Qsc15 Results - "A New Era Opened by Russian Imperialism"

Great job to cracker and all your staff members. I don't even know where to start in analyzing all of this data.

Also, thanks for going back and finding me another 205 points. Now if I could only figure out how to get 10,000 points on my own I wouldn't need any other help!!!

Absolutely Outstanding!! :goodjob: The QSC results pages are a real piece of art, and quite informative! Thanks, Cracker!!

I find it amazing (and amusing) to see some of the large empires, like SirPleb's, being guarded by such a small military! In general, I prefer to be strong militarily (in part because of being badly burned by the RNG, therefore it's good to have backups, lots of backups.) I wouldn't be comfortable with that small a number of units, so I'm quite impressed by the results these players get.

I did have a question about the scoring. I had enough treasury to upgrade 20 of my warriors to swordsmen, and had Iron connected in 1050 BC. I elected to delay my upgrades by 2 turns, because my final QSC result would have dropped by 400 points if done all at once in 1050 BC. Should treasury be valued at 1/2 point per gold to make this type of decision even, or is the value of the treasury too tied up in relation to other scoring inputs to modify in this manner?

Excellent job to cracker and his team!!!! very impressed with the level of detail and different categories.
i downloaded the complete data list and it is sitting on my desktop now. when i click on it, im asked how i wish to open it.
what do i choose??? i see nothing in the list it gives me that
says excel.

thanks
Takeo

Originally posted by civ_steve
I find it amazing (and amusing) to see some of the large empires, like SirPleb's, being guarded by such a small military!
It was a rather odd start, I'm not surprised to have landed in the "Extremists" group :)

I usually build less military at the start than I think most players do. In this game I carried that to a bit of an extreme. Didn't really plan to, I just kept delaying military buildup because I didn't seem to need any - barbarians were rare, the nearby rivals weren't sending any troops my way, and I figured I could switch to military production fairly quickly if that changed. I did get pillaged a bit due to the lack of defenses. I defended ok a couple of times in the early game against barbarians, producing archers when I saw them coming and could react quickly enough. Didn't always do that in time - up to 250BC my losses due to barbarians were: production on a nearly complete settler, production on a partly built galley, a few citizens, and a couple of times they took gold. Overall I didn't mind though, these hits seemed an ok tradeoff for the kind of build I was getting. :)

Civ_steve,

If you check the QSC scoring rules, you will see that we anticipated just such an eventuality in the scoring of the last 4 to 6 turns of the QSC. In general, we don't want the scoring process to drive people to do screwy things just to inflate the score.

Some scoring exploits are natural and appropriate once you realize they usually do benefit your game in the long run and these are mostly in the trade arena.

For the upgrade issues of ancient age units the swordsman upgrade is a great example. Warriors are worth 10 points because they are 10 shields and when combined with 40 gold would be worth 50 points. Compared to swordsman that is worth only 30 points you would lose 20 points per unit that you upgraded. The key to recovering the value is to use the swordsman instead of just upgrading to make yourself feel good or just in case. If you can capture a town from your enemy that contains 2 citizens, then the town has at least as much point value as two or three swordsman upgrades when you add up the territory + town + citizens.

The scoring system lets you claim a balancing bonus at the end of the QSC that just neutralizes the cost of upgrading units if there is a foreseeable or pending use.

In the last 4 to 6 turns, if you upgraded a stack of warriors into swords and headed them towards the enemy, then just make sure to claim the balancing bonus when you submit your QSC. If you upgraded the units to just fortify them in your towns like Don Knotts the horseman, then you would not get the balancing bonus.

First, I want to say thanks to Cracker and the rest of the staff for all the effort this obviously takes. This QSC concept is excellent, and really a great chance to analyze your opening moves and learn from the best. After looking at all the results, I decided to try and determine what trends/key decisions were made by those who had done better than me to see where I could improve. Unfortunately, Bremp didn't submit a timeline, nor did Cartouche Bee, who otherwise would have come in 7th. So I looked at the top 12 scores that did submit one. (I was going to do top ten, but by going to 12, I could include my results, to better compare what I did or didn't do right).

