Qsc15 Results - "A New Era Opened by Russian Imperialism"

Flexo@ are you confusing score with number of buildings? I'm looking at group 5 and I see that at most there were 7 buildings built (4 temples 2 granarys and a barrack for example)

Heres average score for each group:
5298.8 - Group 1 – Warmongers
4472.0 - Group 2 – Extreme
5122.5 - Group 3 – Builders
4575.0 - Group 4 – Middle of Road.
4657.1 - Group 5 – Temples

Other interesting things
4 warmongers in top 10
3 extremes in top 10 (usually a good player to attempt a variant?)
1 Builder in the top 10 but he won the QSC.
2 Middle of Road in top 10

0 Temple in top 10. Zenga highest in catagory at #12.

Note that the Extreme group's average score suffers from combining the extreme successful strategies with the extremely unsuccessful strategies. (included the 2 lowest scores)

The QSC will be included in the global rankings. You can see how much each game is worth in the results table. You get 5 points for a timeline, and up to 15 points for the score (before the timeline bonus is added). How much of the 15 points you get is based off the percent PlayerScore/TopScore.

Thanks again for the whole qsc initiative and the excellent work :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

It will take me weeks to read all that information :help:

Ronald

CF@ First row in G5 says

workers|30 each|120|120|90 ....

you can't build 120 workers at this time, when you have built the same of others. So this must be the calculated score (I guess). Which would mean it should say ...|30 each|4|4|3. Since If you compare it to the table for group 1 (our warmongering group) it says:

workers|30 each|2|10|12|7|6 ...

Which here indicates the number built (or around at 1000bc).
They are not the same. They show different things. G5 shows Score, G1 shows #units (g4, g3, g2 also show number of units).

That is what is "wrong".

Moonsinger@ I noticed that extra info too. Don't know how those score pan out for all of the GOTM submissions but for 56 QSC players:

Of the top 10 QSC players, 7 of them also placed top 10 game scores (out of the QSC players) showing if you start well you end well.

The other three:
Aeson and Civ_Steve no posted final score
Bremp all that tech made him launch several centuries earlier and miss out on the "I'm not milking I just haven't won yet" points. When are we going to get a scoring system that doesn't penalize early finishers?

[EDIT:]flexo@ my excel file has scores for workers for all groups including ours. But the first sheet (the 1000data) has the number of workers. Is that what you mean? I still don't see anything wrong. [EDIT EDIT:]Never mind. You mean the website pages. I was in the downloaded EXCEL file.

Are wonders supposed to count for 100 points only? Except the Pyramids, which as I understand earn 60 points per city (counting as a Granary everywhere)?
The QSC pages say "point value in shields", but the excel file shows different (I only count 1 Oracle and 2 Pyramids, but still).

I forgot to add that Midnightwatchman's honesty does result in moving him down in the rankings but also has the effect of revealing that he built absolutely no buildings in any of his towns or cities during the entire opwning sequence of 80 turns.

This stroke of strategic brilliance moved him into position to win the “Not So Happy Camper” award for building the fewest number of buildings or improvements, although I hope that will be an honor and a distinction that we do not see him aspire to on too many occasions in the future. ;)

-------------------------------

Ribannah,

The wonder and army scoring was altered and announce in the forums along with the reasoning behind the change and some other detail of updates to the scoring system. We are updating the webpages as they are converted into their new permanent location.

Many of you may not have noticed, but we have sort of recieved a promotion in the background. Thunderfall has rewarded the GOTMs with our own subdomain name (http://gotm.civfanatics.net) which is requiring us to move things around but which will allow us to do some new and exciting things.

cracker,

Check your PM's please.

Got it!!

Note to all other members, the scoring tables for group 5 should be updated now, and I also picked up an point drop that gained Zagnuterine of the Russians a whopping 205 pts and two step up in the ranking. - cracker

Between Bremp and DaveMcW, Bremp SQC final score is 10250 while DaveMcW final score is 9810. However, Bremp gets only 15 points for the Global Ranking while Dave gets over 19 points toward Global Ranking. How come? Please explain. Thanks in advance.:)

Moonsinger@

QSC ranking is max 15pt (15*your score/best score)
TIMELINE = 5 pts. Bremp had no timeline?

Originally posted by flexo
Aeson, your timeline is the funniest one so far :)

I have to agree. I love the story ones, (I wish I had time to do them, thats what I love about SGs too). But Aeson's actually had me laugh out loud. It was kind of hard to explain to someone at work (both why it was funny, and why I was reading them at work...).

My first QSC and I end up solidly in the middle of the pack. Woo hoo! I'll take that result any day. Cracker, the result pages you've set up are fantastic-- I could spend February just wading through all this material instead of trying out QSC16.

