Question for Firaxis about War Weariness

eyrei

Deity
Retired Moderator
War weariness is often an integral part of the game, especially in the industrial and modern ages. However, while players have a general idea of why it happens and to what extent, we would certainly appreciate further information regarding the particulars. Sometimes war weariness is almost nonexistent, while at other times, it is devastating and causes the collapse of otherwise effective governments. Please provide us with any insights that you see as useful.

Thanks.

to me it seems the following are all factors: how often you`ve been to war, how long the last war is past, against the same enemy AGAIN????? how happy people are, their nationality, were you the aggressor or not....

I have found through my one LONG game that aggressor is the biggest factor. Then again I'm only on Warlord, but there are 16 civs, or were ;)

I have been at war the entire game but built the sufferage wonder, and hold all others effecting happiness (J.S. Bach's Cathedral, Hanging Gardens (now expired), Oracle (expired), Shakespear's Theatre, and every other wonder except The Pyramids.

I have had no problems, and all wars were started by others.

Sometimes peacemaking causes unhappiness. I'd like to know more about that, too.
I'd also like to know the effect of the US wonder more precisely. IN my games I didn't notice any effect of this wonder. My Democracy still went mad. Maybe it was 1 year later than without.;)

Originally posted by Mapache
Sometimes peacemaking causes unhappiness. I'd like to know more about that, too.
I'd also like to know the effect of the US wonder more precisely. IN my games I didn't notice any effect of this wonder. My Democracy still went mad. Maybe it was 1 year later than without.;)

people rally to the countrys defence when attacked under democracy or republic. When you make peace before that effect has abated they`ll go back to what they were before.....

I would love to know the underlying factors for war weariness. I am playing Iroqouis on King level and just had a war with the Persians. I had to give up after 3 turns beacuse my Civ was falling apart from war weariness. This is despite having universal sufferage, JS Bach, Sistine chapel (and cathedrals everywhere) and luxuries up at 30%.

I have had Universal Sufferage in several games and it has always been useless.

Universal Suffrage plus Republic are a workable combo. Stay out of Democracy if you are planning for a war of aggression. Your government may collapse, not matter what else you have.

Originally posted by brianboru
I would love to know the underlying factors for war weariness. I am playing Iroqouis on King level and just had a war with the Persians. I had to give up after 3 turns beacuse my Civ was falling apart from war weariness. This is despite having universal sufferage, JS Bach, Sistine chapel (and cathedrals everywhere) and luxuries up at 30%.

I have had Universal Sufferage in several games and it has always been useless.

My democracy collapsed after 6 turns. When I came back, I saved th game, and made sure every city was happy, or at least not in chaos. With 120 cities, only had a few unhappy people, and only because to make more entertainers would cause starvation. maybe I should have let them starve, it collapes again on the next turn.
It also collapesed earlier, when I was Not the agressor....

Yes I was the agressor, but had every happiness generator, including US. And 7 luxuries, marketplaces and police stations. Not in every city, of couse, that costs too much to build in the 1-shield cities. And would drain my treasury.

I expected this, just wanted to test it.
Restarted and changed to Republic, and that stayed stable. Maybe I should have done Communism. Maybe I will take that saved game and still try it.

I was going for a culture win, but may not have time to doulble the China culture. I am in supreme position, and so am disbanding units as fast as I make them in major conquered cities, to built culture fast. Haveny tried this tactic before, as a push to build much culture as fast as I can... never had so many extra units before.

Top Bottom