• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Questions & Answers

Before 1900, what was significant about Italian civilization? The last civilization to spawn in RFC is America in 1730. To this point in history, there was no Italian civilization (other than Rome, which is in the game).

:lol: What language does your horse speak to you?

I strongly disagree. An italian civilization exists since at least the XIII century, although not an unitary one, but you can say the same about several other european and extra european civs in RFC.
The views the civfanatics have on "worthy" civilizations are mostly laughable, and almost always imperialistic american views which demand that a civ must have accomplished important military goals, or colonization and mass slaughtering ones, in its history to be even worth mentioning. No doubt that most americans are so fascinated by the Roman Empire. If we want to put it in really simple terms, in RFC there are at least 3 italian wonders (post Roman), a whole era originating from Italy and the italian civilization, and a bunch of inventions and Great People as well.

I'm with onedreamer. It might have not been a single empire but Italian civilization was at the forefront of Europe for many centuries after the fall of the WRE. The Italian states were the most technologically, culturally and commercially advanced in Europe which is precisely why they could not be unified by barbarian invaders like in other areas of the Empire and why Spain, France and the HRE fought proxy wars there right through the middle ages. And even if they weren't unified in one state there was as much unity as the Maya, Greeks, Inca, Germans, Russians, Chinese, Japanese, English, French or Turkish had for much of the time they are included in RFC.

Although all that said I don't think there should be an Italian civ. In most of my games Rome is a strong independent until they respawn, which is good enough I think. Sometimes Rome survives as an Italian civ after the Euro spawn, which I always take to represent an alt-history where the empire managed to cling onto its Italian holdings.

I also don't think an italian civ is needed btw ^^
But, speaking of italian civ, I think it was stronger pre 1861 than after, contrary to what's been said.

I have a question on my turky game. I've done the first two objectives, but I'm having trouble with the vassals. I asked earlier, and I was told to beef up my military and raize some cities. I defeated my closest rival, Germany, and raized two of their cities and captured 1. Also I fought their ally and raized one russian city. Now I am twice as powerful as the closest opponent. So now everyone wants a defensive pact, but no one is asking to be a vassal, nor wants to be. Even the Aztecs, who are not vassals to anyway use stupid excuses like "you can't join the war on our side" even though they are only at war with independents and natives. When all else fails, they just say that it is "out of their hands." If i've destroyed civilizations, raized cities, built a huge empire, created by far the strongest military and beaten my rivals, what more do I have to do to get others to become my vassal? I've tried going to war with them, but they sooner collapse than become my vassal in many cases. Its very frusterating.

I also don't think an italian civ is needed btw ^^
But, speaking of italian civ, I think it was stronger pre 1861 than after, contrary to what's been said.

I think any civ just grows on what it has achieved in the past. The Italian civ of 1861 was stronger than that of 1859 because it had everything pre 1861, plus the dignity of unification. The Italian civ of 1919 was bigger than that of 1914 because it had those lands populated by Italians.

Only my personal opinion of course. :)

what more do I have to do to get others to become my vassal? I've tried going to war with them, but they sooner collapse than become my vassal in many cases. Its very frusterating.

Civs may voluntarily offer to become your vassal if they are afraid of another threat, such as Khmer when the Mongols spawn, or the Incas when the conqueror event triggers by an AI civ.

Civs may capitulate when they are reduced sufficiently in size by conquest. Razing their cities isn't the best way to get a capitulation. Rather, conquer the cities quickly and then gift them back after capitulation.

"Civs may capitulate when they are reduced sufficiently in size by conquest. Razing their cities isn't the best way to get a capitulation. Rather, conquer the cities quickly and then gift them back after capitulation."

now this is annoying. Thats exactly what I was doing when I was told that it was wrong. Plus as I already said, in war they collapse before they agree to capitulate.

That's been my experience, but I don't know what the code actually says on this topic.

