Qu01 (.5) No Buildings [3.17 + Solver's]

Played 16 turns

(92) (IHT)
OB with everyone.
Our new worker starts hooking up gold and silver (done by the end of the set).

(98)
Meet 'n OB Brennus:

(99)
Mao gets a slave revolt in Shanghai. Hehehe... :D

(101)
Machiavelli thinks we're not wealthy

I note we aren't in slavery so I switch.

IBT
Our warriors kill two barb warriors.

(102)
We make a Breakthrough!

Settler at Amsterdam gets 2pop whipped.

(103)
Amsterdam: Settler > Axe

(106)
The Hague founded

(108)
Currency in > Construction

---

I end my set here. We really need to get those axes out. We have a nice :) cap of 6 and 5 respectively so growth shouldn't be a problem. We're very late to "rush" and should mix in some cats and phants before we DOW otherwise I'm afraid we get smashed. We don't need stack protectors, as Mao seems to have no strat. resource but will likely have iron me thinks.

Worker is hooking up ivory near the hague now.

"Battle Plan":

You'll also like to hear, that none of the three cities mao has so far is on a hill [party]

View attachment Qu01.5 No Buildings BC-1300.CivBeyondSwordSave

I think teching will be probabely IW > CoL > CS, CoL for Caste and CS for Maces. We need to find a spot for a GPFarm.

I played until turn 127 to the discovery of construction. Perhaps we should whip catapults? I didn't use the whip at all this round because I wanted our cities to grow.

I basically made only axemen (don't need spears) and kept a scout in Mao's territory. Mao has 2 more settlers now so taking him down could take a while. Meanwhile, I formed two stacks (one in our northen city and one in the southern one).

On the last turn of the round, a couple of civs got Alphabet. I'm saying we should hold off trading at the moment but we could use Mathematics in exchange for IW...just a thought.

The map:

I put research into Iron Working, as discussed.

I would recommend not chopping our second city (north of Amsterdam) as it is already unhealthy, but I think Amsterdam itself should be chopped extensively to form our army.

Save:

Attachments

• Qu01.5 No Buildings BC-0825.CivBeyondSwordSave
    107.9 KB · Views: 54
I'm back already.

I'm for whipping and chopping units, but add some phants as well as they have a very high base strenght.

I think Math for IW is a good deal, try to get some gold too. We need to know where to pillage.

I'm thinking of waiting until Brennus gets more gold or if someone else gets gold and alphabet. I'm not too keen on the idea of giving Mao math in exchange for IW and gold. And we need Horseback Riding for elephants.

And Brennus doesn't even have agriculture?!?

So tech path is Horseback Riding -> Code of Laws -> Civil Service?

Why shouldn''t we give mao math? He'll probabely queue up aqueducts everywhere :lol:

Agree with your tech path. I always seem to forget HBR :hammer2:

I would be careful about chopping units. Health could be a problem with no granaries, grocers, aqueducts or supermarkets.

Mao gets a slave revolt in Shanghai. Hehehe...

How??? Shangai is not his capital.

I don't like the idea of chopping forests. One because of no buildings, two because I assume there will be few resources:

Liquidated said:
crappy map pangaea standard

Rolled random climate- got burned (arid).

slave revolt:

prereq: slavery AND city with pop4+ AND writing OR mono OR Priesthood OR IW

(from ori's list of REs)

Ah crap, I thought I already posted a roster.

Quotey
mystyfly
DMOC [just played]
Atropos (UP NOW)
Diamondeye {on deck}

We'll pretend the last two days never happened.

What, I'm up already? Seems like I just played.

Got it.

Turn 0: Note a settler of Mao's heading off to build a city somewhere. Plenty of trades we could make, but I just do the trade discussed for now: math for IW and 50 gold. Code of Laws up next. We have iron.

I switch some builds to catapults so that I can do two-pop whips.

Turn 1: Nanjing is founded and claims iron for Mao.

This could be bad, but war elephants are incredibly imbalanced and should see us through. It's not as if we're in a hurry to end the war and go back to building infrastructure :) I send the scouting warrior back to our cities so that we can use him as police. I think Hereditary Rule will be very powerful for us with this variant. Whip cats in Utrecht and Floodsterdam. See a worker chopping a hill forest and momentarily cancel it before realizing we have an odd number of forests. Change all city names on a whim, next player can change back if he feels like it.

Turn 2: Man, it feels strange producing units with no barracks. Send the forest-chopping worker to the iron. We might find a couple of swords useful. JC discovers the delights of Hinduism. I feel tempted to trade for alphabet but I'll leave it to the team. Decide to leave the warrior near Mao's capital after all, for information.
Turn 3: Roading to Mao's capital.
Turn 4: Brennus wants currency for alphabet, feels a bit disproportionate (he might be researching it). I follow my policy of leaving non-urgent trades for team discussion. Then, “Julius Caesar has declared war on Mao Zedong.” This is bad. Mao is weak and could get steamrollered. I consider stopping and asking the team for the best policy, but we just don't have enough of an army yet to do anything.
Turn 5: Things continue to hot up as De Gaulle declares war on Caesar. Mao must have bribed him. I get a screenshot this time:

This is good, as it will distract JC from our cities (I mean the ones Mao is currently squatting).

Turn 6: Whip an elephant in our second city. Elephants are much better than axes; promotions will be hard to come by so base strength is critical.
Turn 7: Guangzhou captured (the city closest to the Roman Empire). A couple of praetorians were enough as Mao's city defenses are so weak. Chop a hillside forest at our northernmost city as we will need the hill later (obvious production city).
Turn 8: Nada. JC's troops are healing.
Turn 9: De Gaulle adopts Organized Religion. Ivory city axe - > catapult. I am not whipping that city because it has very little food.
Turn 10: Portugal builds the Temple of Artemis. Shanghai captured, I am surprised to see a praetorian that far south. I stop here as Mao is getting overrun and we need to decide what to do.

The world:

The save:

Attachments

• Qu01.5 No Buildings BC-0575.CivBeyondSwordSave
    117.8 KB · Views: 53
Quotey (UP NOW)
mystyfly {on deck}
DMOC
Atropos [just played]
Diamondeye AUTOSKIP UNTIL 19TH

I won't lie here, I hate the renaming of cities. I can sort of understand renaming Xochichalco to something, but The Hague? Amsterdam? I'll change the names back on my turn at least.

On tech trades- if we wish to bribe JC to peace (look for a stack first!) buy Alphabet from Mao giving him Construction. Or we could buy it from someone for Math + Currency, but I have no problem with giving Mao cats.

Perhaps we should declare on JC and take Shangai? Injured Praet in a city vs Axeman is a win for us. But JC prolly has a big stack. But if he did use it up on Shangai, would anyone be opposed to grabbing it? It's a good city.

We do need more cats to take down Beijing, but those are in production.

Finally, as a side note, I just noticed we have a palace. Anyone opposed to this being removed? It's the principle of the thing, although it SHOULD make maintenence costs hell. In a test game it gives a No Palace Penalty instead. I want this talked about or done before Diamondeye plays. A lurker could go into WB and remove it. That's assuming there are lurkers :p

I won't rename cities again.

I don't think JC has a big stack. I was surprised to see troops that far south at all. I think it would be a good idea to nab Shanghai, and it would get us points with De Gaulle.

Top Bottom