[question] Does Cover I/II promotions work against city attacks?

40 posts in this thread and still no verdict ..

it works for melee units vs ranged units (archers/artilery), city attacks , fighter and bomber attacks .. (people seem to be agreeing on this one)

Does nothing for siege and ranged units { people disagree on this one - "cover 2 cannon survives bomber" but cover 2 trebochet takes same damage from city attack } ...

And a related question regarding the buggy combat preview window - AI horse units [not talking about cataphracts] seem to get strength bonuses on dense from (shock/drill) .. Display bug or worse ? Will try to produce a screen shot and start a new thread on this issue if I remeber :) .

Even worse than I suspected...

I changed all Ranged units to have a CS equal to their RCS (and Siege units to have more CS than RCS) and discovered that they STILL use their RCS in defense vs range attacks and still do not get Cover bonuses (even using William Howard's DLL)... really wish Firaxis would have coded the damned game to always use regular Combat Strength in defense regardless of attack type (otherwise what's the point of giving Ranged units a CS, just give em a defensive penalty vs melee units and have them always use RCS to defend).

Not only that, Crossbowmen also did not receive Fortification bonuses vs ranged attack (Had a Frigate bombarding units and there were two targets... a Crossbowman with Cover II - showing no bonuses in preview an effective CS of 18 - and a Crossbowman with Cover I - showing a +40% Fortification bonus in preview with an effective CS of... 18 :( - and both took the exact same damage from bombardment... as did a fresh crossbowman trying to run down the road later who possessed no Cover promotions).

The misinformation I feel I am receiving from the combat window is frustrating and I hope Firaxis takes a look at polishing this area of the game before turning to Civ 6.

The misinformation I feel I am receiving from the combat window is frustrating and I hope Firaxis takes a look at polishing this area of the game before turning to Civ 6.

Yeah, I'm really disappointed the +25% vs barbarians with Raging Barbarians active doesn't show up in Combat Preview... when I get around to fiddling more with UI, I'll see if I can address any of these issues or if they're hardcoded.

I love how many differing reports are coming back. I have no idea which response in this thread to believe. :crazyeye:

Okay so... Cover I and II on siege units doesn't help against city bombardment. That's the only instance where it doesn't work that I know of, everywhere else it does work but might not be displayed properly.

And a related question regarding the buggy combat preview window - AI horse units [not talking about cataphracts] seem to get strength bonuses on dense from (shock/drill)

This is working as intended. Mounted and Armor units benefit from their melee promotions on defense. You only get a bug if you have a horse UU with ranged promotions upgraded to a melee. The combat preview continues to list the 15%/30%/45% combat bonus but it does nothing.

Okay so... Cover I and II on siege units doesn't help against city bombardment. That's the only instance where it doesn't work that I know of, everywhere else it does work but might not be displayed properly.

From what I've read in this thread, it seems that cover and fortification on any ranged unit (including siege) does not work vs any ranged attack (including siege, city, air). This is because RCS is used as defense, and cover/fortification do not apply to RCS.

Everything else works as intended.

To fix this problem, modders, or preferably Fraxis, can make RCS never used in defense (actually weakens ranged units, but makes more intuitive sense). Or, you can make cover and fortification apply to RCS as well.

Amirite?

If all or some of the various and sometimes contradictory things being posted here are true, then perhaps some of these features should be changed, because:

1. One wonders if it makes sense that ranged units use their ranged combat strength to defend against ranged attacks (despite using their combat strength against melee attacks).

2. I see no reason that ranged units or siege units should not be able to benefit from a promotion called "Cover" (if that is indeed the case). Actually, now that I think about it, I don't see why siege units shouldn't be able to fortify and benefit from terrain bonuses too, because artillery has been fortified and entrenched throughout history.

Or at the very least, if they can't benefit from the promotion, they shouldn't even be able to access it. Does anyone remember how in vanilla CiV subs could get Bombardment?

3. It seemed pretty clear to me that the city attack is a ranged attack; dunno why anyone would say otherwise.

Top Bottom