I do have a question for everyone regarding the hows and whens and whys of giving gifts to other civs. Among the very top scorers in QSC15 there seems to be a real difference in how people used gifts in their diplomatic contacts. I almost fell out of my chair reading DaveMCW's timeline when I saw he practically gave the Germans Pottery (for just 10 gold) and then outright did give them no less than three other techs in their first encounter in 3150BC. I've *never* given away so much to another civ! Bamspeedy does essentially the same thing, even grousing in his timeline about the inability of the AI civs to keep up in the tech race. So why give away so much? Is it because you know or suspect contact between the AI civs and don't want them trading amongst themselves? Do you want everyone to have tech parity so they can continually be researching things *you* don't yet know for the purposes of further trading? Doesn't giving away so much tech hurt you in terms of having an edge in military units and-- especially-- wonder builds?

This gifting is clearly not the only strategy for the top scorers. Aeson gives only a single tech gift, apparently designed to stay in the good graces of the Chinese with a likely furious Bismark on the other flank. Adel, you don't give any gifts at all.

So what strategy do people use in deciding about gifting?

Originally posted by cracker
I forgot to add that Midnightwatchman's honesty does result in moving him down in the rankings but also has the effect of revealing that he built absolutely no buildings in any of his towns or cities during the entire opwning sequence of 80 turns.

This stroke of strategic brilliance moved him into position to win the “Not So Happy Camper” award for building the fewest number of buildings or improvements, although I hope that will be an honor and a distinction that we do not see him aspire to on too many occasions in the future. ;)

Aw, what's so bad about winning that one? *sigh* I guess I'll try building more in GOTM17, after almost winning this in GOTM15. :help:

Already, looking at the people with more buildings and more cities than I at that point, I see ways to possibly improve... but I'm still glad to do as well as I did, looking at the field ahead of me. :goodjob: to the GOTM staff for compiling and presenting this massive flow of information!

Originally posted by ziadw
This gifting is clearly not the only strategy for the top scorers. Aeson gives only a single tech gift, apparently designed to stay in the good graces of the Chinese with a likely furior Bismark on the other flank. Adel, you don't give any gifts at all.

Unless I'm shooting for the fastest space race or diplomatic victory or the highest tech score for QSC, I see no need for giving away technology.

Originally posted by ziadw
I do have a question for everyone regarding the hows and whens and whys of giving gifts to other civs. Among the very top scorers in QSC15 there seems to be a real difference in how people used gifts in their diplomatic contacts. I almost fell out of my chair reading DaveMCW's timeline when I saw he practically gave the Germans Pottery (for just 10 gold) and then outright did give them no less than three other techs in their first encounter in 3150BC.
So what strategy do people use in deciding about gifting?

Gifting is helpful to get to a fast finish (Space Race or Diplomacy). You try to make sure that the AI doesn't spend time researching the techs you already have, hoping that instead it will research (or pop from a hut, as in Dave's game) techs you don't have, so you don't need to spend time researching those yourself.
The game is kinda 'broken' that way (as was Civ2), at least below deity level.
Of course you have to take care not to gift too much if your position isn't strong enough, or if that would get the AI Great Wonders that you need for yourself. You can't just go 'gifting around' in any position, it requires skill to know when and what to gift.

The QSC results are great! :goodjob: This was my first one but I really like the idea. It's a great tool for learning the game. Thanks!

I'm not a Doctor (nor do I play one on TV) but keep looking at all those mini-maps and you may start to see them as brains scans! Then all you do is note the ones that are atrophied or that have sections of unusual activity and read about the underlying cause...

Wow I am amazed at the detail that some of you put into your timelines. There are some great stories there, not to mention a much different approach tothe game than I have. Reading through some of them I am anxious to try quite a few of them in the very near future.

Two things struck me reading through a few of them. The tech pace for giving away your techs was amazing for some of you. And a few people were amassing huge quantities of cash while achieving a decent tech pace. I have not tried either approach but I found it very interesting and am thinking about the potential uses of them going forward. I kind of wish I had not started/completed the current GOTM as they would be interesting to try.

I was also painfully embarrased by my lack of detail provided on my timeline, especially GOTM 16. :( I was to enthralled in the Roman world and not very interested in writing my timeline.

I will work on taking a bit more time when I write up the next one. (GOTM 17) Thank you to all who wrote such great stories.

Great job Cracker :goodjob:

Originally posted by Creepster
I kind of wish I had not started/completed the current GOTM as they would be interesting to try.

Me too!:) I wish I have waited until today to start on the GOTM16 beause I really want to try to gift away techs more often. So far, I was selfish and greedy in my game.:( I promise I will give all my techs away in GOTM17.

Top Bottom