1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Turner, Aug 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pol1

pol1 kayaking physicist

You and trade partner need harbour and visible sea route + astronomy for sea squares [navigation for oceans]

2. Tone

Tone Deity Hall of Fame Staff

On the lowest levels, don't hold your breath waiting for them to build a harbour. ;)

3. bloh

bloh Chieftain

Great, thanks for help.

4. Turner

Turner Deity Retired Moderator

Also, that town with a harbor needs to be connected to the capital somehow. Most common method is a road. Obviously, a capital with a harbor works too.

5. RickFGS

RickFGS Deity

Spamming to get my 400th post he he he.

What is this all about.....ah yes harbors and trade routes...try playing Carthage on the Rise of Rome C3C scenario, you´ll get a nice lesson from naval school ;)

6. Keraunos

Keraunos Chieftain

1) What about sea routes in Rhye's mod? They don't seem to work at all :(
    2) Bombard value with 0 range? How does it work?

Thanks in advance ;)

7. Turner

Ask in his thread.
    That's defensive bombardment. Which basically means that the unit will only bombard when it's part of a stack. So if you're playing C3C, archers have a defensive bombardment. When they're in a stack (and not the lead defender), there's a chance they'll bombard the attacking unit, like an artillery will do when it's in a stack.

8. Keraunos

Keraunos Chieftain

1) I've figured out already. In case if someone is interested, that's part of the game that is hardcoded or he forgot to change it. It doesn't work becouse proper discoveries aren't used at all due to completely new tech tree..

2) Thanks :)

9. unpotable

unpotable Chieftain

Thought I saw somewhere that the game ended in 2050.
    Is that correct?
    Thanks.

10. Bartleby

Bartleby Remembers laughter

You can change that at the start if you want. The default "end of the game" is 2050 AD and someone will be declared the winner if no other victory has been triggered. However, you can continue playing, so far as I know, forever.

11. unpotable

unpotable Chieftain

OK, so I can continue to play beyond 2050? I'm at 1900 right now and am nowhere near winning.

12. watorrey

watorrey Deity

You are given the option to continue playing or not after a winner is declared. However, strange bugs have been reported in games that are continued past 2050.

13. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

This may really be a dumb question, but in my current game what shows in the unit list is not the same as what is in the cities. The two pictures below show the list with no modern infantry but there it is in the only city they have left. It has happened constantly in the game. Is this normal, maybe, once you go to war it only shows what you destroy not what they add?

http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=138023&stc=1&d=1158023024

http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=138024&stc=1&d=1158023024

Attached Files:

14. Turner

I want to say you only know what units they have if you have an embassy. If you don't have an embassy, then the units that you see only show up in that list. Is this the first turn you've seen that MI?

I'm also thinking when you're at war with a civ you need a spy to see what units they have. I could be wrong, tho.

15. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

I had an embassy before the war. I guess it does not work after you go to war. But I still got messages about things they were building, so I really don't know. I also had a spy and I never got a message about him or her getting caught.

I saw the MI before, in fact I notice the difference in what I was fighting and what was showing several turns prior to taking the screen shots. I first thought maybe it was because they were not in cities, but the MI (3 in fact) were in the city.

Maybe if I go over the game before the war and several turns into I may figure it out.

16. unpotable

unpotable Chieftain

Seriously! I see the option for both a fortress and a coastal fortress. What do they do?

17. Turner

Fortresses double your base defense, I think it is. Maybe adds 50%. Been a while since I've used it. But it's a worker action, and it the right spot it can help out greatly. Say, in a chokepoint you really want to hold, or on a mountain resource that you can't get a city near and need a colony.

Coastal fortresses are useless. They bombard a ship if it stops right next to your city. Don't waste your time with them.

18. thetrooper

thetrooper Schweinhund

Could someone point me to that 'numberofturnsinanarchy-formula'?

thx :)

19. Turner

20. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

I went back several turns checking cities as to what showed in the list of military hardware and what the actual cities had.

On several turns the list and an investigation of the cities (they were down to very few) there was a difference between the list and the compliation of all the citties.

Really weird.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.