Project name ideas!

Before you settle on a name may I make a few suggestions from my experience when we named BUG Mod.

• Don't pick an acronym if you can avoid it unless it also spells a word people can remember and spell correctly. BUG is a great acronym, but . . .
  • Try to avoid a word/acronym that is in common use where people will be looking for it. BUG is a program error, a general term for an insect, and now a movie. Try googling "bug". :( It took a long time for even "bug mod" to return our site and forum as the first links.
  • Even if you ignore the first two pieces of advice, at least type the name into the search box on this forum. Notice that GEM returns five results before this GEM--most notably the Giant Earth Map. I actually was expecting a lot of posts about "gems." For BUG, it was ridiculous because people were posting so many "bug reports" for other mods. :mad:
Don't make the same mistake we did and assume that a clever name will be enough. This isn't about recognition but rather helping users find the information they seek.

Good luck! There are several good suggestions so far. :goodjob:

I'd like to avoid having my name in the title. A lot of the work was done by other people. :)

@EmperorFool
That's why I'm thinking of rarely-used words like Latin words. Googling "communitas" comes up with definitions of the word and a few obscure organizations. "Zenith" is another rare word which sounds cool. "Paragon" is a word Bioware frequently uses in their games like the Mass Effect series, but still rather rare in the English language overall.

Thal's Ensemble Funky Civ Experience.

:cool: [pimp]

Well, all right! Give up the T-funk!

Googling "Communitas" comes up with definitions and a few obscure organizations.

"Scions of Patria" turned out to be a Dutch-American re-enactment group. I'm guessing they're annoyed by some freaky game-mod becoming the top google-hit.

Civilization: Vanguard (refers to both the unit class and being at the forefront of modding)
Civilization V: Strive For Greatness (or something similar - this is really what the mod is all about to me. Plus, sounds like an expansion pack.)

Civilization: Six (has a nice ring to it;))

After reading the revised open I am even more drawn to Communitas. Really encompasses what you described as the goal you were aiming for.

Personally, I still think a non-english name is silly. We're not naming species or planets here.

CiV V: Tempered.

(the english word to 'temper' something (usually in metalwork) is derived from the latin temperamantum and other forms meaning moderation/proportion/balance.

I like the name Vanguard. :think:
I still think a non-english name is silly.
Civilization is a game of the whole world, and one of the most famous civilizations in history is Rome, so it seems appropriate to pick a Roman name. In addition to that, about 25% of my civmodding site views are from countries other than the US and England. Even the code we write mods in is called Lua, which is Portugese from the Latin luna, moon. The Romans had a big influence on all European languages. :)

I like the name Vanguard. :think:

Civilization is a game of the whole world, and one of the most famous civilizations in history is Rome, so it seems appropriate to pick a Roman name. In addition to that, about 25% of my civmodding site views are from countries other than the US and England. Even the code we write mods in is called Lua, which is Portugese from the Latin luna, moon. The Romans had a big influence on all European languages. :)

Oh, I don't doubt the impact and significance of different languages, cultures, etc. (See what I did there?) on the world. It's just my personal feelings that giving something a name in a different language sounds cheesy. I'm not looking for you to adhere to my whims, I'm just giving my opinion. You get the final say, and you by no means need to feel like you have to justify it to me or anyone else.

Top Bottom