Project name ideas!

Divinity sounds too pious and a lot of the others sound really pompous. What about a name that reflect the elements that the projects try to reach? i.e. more meaningful choices (better balance), gameplay that is more difficult and challenges you and less no-fun elements. So, Progress & Choice? Or Wise Choices? Strife and Society? Immortal Challenges?

Divinity sounds too pious and a lot of the others sound really pompous.

Well all I can say in my defence is that they’re not meant to sound pompous. I apologize if they do. :) In fact, many of the ideas listed in the first paragraph are actually just variations on the titles of two of the most popular mods ever produced for Civ 4: “Rise of Mankind” and its successor “Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn.”

Indeed, far from being pompous, the suggestions are actually intended simply to echo the spirit Soren Johnson (lead designer of Civ 4, in case people reading this post are new to the franchise in Civ 5 :)) described in the “Afterwords” section of the Civ 4 manual (see p.174), when he mentioned that the design of Civ 4 actually had its roots in his vision as a 10 year old, of a game that would allow you to ”create a new world from scratch.” To me, that’s what Civ (when at its best) does...and the idea behind those suggested mod titles is that they simply seek to capture that spirit - of a game (here mod) whose goal is to afford you (as the gamer) the opportunity to create a new, alternative and exciting world in which you can immerse yourself whilst gaming....one hopefully even better than the base game will allow, thanks to the gameplay changes that the mod makes. :)

There's really no need to apologize, especially not on an internet forum anyways ;) I do that too often as well. (I also wasn't attacking anyone or anything, just wording my thoughts, pompous might be good after all ;))

Yes, the worldbuilding is the best aspect of civ.

No problem at all, no offence taken. :) In fact you make a great point. :) A grand title may well encourage hits and gamers, but a pompous title will deter them.

Thinking out loud a little more, how about two possible titles that (i) have an exploration theme / an historical reference, (ii) describe what the mod aims to allow gamers to create and (iii) describe what the mod creates by changing the base game's rules: "CiV: A Brave New World" (I know, might be too corny) or perhaps simply “CiV: The New World”, which has obvious parallels in the history of exploration.

What about a name that reflect the elements that the projects try to reach? i.e. more meaningful choices (better balance), gameplay that is more difficult and challenges you and less no-fun elements. So, Progress & Choice? Or Wise Choices? Strife and Society? Immortal Challenges?

In that case, how about something like CiV: BIG (standing for either (i) Balanced and Improved Gameplay mod or (ii) re-Balances and Improves Gameplay mod). The connotation of the word "big" in the mod's title would be intended to capture the notion that (a) other mods have been combined into this mod and also (b) convey the impression that its creator(s) would appreciate the community continuing to do this in future, consistent with the intention that the mod will evolve as one big community made mod.

EDIT: Possible variations on this theme might be “The BIG Mod” or “The BIG Project” where BIG means Balanced and Improved (or Balances and Improves) Gameplay. That way, Civ 4 would have BUG (as in The BUG Mod and The BUG Project), Civ 5 would have BIG.

In that case, how about something like CiV: BIG (standing for either (i) Balanced and Improved Gameplay mod or (ii) re-Balances and Improves Gameplay mod). The connotation of the word "big" in the mod's title would be intended to capture the notion that (a) other mods have been combined into this mod and also (b) convey the impression that its creator(s) would appreciate the community continuing to do this in future, consistent with the intention that the mod will evolve as one big community made mod.

That name is just perfect :goodjob: .

EDIT: Possible variations on this theme might be “The BIG Mod” or “The BIG Project” where BIG means Balanced and Improved (or Balances and Improves) Gameplay. That way, Civ 4 would have BUG (as in The BUG Mod and The BUG Project), Civ 5 would have BIG.

I'm really liking that name! :goodjob:

Yes, this. I'm a fan of the long running tradition that mod names be long and descriptive and than shortened and referred to by acronyms or initialisms. I don't see the need to give the mod a name worthy of a movie title, it just seems so melodramatic if you were to call the mod project Civilization: Unitus or something equally silly.

If it's just G&K: my favorite is GEM. Not very poetic but easy to remember.
GEM will remain as the name for the G&K Enhanced Mod. I'm looking for a name to describe the collection of mods, including gem and everything else. I've edited the OP to clarify that. :)

In other words fill in the blank:

Civup + Gem + Vem + modmods + mods for future expansions = ______???______

Could always use 'collection' in the name then (or something similar, assortment?)
'The Collection Project'
'The Civ Collection'
'Thal's Collection'

Just some thoughts. Nice to keep it simple yet catchy and to the point.

Civup + Gem + Vem + modmods + mods for future expansions = ______???______

Nice, but too wordy and a little vague.

"Omnibus", "hoard", or "gathering" could make good base words.

More interesting (IMO) alternatives to "community" (another fine, descriptive word for the package) are "League" or "union".
(That reminds me: I'd like to thank everyone for not suggesting "Thal's Big Package." Let alone the obvious but even-worse alternative.)

How about randomly generating a new name each iteration using different combinations of several dozen adverb and noun root-words? Replace the .xyz format.

We could be up to "Civup: Fantastic Ball of Community Awesomeness" right now instead of boring old "v19"

Top Bottom