Problem During Setup

InternalShadow

Chieftain
I recently reinstalled bts after I started having xml problems whenever I tried to start the game. I uninstalled the game via the program option in the control panel. I also deleted any bts files found in the programs files folder directly on the C: drive. I restarted my computer after the uninstall and started up the setup.

I put the CD in and click the install option that pops up. I select the english option and it goes into the InstallShield Wizard.

InstallShield Wizard
Sid Meiers Civilization 4 - Beyond the Sword Setup is preparing the InstallShield Wizard, which will guide you through the rest of the setup process. Please wait.

Without getting progress into the bar, I get this popup error:
An error (-5005: 0x80070001) has occurred while running the setup.
Please make sure you have finished any previous setup and closed other applications. If the error still occurs, please contact your vendor: Firaxis Games. (http://www.2kgames.com/civ4)

Details:
Error Information:
>Kernel\KernelMedia.cpp (95)
>Kernel\KernelMedia.cpp (95)
>SetupNew\SetupDLL.cpp (1065)
PAPP:Sid Meier's Civilization 4 - Beyond the Sword
PVENDOR:Firaxis Games (http://www.2kgames.com/civ4)
PGUID:32E4F0D2-C135-475E-A841-1D59A0D22989
$12.0.0.49985
@Windows Service Pack 1 (6001) IE 7.0.6001.18000

Ive tried the 2 solutions on the Civilization 4 website without any luck.
Spoiler :
Corrupted Installation Files (from Macrovision support)

Error Code: -5009 : 0x8000ffff

1) Clean out the temp folder. The temp folder can be determined from the TEMP environment variable. Open command prompt and type "set temp" to see the value then go to that folder and delete all the files/folders within it.

2) Corrupt InstallShield files. Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime and delete or rename IsProBE.tlb then re-run the installer.
http://www.2kgames.com/civ4/support_install.htm

I had this game working before, so I doubt its due to old software or hardware issues.

Windows Vista Home Premium 6.0.6001
AMD Athlon Dual Core 3600
32-bit
Video ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro

Thanks!

Still having problems.
I tried uninstalling the original civilization 4 via control panel and came accross a similar error. I deleted the files program files folder and went back to uninstall from the control panel. Instead of giving me the usual "Windows cannot find setup infomation this program may already of been deleted. Do you want to remove from the list?" it just freezes up. I popped in the install disk and it still gave me the option to play. I deleted the civilization root folder in the registry, and got the option to install the game again.

However, Im having the same problems when I try to install.
Error Code: -5009 : 0x80029c4a
Error Information:
>Kernel\CABFile.cpp (384)
>SetupDLL\SetupDLL.cpp (1526)
PAPP:Sid Meier's Civilization 4
PVENDOR:Firaxis Games (http://www.2kgames.com/civ4/)
PGUID:CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8
$11.0.0.28844

I tried your suggestion and went into \program files\installshield installation information\. I could not find the exact number combination you mentioned, so I deleted everything in that folder. No luck, error keeps on coming up.

Thanks for your reply!

you really should go back and undelete all the stuff you deleted in that folder - if that is still in your trash bin...

now what games do you have? civ4 and bts? what about warlords?
it is possible that you'll need to edit your windows registry - do you know how to do that?

I restored installshield files from the recycle bin.

I have Civilization 4 along with the bts expansion.

I know how to modify registry files and I am comfortable doing so.

Thanks!

ok, first try following the routine I post below - that does not involve registry edits, if that does not work you'll need to edit your registry:

install the most recent version of DirectX 9c from Microsoft

then do the following for a clean reinstall:

Uninstall and Reinstall Civ4 Warlords BtS :

Try to follow this order when doing stuff:
Use Control panel to uninstall Beyond the Sword then Civ4
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\my documents\my games\sid meier's civilization 4" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\my documents\my games\beyond the sword" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\application data\my games\sid meier's civilization 4" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\application data\my games\beyond the sword" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\local settings\application data\my games\sid meier's civilization 4" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\local settings\application data\my games\beyond the sword" manually
(note: application data is a hidden directory so you need to configure windows explorer to show hidden files, also these directories in application data are sometimes removed by the uninstall routine)
Delete "...\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8}" (Civ4)
Delete "...\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{32E4F0D2-C135-475E-A841-1D59A0D22989}" (BtS)
(note: InstallShield Installation Information is a hidden directory so you need to configure windows explorer to show hidden files).
Install Civ4, immediately patch it to 1.61 (download it fresh from here)
Install Beyond the Sword, immediately patch to 3.17 (download it fresh from here).

before reinstalling and after deleting all the files posted above you could find - restart the computer.

if that does not work do the following:
use regedit and remove all keys that reference civilization and beyond the sword (best search for firaxis as well and remove those if you do not have any other firaxis games).
remove

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8}
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{32E4F0D2-C135-475E-A841-1D59A0D22989}

restart the computer and attempt a reinstallation afterwards :)

Still having problems.

Ran the direct x link you gave me with no luck. Also tried the directx setup that came with the disk. Worked just fine, but did not fix the problem. I made sure to restart after each try.

I had trouble finding the directories you mentioned, so I ran a search on "Firaxis" and "Civilization". A few files came up, and they were deleted. I made sure to check hidden files and non-indexed locations.

\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8}" Was found and erased. Could not find the bts one.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall\{CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8} Was deleted, again could not find bts one.

Also ran a search in the registry for "Firaxis" and "Civilization" and deleted any entries that came up.

I made sure to restart the computer after I performed major changes.

I performed a DIAG check that came with the cd. Could not make sense of the .log file that it produced. Just seems encoded when I try to open it in notepad.

Thanks!

Question: I never read that you 1st installed Vanilla and after that BtS?

Yes, the error message is the same.
Spoiler :

Error Code: -5009 : 0x80029c4a
Error Information:
>Kernel\CABFile.cpp (384)
>SetupDLL\SetupDLL.cpp (1526)
PAPP:Sid Meier's Civilization 4
PVENDOR:Firaxis Games (http://www.2kgames.com/civ4/)
PGUID:CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8
$11.0.0.28844

As of now my system is clean and I am attempting a clean install of the original Civilization 4

Hi, Im having problems coping the disk files to the hard drive:

Invalid MS-DOS function
data1
Type: WinRAR archive
Size: 176 MB
Date modified: 6/25/2007 8:32 AM

Im using copy/paste to move the files onto a folder on the desktop.

Thanks!

Warlords installs perfectly.
Im gonna keep poking around with the bts disc to see if I can get it onto my harddrive.

Tried on DOS:
used the xcopy command to copy to desktop. Went fine until I hit Data1.cab and I got this error:

The target volume does not support symbolic links

Top Bottom