Problems running RoM2.8MegaPack.

Can someone explain, why is it so? As I understand, megacivpack gives you just tens of new civs to choose. But after you start a game, what makes the difference?

My theory:

When loading the megacivpack, it requires the enormous use of RAM. After it is loaded, next stress may be from randomness of picking civs if you are playing a game, not a scenario, unless you personally pick a civ. Next stress may come from randomly picking a civ for BarbCiv or Revolution option if you have both/either of them turned on.

That is my theory anyway :). Feel free to destroy that theory if it is mistaken in the name of better info :D.

My theory:

When loading the megacivpack, it requires the enormous use of RAM. After it is loaded, next stress may be from randomness of picking civs if you are playing a game, not a scenario, unless you personally pick a civ. Next stress may come from randomly picking a civ for BarbCiv or Revolution option if you have both/either of them turned on.

That is my theory anyway :). Feel free to destroy that theory if it is mistaken in the name of better info :D.

If your theory is right, it wouldn't be as bad as I thought.

The RAM problem makes me think about converting to Windows 7. The problem is
I bought XP 11 months ago, so I don't want to spent another 120 USD now. Besides, I would need another piece of RAM. At this moment I have 4 GB, and XP is able to use 3,3, as I remember. Converting to 7 wouldn't have helped me a lot, since the newest system is using much more RAM itself than XP. So the available RAM would be probably pretty much the same.

Not to mention that I'm not convinced that even getting 8 GB RAM would make the RoM to work like a lightning......

After the map has been generated the megapack version used about 1.2Gb of RAM on my computer (standard map) so if you got 3GB or more it should be no problem to run this modpack. However if your graphics card has only 256MB of video RAM, you'll run into problems very fast as your computer can't handle the amount of textures the mod uses.

My own computer has 8GB of RAM and 1GB radeon and 256MB nvidia graphics cards. Nvidia is for physx games (windows 7 supports this configuration ;)). From normal RAM 3GB is used for aperture size so I actually have 4GB video ram (if game is programmed to use aperture size...).

Well my Video Card is 340MB only, so this is the reason I can't run the MegaPack?

I run windows 7 x64 with 4gb of ram and a geforce gtx 275 with 896 mb video ram. I can load a game with the megapack installed but the terrain textures are all black so its not playable. I read in a different post in the mods section that if u copy the extra civ .fpk files into the module folder it would work. That doesnt work for me. But if i remove them from the assets folder and put them only in the module folder the terrain textures load fine but the extra civs don't work right. I had no problems with RoM 2.71 and the megapack. Any ideas how i can get the 2.8 megapack to work fully?

I run windows 7 x64 with 4gb of ram and a geforce gtx 275 with 896 mb video ram. I can load a game with the megapack installed but the terrain textures are all black so its not playable. I read in a different post in the mods section that if u copy the extra civ .fpk files into the module folder it would work. That doesnt work for me. But if i remove them from the assets folder and put them only in the module folder the terrain textures load fine but the extra civs don't work right. I had no problems with RoM 2.71 and the megapack. Any ideas how i can get the 2.8 megapack to work fully?

Ditto.

Megapack not working is not related to computer specs as far as I can see. It doesn't work on my high-end computer:

Windows 7 x64
AMD 3.2ghz Quad Core
8GB of DDR3 1600 Ram
4890 1GB ATI graphics

I have deleted the My documents files and cleanly installed the Megapack, and I get all the same symptoms. You can tell something is wrong with it from the get-go due to the abnormal amount of time it takes to start up, and again an abnormal amount of time to start a new game. Then, when you see the new game the terrain is black, and the little broken TXT things in the top window appear.

The same things happen again if I install the full version, then the Civ pack. And if the hotfix is applied as well. As far as I can tell, there is something wrong with the Megapack.

Full - Works fine
Full + Afforess/Beta - Works fine
Megapack - Borked
Full + Civpack - Borked
Full + Civpack + hotfix - Borked, no difference.

Ditto.

