1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Qu01 (.5) No Buildings [3.17 + Solver's]

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by Quotey, Jun 28, 2008.

1. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

Looks like I'm up (I will be busy tomorrow so I wanted to make sure I got my round done ASAP). I played 27 turns by the way.

Inherited Turn - Will stick with hunting as we do have deer.

Turn 1 (49/2775 BC) - Our warrior (wow who created those weird names ;)) kills a barbarian lion! Woo hoo! But more desert...:cry:

Turn 2 (50/2750 BC) - More bad news: we meet Joao II (Imperialistic/Expansive).

Turn 3 (51/2725 BC) - Joao II converts to Taoism, but he didn't found it. Also, we are the second largest civ while Mao is first.

Turn 4 (52/2700 BC) - Warrior done. Will grow to size 4 then start worker/settler as working the gold results in the capital taking too long to grow to size 5 for my liking.

Turn 5 (53/2675 BC) - Hunting in, choose Writing (8 Turns) so that we can get open borders for more income (not for the libraries of course) in the future. Writing also leads to a lot of other techs.

Turn 6 (54/2650 BC) - Our western exploring warrior gets a promotion available. I choose Woodsman I.

Turn 7 (55/2625 BC) - Tribal village in the north gives us Horseback Riding. :goodjob:

Turn 8 (56/2600 BC) - Zzz

Turn 9 (57/2575 BC) - Warrior done, start worker (capital is at size 4). My plan is to finish the cottage the current worker is building, then chop the riverside forested hill to speed up the worker, then have one chop for settler while the other one builds roads to copper site.

Turn 10 (58/2550 BC) - Zzz

Turn 11 (59/2525 BC) - Worker starts to chop.

Turn 12 (60/2500 BC) - Zzz

Turn 13 (61/2475 BC) - Writing in, I will select Masonry, even though we won't be building stuff from it. I selected it because it is a prerequisite of Construction for catapults. Oh yeah, we also meet Julius Caesar (Organized/Imperialistic) who is pleased with Joao II and cautious with Mao Zedong.

Turn 14 (62/2450 BC) - Zzz

Turn 15 (63/2425 BC) - Warrior up north kills panther and is promoted to Woodsman I. Our worker is done chopping the forested hill and the production of our second worker will be done next turn.

Turn 16 (64/2400 BC) - Worker done, start a settler in the capital, due in 19 turns. I will be chopping two forests with two workers to accelerate it.

Turn 17 (65/2375 BC) - Zzz

Turn 18 (66/2350 BC) - Northern warrior officially sees Chinese border north of us (it was partially visible last turn). We need to discuss if we will be rushing Mao.

Turn 19 (67/2325 BC) - Masonry done, choose Mathematics due in 18.

Rationale:

• Mysticism is not needed as we are creative
    • Archery is not needed as there is copper nearby
    • Iron Working, while it will be necessary, is not a high priority because of copper
    • Sailing is not necessary since we aren't planning on building the great lighthouse nor are we coastal.
    • Alphabet could have been an option but I decide that we can get it later since Monarch level AI's shouldn't get Alpha this quick
    • Metal Casting is ... well, way to expensive
    • Aesthetics is only good for its wonders and trade value, neither of which we need at the moment.
    • So I go for Mathematics. :) It will lead to Construction and Currency, two of my favorite techs. Not to mention Code of Laws once we get Priesthood.

Turn 20 (68/2300 BC) - Zzz

Turn 21 (69/2275 BC) - Double chop done, settler is due in 6. By the way, Mao has 2 cities and his land is great.

Turn 22 (70/2250 BC) - Send one worker to road and one worker to camp deer.

Turn 23 (71/2225 BC) - Zzz

Turn 23 (72/2200 BC) - Zzz

Turn 25 (73/2175 BC) - We meet Ramesses II (Spiritual/Industrious).

Turn 26 (74/2150 BC) - Zzz

Turn 27 (75/2125 BC) - Settler is done. Tentatively put hammers into a warrior. This can be changed by the next person if they feel like it. We also meet De Gaulle (Industrious/Charismatic).

I ended here. Here's an overview of the map with the west followed by east.

(France's borders claim the clams in the north.)

Here is where I propose settling our second city.

Our creative trait will get the copper soon enough, and the city will get several floodplains along with a luxury resource. It also improves a nasty desert tile in the center of the city.

So what should our plan be? Found the city (city location is debatable), then crank out some axes while teching towards Currency or Construction and aim for Mao is what I am proposing.

The save:

Attached Files:

2. Quotey

Quotey Chieftain

That spot looks good to me. I'd say go at Mao with some Axes due to us having a lot of unit build time to construction. By the way: We may NOT delete units. I'll put that in the first post eventually.

Quotey {on deck}
    mystyfly
    DMOC jus tplayed
    Atropos [UP]

Atropos, if you play quick enough I might squeeze another set in. Any lurkers who want to join, It'd be cool if we could have one or two more players- just slot yourselves in.

3. mystyfly

mystyfly Knight of Cydonia

It looks like Mao has the best land around so I'm all for stirring up trouble. I prefer to go to war with cats / phants mostly so we could settle 2N of copper. I think we're too late for an axerush so I'd rather bring stronger units. Does Mao have horse/copper/iron?

4. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

I did not check to see if Mao has horse/copper/iron, although let's assume he does.

So should we found 1 city before rushing or 2? (we could find my proposed city then found a city 2n of copper or nearby to get elephants.)

5. mystyfly

I say we only need 1 city to cut maintenance, however if we shoot for phants, we need to have something useful to build - workers? I don't think axerushing will be successful so I suggest not hurrying the ivory city. Also - we can't delete units but sacrifice those warriors agains barbs is okay right? :D

6. Quotey

Quotey Chieftain

Yup! This is mainly so we don't start deleting units later in the game where our massive army could kill us financially. But more cities means more units- perhaps we will decide to forego building seige in favour of ramming heads against city walls?

7. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

I'm in favor of just building one city and making a lot of axes.

And also, if we build 1 city. I think we should tech to Currency after Mathematics rather than Construction so we can build wealth in our cities when we don't need military. (In favor of building a lot of axes and suiciding them.)

8. mystyfly

:agree:
    Math > currency > construction. I'm just still not convinced that axes will do the job, but I have fairly few experience on monarch :p

9. Atropos

Atropos Beware my geekhood

Got it. I've been out of the loop for a bit with work, so I'm going to reread the thread, take a while to look at the save and play tomorrow.

10. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

I will be gone from july 15ish thru aug 3 or 4

11. Atropos

Turn 0: I momentarily consider moving the planned city to the coast before remembering that this would be monumentally pointless. I decide to finish the warrior. We can always use them for city police. I'm working the farmed floodplain instead of the deer, since the coin is worth more than the shield when we have so little to build.
    Turn 1: Nada.
    Turn 2: Utrecht founded -> warrior.
    Turn 3: Nada.
    Turn 4: Westernmost scouting warriors beats an archer (in jungle). I consider just letting him die to another but decide his info is useful for deciding what to do about the elephants
    Turn 5: Nada.
    Turn 6: The Chinese make a technological breakthrough.

I decide to build a worker in Amsterdam. We need one and there's nothing else useful to build.
    Turn 7: Nada.
    Turn 8: Mathematics in. I go for currency as discussed. Romans want OB, I refuse (we should probably OB with everyone who is not someone's worst enemy, but I'm leaving it for team discussion).
    Turn 9: Utrecht borders expand, start hooking up copper.
    Turn 10: De Gaulle wants OB, refuse.
    Turn 11: Nada.
    Turn 12: I cackle with evil glee as the Chinese have a slave revolt. GW built, it's Egypt's.
    Turn 13: Warrior beats barb archer. I never have such luck when I actually care about my warriors' fate.
    Turn 14: Nada. As scouting near elephants has revealed a nice city spot with two elephants and a cow, plus a bunch of hills – a great production spot - I am thinking that a second settler would be worth it.
    Turn 15: Utrecht warrior auto-changes to spearman as copper has been hooked up. That's fine; we'll need a few for our axe rush in case Mao has or buys horses.
    Turn 16: Mao wants OB, I refuse. I decide to pass on the torch here as the worker completes and I don't want to make the build I would prefer (a settler) without discussion. We can either do that, build another much-needed worker or get straight to the axe buildup.

The projected city site:

The world, or as much of it as would usefully fit:

Attached Files:

12. mystyfly

Dude I believe our land gets crappier everytime I look at it :lol:

RE city site: I'm for settling another city before we attack, it helps cutting unit maintenance/supply. 1NE of eastern ivory seems best to me, on the grassland hill, it'll get a FP and bananas once Mao's gone. It indeed will have nice production and the food to work it. Being uphill it will be easily defended.

Are we planning to seal de gaulle off or attacking him too? I'm for :hammer: as it's more fun :p and we'll already have a nice veteran army as well as phants.

RE OB: I usually OB with everyone early game I meet, especially with those who founded a religion as they often spend missionaries which is good. Also, you hardly ever (i can't remember anyway) get -X "you traded with our worst enemy", this only comes into play much later. And we need an OB with Mao to scout his terrain. I suggest keeping that fortounate but unloved warrior in mao territory so we also always know when he's about to settle.

Is Quotey still there? Otherwise I'm up.

edit: We really need to hook up gold and silver near the capital. Building a worker was a nice move. Forges are pretty high on my list.

13. mystyfly

I looked at the save and I didn't find a thing to rant about RE your play :lol:

Only this small thing: In a SG, you usually hand over a save where you played the last turn of your set out. I was a bit confused when I saw all those unmoved units tbh :lol:

14. Atropos

Good to know, sorry about that :)

As for there not being anything else to rant about, that wasn't hard as I made a grand total of zero important decisions in the course of the set.

15. mystyfly

No Problem.

Now I finally found when Quotey is on skip: 4th - 12th july. That makes me up. [got it. will play after DMOC chimes in.]

16. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

Founding a third city is fine with me. THEN we can start the troop build up.

Also, fogbusters should be on the hills instead of flat terrain.

17. mystyfly

Nah, we're breeding some free XP :lol:

Playing in ~12hrs.

18. Diamondeye

Diamondeye So Happy I Could Die

I dont think I can be in here, goin on vacation until 19th, but I have a few suggestions:
    happiness will be an issue as well. I suggest making Calendar a priority. Also CoL for CasteSystem seems obvious, since you will have no buildings providing slots.

19. mystyfly

Yeah I also see CS as obvious, but :) shouldn't be an issue due to HR and the many units we'll have.

I don't think we'll finish this one that soon, I'll also be busy working somewhere in the mountains, far away from civilised stuff like internet and pc's so I'll have to be skipped too. So you're in :goodjob:

That makes the roster look like this:

Quotey - skipped
    mystyfly - UP NOW
    DMOC - on deck
    Atropos - just played
    Diamondeye

BTW I just realized I'm up. I'm sorry I forgot to play, as my set on AA took way longer than expected and I didn't have time this night :)beer:) so I'll play in ~12hrs :D

20. Liquidated

Liquidated Goofed Up on Cough Syrup!

A generic pangea map script rolled that pathetic excuse for a starting area? :confused:

Wow, that's prolly the most desolate region I've seen that doesn;t include ice/tundra or a psychotic map script :eek:

That inland sea in the west is just there to taunt I guess:lol:

Cheers!
    -Liq