Preview: Indian cities

Okay, Industrial is finished. What do you think?

Attachments

• Industrial preview.gif
    Industrial preview.gif
    15.3 KB · Views: 198
You are an expert building crafter, Aion. I can't wait to use these!

Redalert's S.East Asian set, on retrospec, seems more fit for India/S.Asia now that I think about it. My Khmer cities work a bit better for S.East asia. These cities are your best work yet Aion. You really are getting the hang of it. Took me awile to as well, so i know where you are coming from. But you are actually making your own buildings. That means you are a step beyond me.

Thanks for your friendly words.

@SOG: I think RA's SE Asian cities fit very perfectly for the Muslim countries in SE Asia (Malaysia, Indonesia). Your Khmer cities are great for the Hinduist/Buddhist countries like Cambodia, Siam etc. But we still lack a proper era-specific Indian set. That's quite amazing if you look at the huge number of cities our talented architects have created. So I chose to close that gap.

Thats true Aion. There are some really great images of buildings in India that you should really draw inspiration from. I think I provided links way back in the day for him. I saw this really nice red building, I think it was some sort of Hindu temple.

Basically in the Battlefield Asia mod, we will have five culture groups: S.East Asian: Buddist, S.East Asian: Muslim, S.Asian/Indian, East Asian(China, Japan, Korea etc.) and Nomadic(Mongols, Huns etc.)

I can always use pictures as a source of inspiration, so feel free to post anything you have. Actually I have already gathered quite a lot of images, the problem is rather to model the buildings appropriately into my city graphics.

The ancient era is going to be quite tricky. It will be based mainly on Hindu architecture, to represent Indian architecture before the Muslim invasion. Here's a photo as an example:

I have also other great images, but I can't post them, because they are in a book I bought yesterday. It's called 'Visual Encyclopedia of Architecture' and it contains 500+ large pages with drawings of important buildings from different eras from all over the world. A great source of inspiration, it will certainly be very useful for further city projects. And it was a pretty good bargain, it cost me only 10 Euros.

:eek: That sounds like the book of my dreams!

Good luck with the ancient era, I'm looking forward to it especially.

I saw your Greek set in progress and wondered - what's up with these sets?

I think you've done some great work here. Little bit of info: The domes that appear in Mughal architecture are typically for mausoleums, ie tombs, like the Taj Mahal. Whereas the other buildings were typically flat and quite square (see Fatipur Sikri), with many intricacies on the walls and arches. I'm sure that book of yours tells you this.

Anyway, glad you've noted the distinction between Mughal architecture (typically with domed roof) and the Hindu style (stacked building). I'd be up for using the early set in the OP for Mughals and Safavid Persians but these boards are still totally lacking the Hindu 'stacked' architectural style....Hint big bloody hint....

Here are some more images to help you on your way. These are all from Hampi, a classic example of south Indian Hindu architecture, well before any Islamic architectural influence.

Wide shot

Temple

Lotus Mahal

Nice features if you can include them as peripherals:

Elephant Guards

Elephant Stables

Very important to Hindus ritually - bathing!

These are REALLY good! Would you mind to tell us what software you're using to make your own buildings? I'm thinking of getting mye feet wet with city gfx as well.... so any pointers would be really welcome.

Rambuchan said:
Here are some more images to help you on your way. These are all from Hampi, a classic example of south Indian Hindu architecture, well before any Islamic architectural influence.

Wide shot

Temple

Lotus Mahal

Nice features if you can include them as peripherals:

Elephant Guards

Elephant Stables

Very important to Hindus ritually - bathing!

Now that is what I'm talking about! :eek:

@Rambuchan: Thanks for your comments. Indeed I hope to do this set once I've finished the Greek one. But I'm one very lazy guy. Heck, I started this thread on July 30th :eek:!
I didn't know that domes were used mainly for mausoleums. But I'm not that much into realism anyway, if domes is what people associate with Mughal architecture, domes is what they're gonna get!
Thank you for the pictures. Hampi has been a major source of inspiration indeed.

@TopGun69: Thanks alot. I use Paint Shop Pro 9, it's quite recommendable. We can always need new city graphic artists, so welcome aboard :) Maybe I should write a small tutorial on the topic?

Aion: Are the beta pcx files half way down the first page the finished article for your first set of 'Indian' cities? I'm ready to add them!

EDIT: Whether they are the finished files or not, they're lookin' gooood!

*drums his fingers on the table waiting for the Hindu Indian ones now*

Don't worry mate. My patience is being tested by the damn Editor's stupid internal logic, so no worries there.

As a vote of thanks, here's a screenie of the building art in-game. They look spot on! (and the Hindu culture group's buildings do not)

Oh and varwnos, I still intend to use yours for the other scen.

Top Bottom