Preview: Indian cities

Aion

King
Quite amazingly we still lack an era-specific Indian city set. It's a pretty important civ, after all. Skam0073 has made a decent city, but it's only single-era. So if no one else fancies, I guess I have to do a full Indian city set ;)

I'm spending the summer in Finland and I was the whole last week on vacation in a small cottage on a lakefront in the middle of nowhere. But I had my laptop there, and I spent a lot of time working on this.

I started with the medieval era. It's based on the Indo-Islamic Mughal architecture, famously known of buildings like the Taj Mahal. Actually the Mughal era was a bit later than the medieval era in Europe, but I guess it fits best in the second era for a four-era-frame. Anyway, you can see a preview below.

I still have to do the other eras. I want the ancient era to represent Indian architecture before the Islamic conquest, so I'll base it mainly on Hindu architecture.

For industrial I'll probably combine elements of Mughal architecture and industrial buildings. I'm not quite sure yet about the modern era, maybe I'll be lazy and copy Firaxis' standard modern Asian graphics. Let's see.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Ingame Medieval.jpg
    Ingame Medieval.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 851
This is some very good work ! There's just something strange with the colours. But I can't say what.

Will you make a complete era specific set ?

Yah, it will be era-specific.

The colours... hmm... Maybe the colour of the brown building doesn't fit, I'll see if I can change it. But otherwise I don't see what's wrong with the colours, maybe you could specify what you mean.

hm to me all the different colours seem to be the real indian style... but I think he means the dark brown one which looks like wood....

I know what seemed wrong to me with colours. In my mind, indian building are colourfull. Your colours are good, very "indian", but buildings should have more than just one colour.

I also think that many different colours are more appropriate for India.As for the brown building,maybe you can leave the roof as it is and change the base to a more distinguish color, or ,the other way around.
Overall,the set looks real nice.

MeteorPunch said:
These are very good. How soon will they be done?

Good question. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe next week. Maybe next month. Maybe next year. You know, I tend to be quite inconsistent in these things. It took me almost 5 months between my Thai and Minoan cities. But when I started the Minoan cities, I made them in just one day. I'm a bit like Franz Kafka in these things :).
Anyway, I hope to finish the cities during next week before school starts again. But I can't promise anything.

I'll deal about that colour issue later. It's not first priority. I'll first give a try for the ancient era. Which won't be a easy task, though.

well I think the idea of skam0037 is quite good
For modern times indian citystyle there would have to be much more slums... sad but true

Why not ;)?

It's great if I can contribute in this way to Anno Domini. But what are you going to use them for? As you said in the other thread, there's still the problem with the five culture groups. A chinese city with the Taj Mahal would look a bit strange, uh?

Attachments

• India Medieval Beta.pcx
    91.7 KB · Views: 335
  • India Medieval Beta Wall.pcx
    30.7 KB · Views: 309
:bump:

I finally chose to continue working on this. Hope I will have them finished soon :mischief:.

Currently I'm working on the industrial era. Here's a preview. As always, I'm open for comments, suggestions and criticism.

Attachments

• Industrial preview.gif
    Industrial preview.gif
    4.8 KB · Views: 529
Very stylish central building...
The overall shape of the city perhaps can be improved? Although it is very nice, the red building though seems to be in a somewhat strange position in relation to the central one.

The building in the middle is based on Hyderabad's Char Minar building:

The only problem I have with it, is that it could be too big compared to the other buildings, what do you think?

The red building is from Firaxis' mid-east city. I'll probably put something else in place of it, this is only a first concept.

You could decide on a more or less fixed pattern of buildings, and then change mostly the individual buildings themselves, and not the pattern. This saves time, and consistency is always to your benefit.
Very nice modelling there ;)

Top Bottom