Anyway, rather than focusing on the results chart, I tried to look at their initial decisions and key events that would have the most impact on their game, and pull those from the timelines. There are obviously many other factors to consider, particularily trading, but it would be harder to compare. Anyway, here are some of the factors I found, and some comments.

First Tech Researched
Iron Working (5): Adel, Aeson, Civ_Steve, Justus_II, Moonsinger (all at 40 turns)
Alphabet (3): DaveMcW, Frankenchrist, Zenga (2 of 3 at 100% science)
Wheel (2): Bamspeedy, Yndy (Both at 100%)
Warrior Code (2): Lkendter, SirPleb (at 0%)
>>Obviously I wasn't alone in thinking about an early swords upgrade. I was curious why SirPleb selected Warrior code for 0%, unless it was to block it from coming from a hut.

First Build at Moscow
All Scouts (most 2 scouts, actually) but Adel, who built Barracks.
>> Everyone built one or 2 scouts to get a better idea of the land, except Adel, who apparently knew from the start he was going on a rampage!

Second Build (after scouts) (as mentioned, some built multiple scouts, also several slipped 1 warrior in)
Granary (6): Aeson, Bamspeedy, DaveMcW, Justus, Lkendter, Moonsinger
Settler (4): Adel, Frankenchrist, SirPleb, Zenga
Warriors (1): Civ_Steve (multiple) *(Bamspeedy, Zenga built one before switching)
Worker (1): Yndy
>>More people went for the granary first than the settler first. All then built a settler immediately thereafter. In fact, almost all of the 12 built granaries, as we will see in the next section. Yndy was the only one to build a 2nd worker early. Civ_Steve built several warriors before getting a settler.

Year Granary Completed (10 of 12 built one)
3150 – Moonsinger
3050 – Aeson, Bamspeedy, DaveMcW
3000 – Justus, Lkendter? (approximate, did not specify when completed)
2850 – Yndy
2510 – Frankenchrist
2390 – Civ_Steve
2190 - Zenga

Year First Settler Completed
3450 – SirPleb*
3150 – Frankenchrist*, Zenga
3050 – Adel*
3000 – Moonsinger*
2850 – Aeson, Bamspeedy
2800 – Justus*
2750 – DaveMcW, Lkendter
2630 – Yndy
* = Not counting free settler from hut.
>>Obviously, those building granaries first were delayed in getting their first settler. However, this delay was offset in some cases by a free settler from a hut. Since you can't get a settler from a hut if you are building one, building a granary should improve your odds of getting one from a hut, but only 2 of the 6 free settlers were to people buiding settlers. One person (I think it was Yndy) was using barracks to prebuild for settlers, and switching at the last turn, just to avoid blocking them from huts.

Free Settlers (6 got them from huts)
3750 – Adel, Civ_Steve, Frankenchrist
3700 – SirPleb
3200 – Justus_II, Moonsinger
>>Most got their settler from the south hut, which allowed them to build St. Petersburg near the capital. Moonsinger and I both got one from the hut 5-6 squares NE of the capital, which was not as productive (middle of all that forest), and had to be moved a couple of squares before settling. It is also interesting that only half of the players got one, since that is often cited as a reason for high QSC scores, is lucky events. Half the top scores did NOT get a free settler.

First Worker Task
Irrigate Cattle (9): Aeson, Bamspeedy, Civ_Steve, DaveMcW, Lkendter, Moonsinger, SirPleb, Yndy, Zenga
Mine Cattle (2): Frankenchrist, Justus_II
Road to Incense (1): Adel
>>I thought this was the most interesting strategic decision, and the first one that I realize I missed out on. Most players immediately recognized the premium on food and irrigated the cattle, whereas I (probably more out of reflex) mined it. Given the terrain, there were plenty of tiles to get good shield production from, and the advantage of a 4-food producer this early (especially combined with a granary and the game tile, see below), was worth way more than an extra shield. I also thought Adel's choice was interesting, going straight for a luxury, rather than improving production, interesting choice for a warmonger. I guess it would reduce the need for MPs and luxuries, allowing more gold for upgrades?

