Questions from a newbie

Hmm, well I don't like going on the offensive militarily very often but I do like a good defensive war or two. Science victories are what I usually go for but I tend to focus on peaceful resolutions anyhow. I focus on early expansion before building up infrastructure, although I'm no stranger to reversing the order if the situation or civ calls for it. Trade money, great people and beakers are generally my favorite aspects of Civ, along with flavorful factions. To the point that the Huns appealed to me a lot in this mod despite being completely unlike what I tend towards. That help at all?

You might try Arabia, it rewards you with beakers, culture, and Great People points for getting Great People, building wonders, and winning wars just enough to extract a minor concession from your opponent. Its UB also has trade route bonuses. It's more focused on a culture win than a science one, though. If you really want to go Full Science, Korea is probably your best bet.

Let's see:

If you want to be attacked, you need to expand fast, settling where your neighbours would have liked to settle.

Carthage has a really good start (extra money, free lighthouses) and bonuses to Trade Routes, so it favors a Tradition (Great People) approach. The quinquerreme is good to find new coastal spots for cities and to attack any city that may be in the way. You might expand enough to annoy some civs, but you'll have the money to counter.

Arabia also has a snowballing UA for GP (every GP born is a Historic Event, and Events give +20% towards another GP, so you get roughly 1 more every 5 GP). But you won't get an amazing start.

Polynesians can pass over ocean, so you can settle really far, has incentive for settling near natural wonders which usually are contested and its unique improvement helps with defense. Just leave some inland cities between the coastal ones so you can place as much moais as possible.

Shoshone has extra lands when settling, its unique explorer gets what you like most from goody huts, so you have a solid start. And it's the best at defense, you get a bonus for fighting in owned lands and the unique improvement provides defense and damages whichever enemy unit that stands near it.

Indonesians get extra luxuries in every new city and don't suffer isolation, so you can expand fairly fast, and trade those luxuries. Your unique building is a garden, so it goes well for GP too.

If you prefer trading with AI, take a look at Netherlands and Portugal. If you wish a mostly scientific game, Babylon and Korea.

Those are the focused civs, but take in mind that religious and diplomatic civs may pursue any victory condition, just by choosing beliefs and resolutions. Cultural civs have the upper hand choosing wonders. Even the warmongers can achieve anything, they just need to steal it from its neighbours.

You might try Arabia, it rewards you with beakers, culture, and Great People points for getting Great People, building wonders, and winning wars just enough to extract a minor concession from your opponent. Its UB also has trade route bonuses. It's more focused on a culture win than a science one, though. If you really want to go Full Science, Korea is probably your best bet.

Arabia and Korea were some of my favorite Civ IV factions, I'll definitely give them a whirl since it's been so long, even if I haven't read as much about their history as I've grown up. :D

Let's see:

If you want to be attacked, you need to expand fast, settling where your neighbours would have liked to settle.

Carthage has a really good start (extra money, free lighthouses) and bonuses to Trade Routes, so it favors a Tradition (Great People) approach. The quinquerreme is good to find new coastal spots for cities and to attack any city that may be in the way. You might expand enough to annoy some civs, but you'll have the money to counter.

Arabia also has a snowballing UA for GP (every GP born is a Historic Event, and Events give +20% towards another GP, so you get roughly 1 more every 5 GP). But you won't get an amazing start.

Polynesians can pass over ocean, so you can settle really far, has incentive for settling near natural wonders which usually are contested and its unique improvement helps with defense. Just leave some inland cities between the coastal ones so you can place as much moais as possible.

Shoshone has extra lands when settling, its unique explorer gets what you like most from goody huts, so you have a solid start. And it's the best at defense, you get a bonus for fighting in owned lands and the unique improvement provides defense and damages whichever enemy unit that stands near it.

Indonesians get extra luxuries in every new city and don't suffer isolation, so you can expand fairly fast, and trade those luxuries. Your unique building is a garden, so it goes well for GP too.

If you prefer trading with AI, take a look at Netherlands and Portugal. If you wish a mostly scientific game, Babylon and Korea.

Those are the focused civs, but take in mind that religious and diplomatic civs may pursue any victory condition, just by choosing beliefs and resolutions. Cultural civs have the upper hand choosing wonders. Even the warmongers can achieve anything, they just need to steal it from its neighbours.

Some very well-thought out suggestions, I'll know what civs to actually consider playing for a while yet having a condensed idea of who I should look to play. Thank you!

Top Bottom