Project Caesar / Europa Universalis V

This is what Anatolia looks like

2962.png

The Ahiler to the south-east of the Ottomans are very interesting:

After the Battle of Kösedağ in 1243, Seljuks were puppets of Ilkhanate Mongols and during the power vacuum in Anatolia, various tribes or local warlords established their principalities as vassals of Ilkhanids. Ahis in Ankara also saw their chance to declare their semi-independence under Mongol suzerainty towards the end of the century (about 1290). However, Ahi Beylik, unlike the others, was not ruled by a dynasty. It was a religious and commercial fraternity which can be described as a republic not much different from the mercantile republics of the medieval Europe.

It's interesting that 1337 is the start year. I haven't felt like I've missed the 1399 start date of EU3 (with expansions), given the November 1444 start date of EU4. Okay, so I can't play the Jalayarids like in EU3, but if anything it feels like the start date should be later, to better model the leadup to the March of the Eagle/Victoria years, which are so far in the future at the start of an EU4 game. I'm kind of saying they could probably lean into the globalization of trade a bit more than in EU4, and starting a bit later could help with that.

Although, the arguments that 1337 could be interesting are plausible, and that century is right at the "quite late to start in Crusader Kings" threshold (the very last possible year to start in CKII, if I recall?).

Are those... lakes? all over the map in that map screenshot? Mountains? I'm going to assume the graphics aren't final yet. It's also quite muted... on first impression I prefer the EU4 map.

All in all, while I'm not really chomping at the bit for EU5, EU4 has reached the point where I've tried nearly everything in it. And there are some nice things mentioned:

Johan said:

Johan said:
Simulation, not Board Game

I'd love to see Civ VII not lean so much into the "digitized board game" theme as V/VI did. And pops could be a great way to add more peacetime depth to Project Caesar than EU4 contains.

I'm also heartened to see they're looking at older Paradox games such as Victoria II and EU3 to see if there are good ideas worth bringing forward (the terrain system from Vicky II being cited as an example). I'm still waiting for the average review score on Vicky III to improve before buying it, but fundamentally like what Vicky II did (aside from its UI) and like the idea of a Vicky II pop model/economy + EU4 political system combination, which these posts seem to generally be implying?

"Tinto Talks" 7 is up.

Welcome to the seventh edition of Tinto Talks, where we talk about really super secret stuff, that is hidden behind the code name of ‘Project Caesar’.
I like how Johan doesn't even try to hide his bemusement.

Culture, this is an entirely new concept, which will become available in the Age of Renaissance, where you can invest money to get [TO BE TALKED ABOUT LATER], while also impacting your prestige.
:huh:

I hope that the 1337 start-date means we don't get a Euro-centric game or/and always end up in a Euro-dominated scenario. (Though some aspects of European ascendancy would of course be inevitable).

One of EU4 and CK2's major flaws for me is that they start with a Western framework of design and try to stuff the rest of the world into it. Playing outside of Europe you don't get the sense of playing a non-European state outside of some hamfisted mechanics. This is especially worse for more decentralised states.

I hope that the 1337 start-date means we don't get a Euro-centric game or/and always end up in a Euro-dominated scenario. (Though some aspects of European ascendancy would of course be inevitable).

One of EU4 and CK2's major flaws for me is that they start with a Western framework of design and try to stuff the rest of the world into it. Playing outside of Europe you don't get the sense of playing a non-European state outside of some hamfisted mechanics. This is especially worse for more decentralised states.

Fully agreed - I have endless frustration with EU IV in particular for this. CK feels like it tries to force the rest of the world into the same set of mechanics as their interpretation of feudal western Europe and it doesn't always fit; EU feels like it's just outright misleading the player about history in an attempt to portray Europe as fundamentally and inherently the only place that world-changing ideas could come from, and despite changes over time, still very clearly the centre of the world - literally all trade leads back to Europe, no matter what :|

Tinto Talks 8 is up!

Hello, and welcome to the eighth iteration of Tinto Talks where we talk about what we are doing in our very secret future game, with the code name Project Caesar.

Btw, on a completely unrelated note, Paradox Tinto has just announced our new expansion ‘Winds of Change’ for EU4. Go check out its cool contents and trailer!

Tinto Talks 9 was published on Wednesday.

Johan talks about buildings, goods, and hints at trade mechanics

Tinto Talks 10 where Johan talks about Markets

Also Redditor brennanthenerd created a border map based on the screenshot for Tinto Talks 10

Tinto Talks #10 is up, where Johan talks armies.

And an official map post too!

It's interesting that 1337 is the start year. I haven't felt like I've missed the 1399 start date of EU3 (with expansions), given the November 1444 start date of EU4. Okay, so I can't play the Jalayarids like in EU3, but if anything it feels like the start date should be later, to better model the leadup to the March of the Eagle/Victoria years, which are so far in the future at the start of an EU4 game. I'm kind of saying they could probably lean into the globalization of trade a bit more than in EU4, and starting a bit later could help with that.

Although, the arguments that 1337 could be interesting are plausible, and that century is right at the "quite late to start in Crusader Kings" threshold (the very last possible year to start in CKII, if I recall?).

Are those... lakes? all over the map in that map screenshot? Mountains? I'm going to assume the graphics aren't final yet. It's also quite muted... on first impression I prefer the EU4 map.

All in all, while I'm not really chomping at the bit for EU5, EU4 has reached the point where I've tried nearly everything in it. And there are some nice things mentioned:

I'd love to see Civ VII not lean so much into the "digitized board game" theme as V/VI did. And pops could be a great way to add more peacetime depth to Project Caesar than EU4 contains.

I'm also heartened to see they're looking at older Paradox games such as Victoria II and EU3 to see if there are good ideas worth bringing forward (the terrain system from Vicky II being cited as an example). I'm still waiting for the average review score on Vicky III to improve before buying it, but fundamentally like what Vicky II did (aside from its UI) and like the idea of a Vicky II pop model/economy + EU4 political system combination, which these posts seem to generally be implying?
Firaxis would need to dump the turn-based system all together, turn-base limits too much the mechanics, leaning it to the board game gameplay. I think they would never make this xD Sadly, i would like to see

HRE more beautiful than ever! All of this International Organization is really interesting, and of course they are not hardcoded anymore, so any modder can just make a world with dozens of HRE style thing everywhere. The Middle Kingdom International Organization is counter-intuitive for me, essentially the tributaries receive money from the Emperor instead of giving money, the Emperor will get Celestial Authority from the money he gives to the tributaries. Naming them tributarie doesn't make sense to me anymore xD
1715921146430.png

1715921375099.png

It reminds me of the Voltaire's Nightmare mod from EU4, with its much-more-detailed HRE. It seems they figured out a way around EU4's post-1.30 province cap!

The map is also interesting looking at the mountain chains. Lots more of presumably-impassable mountains with a limited number of passes. The Carpathians, for one. The Massif Centrale in France makes an appearance. Serbia has mountains, and the Alps are much more detailed than before. And mountains between Mantua and Lucca? I had never known!

I'm also curious about "Frisian Freedom". I see that the historical reference is to freedom from feudalism in Frisia, and their map color is the same as that of Dithmarschen, famed as a Peasant's Republic in EU4. It will be interesting to see if/how that is modeled in Project Caesar; aside from East Frisia starting out as not part of the HRE in EU4, I don't believe it really is modeled much in that game.

Various maps of the Iberian peninsula

Top Bottom