Prometheus sucks

Wait, who's doing this now?

Some dude who is famous for a series of movies where he dresses as a woman, and acts sassy(in a creepy way). He also has all his movies and TV shows titled as "Tyler Perry presents:...".

Prometheus sucks
The pandering to "Ancient aliens" and "Intelligent design" 'tards is really bad.

Changing the space jockey from Alien into a big blue human with a suit is bad.

Discarding evolution based on some cave painting and "what I choose to believe" is terrible.

The incoherent life alien life cycle is terrible.
The incoherent effects of the black liquid is terrible.

Why were the engineers so panicked? apparently all the black liquid does to them is cause them to disintegrate, just put on a suit and calmly walk away, have a robot clean up the spill, what were those engineers running from?

The movie does not raise interesting questions, just religious BS, It starts with the unfounded premise "we were created", then asks "why were we created" - how unoriginal, nothing in the film gives any insight into this biased question.

It seems:
Engineers make us
Engineers routinely visit us multiple times throughout history, telling us to go to their bioweapon facility (the robot seems to confirm this is their intent, by saying that sometimes to create, you must destroy, implying humans were created to be destroyed, to create the Xenomorphs)
2000 years ago, Engineers decide F*k it, well just bring it to Earth
We show up there, and they're all like: ah f*k you guys, were going to go to Earth with this stuff.

So why did they bother telling humans to go to the bioweapons facility at all if they were just going to bring it to Earth themselves?
What kind of 'tards are these aliens that they get infected by their own stuff when its not even airborne, and is in sealed containers?

The only criticism I have of the critics here, is the androids reason for infecting Holloway - he probably didn't know what the black liquid was at that point,
could it be the elixir of life that Weyland wanted - unlikely, but hey, it was something to investigate, humans were told to go to a stockpile of that stuff.
He even asked Holloway what he would be willing to do to get answers, and Holloway said he'd be willing to do anything, shortly thereafter, the robot dips his contaminated finger in the drink.
It seems David obtained (uninformed) consent from Holloway to carry out an experiment to get answers.

Also, the other scenes with the space cobras and space zombies were to re-inforce that there was bad stuff on the moon, and that they shouldn't let it off - although the holograms of panicked Engineers, and piles of dead engineers should already serve that point.

Additional nitpicking:

-if there were worms, then the environment inside wasn't sterile, the bodies would not have been preserved after all that time

-there was no need for the engineer to kill himself to start life on earth, a cheek swab would do the trick, or simply taking a dump - if he's got human DNA, then He's human, and his feces is loaded with microbes

- you can't radiocarbon date alien biology, as you don't know what its preference is for isotope incorporation was when it was alive -furthermore, you'd have to have it calibrated to the atmosphere of where the carbon was being fixed (by the native plant life, so even if the engineers are human, unless their plants are the same too...)

- speaking of the atmosphere, it was breathable according to their readout... 3% carbon dioxide is fine, it had plenty of oxygen, and plenty of nitrogen (a buffer gas), perhaps they meant carbon monoxide.

- There is no star less than 4 light years away, meaning they've invoked FTL travel, unless those 2 years are as experienced by the crew, due to relativistic effects (with many more years passing from Earths point of view)

- DNA sequence results don't look like that, that looks like the old technology of restriction digestion (generating different fragment lengths), now people do DNA sequencing, giving the actual sequence readout - did technology regress back to the 70's? is this part of their prequel to aliens? next movie they'll drop the holographic displays on human ships, and go back to cathode ray tube displays and keyboards?

- again, I want to re-iterate how stupid it is that Humans have the same DNA as the Engineers

I know the plot wasn't supposed to be a direct prequel; they want it to be the same universe but not so connected wiggle room is reduced.

Though I don't understand how human + infected human = octopus, or how octopus + human cousin = Xenomorph. We can see the substance is a mutagen based on what it does to the worms, making them serpent/cobra like. So the logic is a bit... well, "What?" worthy. I guess it has something to do with the fact both cases involved pregnancy, but what the heck can happen during pregnancy that causes freaky alterations like that?