Cleared Forest from Game (4 did)
Irrigated: Yndy (3200), Civ_Steve (3000)
Mined: DaveMcW (2390), Bamspeedy (1950)
>>Another strategic oversight, it honestly never dawned on me to clear the game until I was well past this point, reading the first spoiler thread, then I went "doh!". My intention was to make Moscow a settler factory, but was happy to get one per 8 turns. When I saw what some of these players accomplished (1/4 turns!), I was amazed. Irrigated cattle plus game (even mined) gives a +5 food/turn, or pop increases every other turn with a granary. With all the other forest/hill/bonus tiles, coming up with shields was easy enough. I noticed two irrigated the game, giving +6 food, which at first I wondered about, but looking back, they were two of the later ones to build a granary, so probably needed the extra food production.

Free Techs from huts
Adel (1): CBurial
Aeson (4): Wheel, Horse, Alphabet, Writing
Bamspeedy (2): CBurial, Mysticism
Civ_Steve (1): Alphabet, Polytheism
DaveMcW: (4): CBurial, Wheel, Masonry, Horse
Frankenchrist (2): CBurial, IronWork
Justus_II (2): CBurial, Masonry
Lkendter (3): CBurial, Masonry, Mysticism
Moonsinger (1): Cburial
SirPleb (0)
Yndy (2): Alphabet, Horse
Zenga (1): Mysticism
>>Another area often attributed to luck, it was interesting that even with an expansionist civ, and multiple scouts, several players only got one free tech. Adel, who didn't build extra scouts, only got one free (well, except for all the ones he beat out of his enemies with swords!). SirPleb didn't get any, unless I missed it in his timeline, and had at least 2 scouts out. DaveMcW got the most, obviously helping his push for tech, but again it is hard to classify as luck, he planned for it with extra scouts. Also, they were mostly beginning techs. Aeson also got 4. Naturally most were first-tier techs, Ceremonial Burial came up the most, not sure if that is a function of the RNG or low cost or just what. Civ_Steve was fortunate to get Polytheism, an advanced tech, shows you should not stop looking. I actually got Mathmatics from a hut (after the QSC timeframe, about 700 BC).

First War
Germany (3): Aeson, DaveMcW, Adel*
China (1): Adel* (looks like Adel attacked them both at the same time)
All others had no early war
>>I started to track this, to see who people would regard as the easiest target/biggest threat, but it turns out the trend was to remain peaceful and trade techs for most. Even Aeson and DaveMcW were attacked (never trust Bismark - DaveMcW had GIVEN him at least 3 techs before this point). And of course Adel sent early stacks out against Beijing AND Berlin simultaneously, and basically doubled his empire in one stroke. After taking the two capitals, he was able to get peace and an extra city or two from each, ended up plus 5 cities IIRC.

Wonders
Pyramids: Adel, DaveMcW (Both completed with Great Leaders).
>>No one had really put any effort into building wonders (although DaveMcW was within a couple of turns of finishing the Forbidden Palace manually at the end). The two players who got Leaders used them to quickly build the Pyramids, which was worth 600-800 points (750-1000 after the timeline bonus). Again, there might be some luck involved, but it also obviously takes some planning, I think Adel was specifically planning on getting a leader. And the odds of getting a leader while at peace are . . .

Anyway, I know there is a lot more that can be gleaned from these timelines, and I'm sure I have missed some important points, but it is cool to look over how other players, faced with the same situation, made different decisions and how it affected their score. I have also been reviewing the results, and one thing that jumped out at me is I did not have nearly enough workers, a little less than half my cities (5/11), like second lowest of the other twelve. Even Adel had more when you count his slaves! I definitely need to make a point of working on that (unfortunately, QSC16 is done, but I did make more this time).
:rolleyes: Also got a better idea of how to do a timeline, need to brush mine up a bit!

