1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about wonders

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by Rhye, Sep 21, 2006.

?

Would you like a couple of new wonders even though there isn't any movie available?

1. Yes, I don't care

77.3%
  2. No, everything must respect the standards of quality as it's always been from RoC on

22.7%
  1. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

Would you like a couple of new wonders even though there isn't any movie available?

2. UglyBoy

UglyBoy Pseudo Impossible

For now I'm not bothered especially since in other ways the mod isn't finished yet. It would be nice once it's nearer complete that movies are added.

3. Blasphemous

Blasphemous Graulich

One of the greatest things about RoC and RFC is that production quality has always been very close to that maintained by Firaxis. I don't think this should even be up for debate. If somebody really wants wonder X, unit Y or civ Z in the game, and we can't do it without sacrifing production quality, that player should make the graphics themselves or find someone else willing to do it. I can't think of any case right now where the high production quality requirement is holding back important gameplay elements, and historical pets are not a good reason to sacrific production quality.

4. Appren

Appren Chieftain

I could not care less if a wonder has a movie or not, as long as the wonder itself (effect mainly, map graphics lesser) is well designed and useful.

5. Rod

Rod King

Hello,

I really think it is very important maintain the quality. That is making all the difference. RoC was all about quality.

I believe that as more things you have in RFC as more the player has to decide, as more time he has to spent. But RFC is all about 'Time-Saving' !
    Time Saving is not only possible in the background of the processing time during the turns, but also in the front end, when I have to manage my turn.

That makes all the difference. If we now just add elements, we will just increase the time in the front end. If we even add elements that are without pleasure (as the movies and graphics give to us) it is even more senseless.

6. Blasphemous

Blasphemous Graulich

I should probably add that for all I care wonder movies can be abolished across the board. It wouldn't be a huge loss.
    The thing is they must be either in or out; and if they're in there can't be one or two or five that stick out because of low quality, and there certainly can't be wonders that stick out simply by having no movie at all.

7. UglyBoy

I second that!

8. Prestidigitator

Prestidigitator Prince

I don't mind, especially that I know that wonder movies will be as rare as snow in summer :undecide:, it is not worth making a movie when it takes so much time besides not being of optimum quality.
    So I certainly don't mind the lack of wonder movies.

9. kairob

kairob Biohazard

I voted no, however having read the post I would not mind if all of them were taken out (or even replaced them all with a still image as it would be easier to make).

10. Tyranausaurus

Tyranausaurus Warlord

If we are voting no because there are no wonder movies, I guarantee this mod isn't going to have any wonders.

11. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

okay then, these are the facts:
    as I'm replacing National Epic with the Triumphal Arc and I am renaming a couple of other wonders, I have the chance to get rid of the Heroic Epic and add 1 to 3 new wonders (with graphical assets and civilopedia already, just no movie) now.
    I want to ask the ones who have voted "no" if they can change their mind if I disable movies for all the wonders, or use static splashes.
    As Tyr. said, there won't be user-made wonder movies (problably never ever), so this would mean "no new wonders, ever"

12. Prestidigitator

Prestidigitator Prince

But that won't be nice :sad: , why take all the original movies? just to make a homogeneous production? I don't see a great deal in that.

13. UglyBoy

I see no point in disabling the ones which are already there to make them all the same. There is an option to disable them anyway isn't there so anyone who wants that can check that box themselves.

14. kairob

kairob Biohazard

Ok I voted no, but actually think it should be a yes after all the discousion, but would profere static images to nothing.

15. McA123

McA123 Prince

I don't care if there are movies or not, but the new wonders should have a still image, probably something reminiscent of Civ 3, or something else maybe to mark them out as wonders. I'm agreeing with Kairob here.

16. NeoT

NeoT Nobody

I voted no too, but if the movies are eliminated from all wonders and maybe replaced by a static picture (that keeps a homogeneous style), i would welcome some new wonders

17. Rod

Rod King

static images (but please good quality) are fine, so i change my no to yes in this case .. principally I would also agree to NeoT idea about all static images, but imho that would be too much effort for too less additional value ,so I would not stress on that

18. UglyBoy

I don't see why the download should have to be made bigger to include static wonder movies just so that all have the same. But if we go down this route someone has already created them before so we don't have to spend time remaking them. Static Leaderheads and Movies Pack

19. Riker

Riker True Metal of Steel

I voted yes, but I think still images is the best solution. After a few games, people will always skip the movies...

20. Blasphemous

Blasphemous Graulich

It's important that production stays homogenous. There are many mods that are a patchwork of differing quality and sometimes gaping holes in production. This mod has always maintained a very level look and it should stay that way. Still images instead of movies would be fine.