As for the actual movie, I didn't think it was that bad. I'm not usually one for Sci-Fi, but nor am I usually very quick to condemn. I can generally be pleased pretty easily so am not the best critic.

They do have a sequel hook, nonetheless. What WOULD motivate a race to kill another race it had fathered? We could assume pure greed - let the humans develop the planet and then move in, but the question's still there.

Oh, and robotic surgical suites must be programed for either a male, or female. It can not handle both. And we install the male one into a female's room because why?

I can't help but wonder if they did that for humor. It makes you wonder things about the administrator... :p

Alternatively you could assume the room was originally her father's and she never bothered to change the machine since barring a few operations, a male or female would have no issues.

What WOULD motivate a race to kill another race it had fathered?
Considering they ripped off the plot of AvP - the answer is simple, Xenomorph food
Why else would david (who gained knowledge from magic sparkly goo?) say "sometimes in order to create, you must first destroy" when he was asked?
To create a race of Xenomorphs, the must destroy a planet of humanoids.

We can see the substance is a mutagen based
Like a cheesy superhero origin story from the 50's - mutation doesn't work that way.
A Radioactive spiderbite won't turn you into aquaman, or even spiderman. So why does this "mutagen" turn a human baby into a squid? Then the squid metaorphises into a giant facehugger, and then back into a vaguely humanoid form? Its just so ridiculous and nonsensical/non sequitur.

Alternatively you could assume the room was originally her father's and she never bothered to change the machine since
It seems it was for her father, who was on the ship. Also they made it deliberatey ambiguous as to whether or not she was a robot - not that it affected the plot in any way.

The plot was simply incoherent. They couldn't even acheive coherence in basic things like why they had to wear helmets.

When they landed (btw, I'm still not giving a pass to the scene where they stumble across the structures by luck when landing, rather than doing a survey from orbit first, including spectrometry so they knew what was in the atmosphere without first descending into it) - they comment on the atmosphere
They say proportions of nitrogen and oxygen that are just like Earth's - breathable
Then someone chimes in that it would be like sucking on a tailpipe - supposedly deadly levels of CO2 (did they mean just CO, 3% CO2 is perfectly fine, and CO isn't stable in an oxygen atmosphere anyway... so.. its just a stupid plot device).

Anyway, in this scene they established that it wasn't a lack of oxygen, but rather the presence of a poisonous gas,
Then they go inside the structure, and the douchebag says his suit detects oxygen, and that it must be breathable, and removes his helmet.

Hello? did the writers forget what they had already written? all they needed to do to maintain some coherence was to say he was reading reduced levels of "CO2"/ "CO2" was at safe levels.

But... noooo..... the writers were to eager to blow their load of religious references, ans spiel about having faith and not being so skeptical.

Even basic details like that they are unable to keep consistency.

The guy who is responsible for mapping the caves, gets lost despite being in contact with the ship with the map.
The guy who is afraid of a long dead human-alien and runs off later wants to pet an alien penis-cobra.

The human-alien that ignored shaw while he tried to pilot a ship to go to earth, later goes out of his way to find her, despite the presence of multiple other ships to take.

She was beneath his notice, and he was focused on his mission in one scene... they she does *nothing* and the blue-human-alien has a total change of priority... of course that was just setup so that he could die by the giant squid baby - but we assumed he had died in the 1st crash, so they could have just left that whole scene out and had a more coherent plot.

The plot:
Human-humans go to alien moon
Human-aliens at that moon try to send a ship to kill human-humans on earth
Human-Humans ram the ship.
The end
Everything else was irrelevant or incoherent.
That is not a good sci fi plot.
The script was terrible, and good scenery can't save it from being a turd.

Ridley didn't sell a good movie, so he's sold his reputation.
People are still going to see it because its attached to alien, and Ridley Scott (as evidenced by some posts in this thread).
My guess is they see it, and realize it was crap.
Ridley Scott's reputation is now worthless to me.
-Good think I didn't pay anything to see this movie.

Top Bottom