Qsc15 Results - "A New Era Opened by Russian Imperialism"

Hail Nobel Zagnuticus Quaestorius,

Putting you in that group was probably my fault, since I completed the sorting. Sorting the games was a lot more difficult than I originally planned. It's amazing that out of 56 games, virtually every one of them was unique in many ways. Putting you in with the new age crowd might have made you feel like the fox in the hen house.

Does this portend of your behavior with the gladius in Gotm16?

crackerus

It does take me awhile, but I think I have finally figured out CB's secret for the early conquest.[dance] I think I will try it out in GOTM#17 (if MOO3 delays again).

Cracker:

Unfortunately my behavior in GOTM 16 should put me in with the Templars. Very peaceful.

One other question for you. I never had my results included in the game summary for GOTM 13. You may remember that you had trouble with my zip files. I sent in a couple of different zip formats. Much time was wasted and my game never made it into the summary. However, do I get credit for submitting and are the results considered in my overall score?

Moonsinger@

Do tell. Do tell. (Or at least summarize CB's attack plan.) My strategy in GOTM16 failed miserably, and I plan on taking AdelaMae's position next month.

Originally posted by Moonsinger
It does take me awhile, but I think I have finally figured out CB's secret for the early conquest.[dance] I think I will try it out in GOTM#17 (if MOO3 delays again).

I have a theory but lack the time to test it :cry: . Since it is only a theory I'd better keep it for myself so that you not blame me if it fails. But I will tell you if it works.

Now it is true that CB sent me a PM and answered some specific questions but maybe I asked the wrong questions.:lol:

Originally posted by Yndy
I have a theory but lack the time to test it :cry: . Since it is only a theory I'd better keep it for myself so that you not blame me if it fails. But I will tell you if it works.

After all these times, I finally realized that it doesn't take much for a regular unit to become a veteran unit. For the most case, win 1 battle and they will become veteran. In all my previously game, I have spended too much time on building the barracks. According to CB style (I'm guessing here and I could be wrong), CB doesn't really waste time on contructing barracks. Just build as many regular warriors ASAP and send them directly into battle to eliminate the nearest and weakest neighbor ASAP. By doing that, CB were able to quickly increase the number of cities and lands and also a chance for an early Great Leader for rushing the Pyramid or Great Library.:) Of course, that is just a theory. I need to do a few more test.

//edit note: correcting "waste any time" to "waste time". Basically I mean CB didn't build any barracks because that's a waste of time.

Moonsinger,

I am not sure what CB does for the quick conquests but that is one of the ways to quickly move out with the troops. Another thought is to leave an area open for a barb camp and use it as training for your troops to get upgraded before going to war. By not killing the camp a barb is generated every turn or two. Set up a road to the camp and have regular troops attack until they get Elite status. Remember do not destroy the camp. When you get a comfortable amount send them to the front and that should help generate leaders as well.

Moonsinger, I was lumped in with the QSC warmongers (no barracks?) but I was doing expansion, warriors were just MP's. I had the highest game score (377) of QSC submissions at 1000BC from expansion. My initial goal was just a culture win and burned as much resources as I could early on that but the game advanced enough on the conquest, domination fronts that I decided to slow the culture down and leave the game in the position to win by conquest, domination, space and culture in 1585AD. That's one of the reasons I sent in my game before the win, the other reason is so that the game summary can be viewed when the game win is triggered. Sending that game after the win denies the masses from seeing the replay which is an interesting feature for some.

Originally posted by Creepster
Moonsinger,

I am not sure what CB does for the quick conquests but that is one of the ways to quickly move out with the troops. Another thought is to leave an area open for a barb camp and use it as training for your troops to get upgraded before going to war. By not killing the camp a barb is generated every turn or two. Set up a road to the camp and have regular troops attack until they get Elite status. Remember do not destroy the camp. When you get a comfortable amount send them to the front and that should help generate leaders as well.

That's a great idea. That is even better than I have orginally planned.:)

PS: Even though it is optional, I will follow CB foot steps and will definitely include my 10AD, 2049 AD save along with the 2050 AD save next time.

Well, I'm just starting to catch up on the 3+ weeks of internet chatter I've missed. Nice to see the great turn-out for the Qsc.

About gifting techs: Yes, I almost always give away techs on Monarch and below. On lower levels I never have a problem buying the techs or beating them out of the AI. This does speed up the tech pace. Tech pace really helps out for score (railroads and happiness wonders). Like has been explained before, if you actively trade with the AI and trade the techs away that you are getting from huts, then the AI might get a tech from a hut, so (as long as you have the money to buy the techs), you have all the other civs popping huts for techs to help you speed along in techs, like in DaveMcW's game. And it does help AI attitude which I will fully explain in a study I'll post later in the Strategy Articles forum.

Edit: Here's the article for AI attitudes:
AI attitude

I usually don't bother with wonders- takes too much resources out of your expansion. Sun Tzu's is usually the first one I bother to manually build myself. I depend on capturing the ones I want (if there is a decent # of opponents nearby-pangea map). I do try and get some early wars started hoping for a leader, but sometimes wars don't get started until after 1000 BC. Even though my cities were tightly packed, you can still easily get a city to be a wonder-building city by just doing a little micro-managing-and yes, that does cause a few other cities to be a 'squished' for awhile.

I probably had a 6-7 tiles/city ratio until I set every city to hurry up and build another settler to quickly double my # of cities before 1000 B.C. The recently built cities were on the edges of my empire and had a higher tile/city ratio, boosting up the average.

Cleared Forest from Game (4 did)
>>Another strategic oversight, it honestly never dawned on me to clear the game until I was well past this point, reading the first spoiler thread, then I went "doh!". My intention was to make Moscow a settler factory, but was happy to get one per 8 turns. When I saw what some of these players accomplished (1/4 turns!), I was amazed. Irrigated cattle plus game (even mined) gives a +5 food/turn, or pop increases every other turn with a granary. With all the other forest/hill/bonus tiles, coming up with shields was easy enough. I noticed two irrigated the game, giving +6 food, which at first I wondered about, but looking back, they were two of the later ones to build a granary, so probably needed the extra food production.

+6 food doesn't do you any good at all until you get to size 7+, that is why I mined the game. I wanted to work that tile sooner, but felt I needed more tiles mined first so I had the production. Industrious workers wouldn't have this dilema.

+5 food with a granary=settler every 4 turns, 8 turns without a granary.

+6 food with a granary=settler every 4 turns, 8 turns without a granary.

Because with a granary you need 10 food, you produced 12, the 2 food is lost when you gain a population point, so it still takes 4 turns/2 population points. Without a granary it still takes 8 turns to gain 2 population points, and you are essentially wasting 4 food. Those that irrigated the game could make up for some of this loss by working forests or hills every other turn, or to work the lesser food terrain to bring you back down to +5 food. Or in the case of cities built close together, the irrigated game could be used by some other city. Having 2 cities at +4 food (+8 total food) is better than 1 city at +5 food and the other at +2 (+7 total food). Whether you put a granary in both cities or not would change the argument a little.

My question is does Bamspeedy et. al. look at a city site and think mine/irrigate>settler every 4? Or do they add the food and sheilds up on their toes like I do.:lol:

Wishing I was better at making these snap judgements...it might make my game play faster. I spent 3 hours or so drawing out dotmaps and the like planning my 3rd-6th city.

CF

Top Bottom