that we should protect near our core with subs - ones on our west coast we could abandon, like we did when BABE invaded, to keep them from falling into SABER hands.

From the turns played thread:

One more comment is that we can draft twice as many mech infantry as Saber has marines so can totally prevent the loss of any town if they pull transports in our range by simply stuffing towns with more units than they have attackers. Since it takes more than one bomber to kill a unit it is impossible for Saber or Free to take one of our towns and then perform a blitzkrieg so our concern about that should be put to rest for now. Since we always have advanced notice of a landing we can also move our bombers where they are needed before they land at any time. I don't think many changes in our defense plans need to be made.

With twelve marines and the possibility to bring 8 bombers via carrier doesn't that mean stuffing 17 units into a city to make it safe? Not bad but depending on where the stack of transports shows up we could have multiple cities that would have to be defended this way. With three cities to defend that's 51 units. Easy enough to do on the mainland, but what about SCI?

Well, a bomber would only scratch a unit if it made a hit and survived our air defenses anyway. They would need more bombers than we have units before bombers would start killing things. Naval bombardment could help them some, but I think it extremely unlikely that they would actually kill even a single unit. Even though we would have severely weakened units our survivors would still outnumber their marines. Probably we don't even need that many units, but I'm giving them the benefit of 100% victory rates in planning a defense. The only way to threaten all three towns on SCI at once is to pull extremely close to our island with their transports which would also put them in range of even more of our submarines. What we can't prevent totally is them landing a stack somewhere on our land, but at least a one turn blitzkrieg is out of the question.

While I think it good to prepare for all possibilities, I believe an attack on us is not coming soon. It is Free who is much weaker than we are as they have twice as many cities to defend and are much more susceptible to a blitzkrieg and are also completely lacking in air defenses as far as we can tell. If Saber destroys their offensive capability just to crack us now they will open the door to a blitzkrieg by Free, while they should already feel reasonably confident we are not going on the attack. While Saber could probably prevent us from winning by attacking us first, imo, it would be at the cost of them losing the game and I just don't think they will make this mistake. Of course, leaders in real history have made the same mistake, so anything is possible.

So....it is us SABER will be targeting then?
Crunch time! :D

PrinceMyshkin's reasoning points to a SABER blitz on FREE. This may be even more likely now that FREE is openly harboring BABE. :mischief:

FREE harbouring BABE?!

What did I miss here?
I was away during the weekend and is not updated it seems.

Top Bottom