Also, some civs are much more reluctant to capitulate than others. Aztecs are much harder than Incas for instance.

I was once trying to get the Aztecs to capitulate and had captured their capital and reduced them to their last city (the only other that they had founded). I destroyed all but the last unit in that city, but they wouldn't capitulate. Then I tracked down an Aztec Jag warrior on the east coast of North America and killed it, and hey presto, the Aztecs were ready to capitulate.

In another game trying to get the Aztecs to capitulate, they wouldn't for ages. My stability was hurting from controlling their former capital (which had come out of disorder to my control). So I liberated their capital and about 3 turns later, opened borders with them and they voluntarily became my vassal.

Generally, a civ is more likely to capitulate if you took their capital and it has no ready troops to retake it, but in RFC this also means it's more likely to collapse.

Btw in RFC, when you're big and influencial (IE: have friends, not just enemies) enough, many civs will ask you to vassalize and protect them. Mali, Portugal, Mesoamericans and Khmer are the most common ones. Free Religion or no state religion helps of course.

Is there a way to survive from foreign conquerors in the inca 600 AD game?

Pretty much as soon as I had begun, after about 15-20 turns I got a message from England ( I had not seen England at all in my maps) that they want to conquer me and suddenly near my cities a pack of crossbowmen and catapults spawned and kinda trashed me:blush:

Is there a way around this?

I have a question. To what level do one's imports and exports have to be in order to be considered having a high level of them?

Is there a way to survive from foreign conquerors in the inca 600 AD game?

Is there a way around this?

You must be playing out of the box since you still have crossbowmen (i.e. they didn't require guilds to get to optics).

Quoting one of our great players:
The most important thing you'll build as the Aztecs, Mayans, and Incans is a workboat.

Spoiler :
Send the workboat eastmost so that the first thing any Old World civ will see is your workboat. If they don't see any land or settler of yours, the conquistidor event won't materialize.

I have a question. To what level do one's imports and exports have to be in order to be considered having a high level of them?

If I understood Civ4 well to this regard, imports and exports is the mere count of the resources you are trading.

If I understood Civ4 well to this regard, imports and exports is the mere count of the resources you are trading.

I'm aware of what imports and exports are. What I'm not aware of is the approximate number necessary to move from being penalized for a low amount of trades to gaining benefits from a high number.

I'm playing as the Germans and I've already captured (only in Europe):
France
Netherlands
Italy
Greece
Sogot + Constantinople
Russia

How much of each civ (above) do you need to capture to qualify as being captured, for example I've taken all of the Romans spawn area execept for one tile on Sardinia and Sicly? Plus I don't want to build a city in the south of Italy because I know it will affect my stability.

France
Netherlands
Italy
Greece
Sogot + Constantinople
Russia

How much of each civ (above) do you need to capture to qualify as being captured, for example I've taken all of the Romans spawn area execept for one tile on Sardinia and Sicly? Plus I don't want to build a city in the south of Italy because I know it will affect my stability.

You don't need Netherlands or Sogut, nor do you need Sardinia or Sicily as Rome's culture easily encompasses it. You still need Vikings and Britain so that's why I usually raze Sogut to give Constantinople some breathing room. It's more cities in Russia than Russia itself west of the Urals if Russia is still alive, otherwise I think it's about 5 cities there. Paris and Rome each suffice as long as you control the majority of the tiles there (I often raze and Marseilles for that reason). I usually build another city on the west coast of Greece after I raze Milan.

So you don't have to control their entire spawn area, just a majority of it, because thats why I took the Netherlands because its culture was overflowing into Paris, oh and doesen't razing city reduce stability?

France
Netherlands
Italy
Greece
Sogot + Constantinople
Russia

Strictly, you must control more cities in the given UHV areas than the native civ of that area when the specific year comes around.

If the native civ is dead, one city is enough. If the native civ is your vassal you won't win the UHV.

Check the atlas for the exact UHV areas.

Top Bottom