Nice to see that my "dominating early performance" in this game was appreciated! Oh, wait - that was Adel.

The real humor of it is that I wasn't trying to do badly - even after those evil Germans stole my capital, I never gave up. I don't know what I was thinking... things obviously weren't getting any better... but somehow I hung in there through my loss in the 1800s with practically nothing but the shirt off my back.

I couldn't stop laughing when I looking at the scoring table for the "Points to Global," to see what I was going to get out of all this, and saw down at the bottom - 8s, 7s, 6s, and then me all by my lonesome at a whopping 2.4!

Yep, I definitely fit in the "Extreme" category here: "Extreme"ly bad! :lol:

Thanks for the award - it really made my day, and somehow gave redeeming value to the whole semi-miserable experience.

edit: removed reference to my own misreading of some of the results. duh! *smacks self upside head*

Originally posted by Justus II
I was curious why SirPleb selected Warrior code for 0%, unless it was to block it from coming from a hut.
Yup, that's why I selected Warrior Code, figured it would be easy to trade for later. I actually sent out 6 scouts but it didn't do much good for tech, I got only one tech from a hut (Ceremonial Burial.) Could have done with less scouts. Can't complain with what I got from huts though, I did get a settler!

Wow! Great overview, Justus II. :)
Let me see what I can salvage from my own attempt:

First Tech: Alphabet (max science)
First Build at Moscow: Granary (3250 BC)
Second Build at Moscow: Settler (3050 BC) *
Free Settlers: 1 (3850 BC, from the hut NW :))
First Worker task: Cattle irrigated
Game harvested: -
Free Techs from Huts: 2 (Warrior Code and Horseback Riding :()
Early War: -
Wonders: The Pyramids (by hand :D)

Resources connected might also be interesting, but perhaps not all the timelines are mentioning this (I got Incense, Horses and Furs, traded for Silks).

Thanks Justus II, this is a very nice summary and I was surprised to see the differences between my play and that of the others. It was a first time for me to build that early extra worker and it was given the amount of forest that I could see. I’m not sure if that helped or not but it seemed as a good idea at that time.

Originally posted by ControlFreak

Heres average score for each group:
5298.8 - Group 1 – Warmongers
4472.0 - Group 2 – Extreme
5122.5 - Group 3 – Builders
4575.0 - Group 4 – Middle of Road.
4657.1 - Group 5 – Temples

Note that the Extreme group's average score suffers from combining the extreme successful strategies with the extremely unsuccessful strategies. (included the 2 lowest scores)

Ok, I've looked an I can't find any really good definitions here. Could someone give a brief description of each of these titles? Warmonger is pretty obvious. But I'm unsure about any of the other definitions. Also, where does a peacemonger such as myself fit in here. I might guess, Builder? Perhaps Extremist?

The titles I've seen listed are

The Warmongers
The Extremists
The Builders
The Moderates
The Templars

Perhaps we should have a sub forum for each. :crazyeye:

The Warmongers
The Extremists
The Builders
The Moderates
The Templars

The numerous games had to be sorted somehow to ease the comparison between games. The criteria were just set as the games were sorted. The warmongers were the ones that had engaged in combat before 1000BC. The builders are most of the peacemongers while the moderates are somewhere in between (as in they built armies but did not attack before 1000BC. The templars went for some early culture and the extremists took uncommon approaches as Bamspeedy, crammin’ the cities together, the OCCs etc.

Justus_II

Great analysis. With all the info cracker and staff provided, I needed an executive summary to prevent getting fired from read Civ all day.:lol:

I too realized the worth of harvesting the timber from the game site until very late. Won't make that mistake again.

CF

Hmm - never really saw myself as an extremist before. Our average was fairly distorted by Charis Occ and Adelmae's adventures! Take those two out and I suspect a slightly different picture might emerge.

One small point, I couldnt be bothered to add up all the shields and food in progress at the end so didnt claim any of those points. Probably another 100-200 points I guess. Is there an easy way of getting this info other than going through each city in turn and manually adding them up. I notice that the 1000bc in progress points varied considerably across the games.