Megapack not working is not related to computer specs as far as I can see. It doesn't work on my high-end computer:

Windows 7 x64
AMD 3.2ghz Quad Core
8GB of DDR3 1600 Ram
4890 1GB ATI graphics

I have deleted the My documents files and cleanly installed the Megapack, and I get all the same symptoms. You can tell something is wrong with it from the get-go due to the abnormal amount of time it takes to start up, and again an abnormal amount of time to start a new game. Then, when you see the new game the terrain is black, and the little broken TXT things in the top window appear.

The same things happen again if I install the full version, then the Civ pack. And if the hotfix is applied as well. As far as I can tell, there is something wrong with the Megapack.

Full - Works fine
Full + Afforess/Beta - Works fine
Megapack - Borked
Full + Civpack - Borked
Full + Civpack + hotfix - Borked, no difference.

Go find the .fpk unpacker in the Civ utilites forum, unpack all the .fpk's that come with the mega pack, and see if it works.

Unpacking the 4 Rom extracivpakc fpks into into the modules folder in assets? Instructions please.

No, unpack it to the Rise of Mankind/art folder.

I unpacked to Desktop to see what it looked like. Actually, he is supposed to unpack to Rise of Mankind/Assets. :) Because when it unpack, it goes into Modules folder and put art in Custom Civilization and Custom Units/NA Art (sp?).

I unpacked the fpk files and everything is working fine now. Thanks alot for the help. And as a side note, thanks to everyone out there who helps on this mod. This is by far the best player made mod i've seen for any game.

Right, I'm clearly still doing something wrong.

1. Delete ROM
2. Unzip Megapack
3. Unpack RoMExtraCivPak0-3 .fpks into RoM/assets

RoM now takes an obsence amount of time to start up, about 4-6 minutes, (Alternatively, it never loads at all) followed by about a minute or two to generate a map. The black terrain is gone, but the broken text stuff is floating around at the top.

Attachments

• rommega.jpg
    rommega.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 126
  • ytjrjfyj.jpg
    ytjrjfyj.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 60
After the map has been generated the megapack version used about 1.2Gb of RAM on my computer (standard map) so if you got 3GB or more it should be no problem to run this modpack. However if your graphics card has only 256MB of video RAM, you'll run into problems very fast as your computer can't handle the amount of textures the mod uses.

As I mentioned I have 4 GB on XP (3,3 effectively) and 512 MB GeForce 9800GTX+ and in theory, I shouldn't have any problems. But I do, also with MegaCivPack, as I mentioned in other thread. I just got used to that :) Lately I discovered the beauty of playing RoM in the windowed mode, so after 1400 AD I got plenty of time for other things. For example, I finally managed to organize zillions of pictures of my 18 months old daughter :) Never had time for that before....

Although, I hope for some improvments in New Dawn and 2.81 in game speed....

Right, logs.

This first one is:

- RoM Megapack extracted
- Civ4 started
- straight to custom game without changing any settings.

Symptoms: All of the above. Abysmal load time for Civ4 and map generation, followed by black terrain and broken text things in the top middle window.

Attachments

• New WinRAR ZIP archive.zip
    775.5 KB · Views: 35
Right, just to make sure I reinstalled Civ4 again on my older (though still quite good) PC. One of the same problems still exist, and even with the patch. I also completely uninstalled Civ on the 7 computer, and reinstalled just to make sure it wasn't dredge from some previous install that was screwing it up.

Here's a run down

Machine A:

Windows 7 64bit
AMD 3.2Ghz Quad Core
8GB DDR3 RAM
4890 1GB graphics

-Civ with megapack takes an abysmal time to load (6 mins, or not at all)
-Map generation also slow (about 2-3 minutes)
-Upon entering map, the terrain is black, and there is the broken text in the above middle window

Machine B

Windows XP 64bit
Intel 3.0Ghz Dual-Core
4GB DDR2 Ram
9800GTX graphics

- Only same problem is the broken text in the top middle. See new image attachment.

Attachments

• dfj.JPG
    dfj.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 68
Top Bottom