Question about Amurite wizards

beorn

Prince
I tried the Amurites for the first time and got an unpleasant surprise. My wizard threw a fireball, and it did as much collateral damage to my troops as it did to the enemy.

Since this happened with the wizards that have the metamagic 2 promotion and not with the others, I assume that that is the cause. Is this working as designed? It seems to greatly diminish the use of fireballing Amurite wizards, since wizards cannot really stand out there all on their own to do their casting. It seems you have to use spell extension and target enemies two spaces away from your allies?

Or am I missing something?

Hmmm. That is strange behavior. Are you using any modmods? Were you, by any chance, attacking a stack of units which included pyre zombies and/or sons of asena? Metamagic should not affect your fireballs that way.

Hmmm. That is strange behavior. Are you using any modmods? Were you, by any chance, attacking a stack of units which included pyre zombies and/or sons of asena? Metamagic should not affect your fireballs that way.
No modmods, but there were sons of asena in the stack. I see nothing in the civolepedia that would account for this -- what is it about sons of asena that would cause a fireball to "bounce back" on my stack?

It has nothing to do with the fireball. Any unit that destroys a Son of Asena would have that effect.

Pyre Zombies are supposed to explode when they are defeated, doing fire damage to all units in adjacent tiles. However, Kael somehow moved the PythonPostCombatLost call from Pyre Zombies where it belongs to the Sons of Asena were it does not belong, and then disappeared before releasing an official patch to fix this. (There is an unofficial patch, and pretty much every modmod has corrected the issue.)

Side note: Metamagic 2 doesn't affect summons. If a spell says "Increases spell damage by X%" then it only affects spells that do damage directly, such as maelstrom or destroy undead.

Top Bottom