I'll add to the chorus of "fantastic job!" to cracker and the gotm folks for this analysis, what a wealth of info!

Hey col, I was thinking the same thing except "Bamspeedy and Col are messing up the OCC averages!!!" ;)

There's definitely a distinction between "Extremists" who are trying unusual approaches in an effort to "do well" vs "Variants" who are doing something off the wall with wholesale disregard for the scoring :p Although both camps, by their definition, defy any attempts at 'averaging'.

I'm not surprised the OCC score was at the bottom, but it's too bad there's really no benefit from a scoring point of view that your two neighbors have been knocked back about a millenium. Then again, Egypt's ascension meant that this did not in fact get translated to a long term gain.

Charis

After reading this thread, I managed to give a quick look at Aeson's timeline.

It is really funny. Plus, it also tells of a highly inspired game... what to say? I'm just too lazy and just not good enough for such feats... :worshp:

What a difference one turn makes!!!

Since I don't expect anyone to read my timeline--I placed 42nd, and dead last of the warmongering group, after all! <g>--I just had to go back and verify something for myself...

When 1000 BC rolled around I was poised to take Beijing. China had nothing I wanted to keep me from doing it, but I was moving another horseman into position to join the assault just to make sure...

The VERY NEXT TURN, China all of a sudden has Map Making, Polytheism AND Philosophy! So I take Beijing and sue for peace and get all those techs + 128 gp + Shanghai for the cost of losing one horseman! IF China had those techs in 1000 BC I would have gotten all that in my QSC score!

+1061 point for the techs, +120 for citizens, + 40 for the 2 towns + 128 gp + 54 for new tiles - 30 dead horseman = 1373! x 1.25 for timeline = 1716 more to my score of 5144 = 6860. I move from 42nd to 13th!

The lesson I've learned from reading these results is that the techs are VERY important--all the scores are clustered together but that one extra tech vaults you up into the next cluster.

If I had given the Germans something, I may have been able to have China get their techs that turn earlier. Alas, like Moonsinger, I have not given away any techs in GOTM16, though I DO have more tech than I did in GOTM15. (But absolutely no warmongering this time!)

The interesting thing in reading the timelines is that I bet the old grognards are the ones using txt files! ;-) In my day we didn't have those fancy, smanzy spreadsheets or web page editors! We had Notepad and we liked it!

Cracker: I'd seen the balancing bonus factor, but didn't really understand it. Thanks for the clarification!

JustusII: Great Summary!! I'd say your review and comments will greatly assist any players who struggle in the early game. In your review you noted that I built several warriors and a settler before building a Granary. I knew I was going to build a Granary early, but the timing was due to certain conditions. The early free Settler allowed an early 2nd city, which I placed rather aggressively to the SouthWest. The problem was defending it, it was 5 turns away from Moscow. A Chinese Elite Warrior came into view when I had only 2 warriors, 1 in Moscow, and 1 halfway between Moscow and St Petes. My roadway was partially built, so I was able to put both Warriors in St Pete's, build a 3rd Warrior in Moscow, and make a gpt trade with China to convince Mao to remain at peace, and he did. After finishing the road, my worker was available to chop down the Game forest; to provide the proper timing, I built a Settler, 3 more warriors and then the Granary, which the cleared Forest contributed 10 shields to. After that, Moscow was turning out Settlers every 4 turns, and continued to do so until around 500 AD.

Originally posted by pterrok
The interesting thing in reading the timelines is that I bet the old grognards are the ones using txt files! ;-) In my day we didn't have those fancy, smanzy spreadsheets or web page editors! We had Notepad and we liked it!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not to mention the old MS-DOS text editor...

-------------------

"Grognards"... You had me search the dictionary for that one. And lo! :eek: the "Cambridge International Dictionary of English" does not report it, jumping from "groggy" to "groin"...
Is it a similar concept to "curmudgeon"?

Wow!, Wow! Never in wildest dreams expected this much information. Can't say "good job". Can't say "great job".

Outstanding!!

== PF

Top Bottom