Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have noticed that there was never a war between different AI's (except one time but that was only once) in my games. And it would be fun to watch some AI's start waging war on each other. Why arn't they declaring war on each other? The only wars are started by me :mischief:. Why do they hardly ever declare war on each other? Is it because i'm playing chieftain?

Yes, most probably. On the higher difficulty levels you see more inter-AI wars. ;)

EDIT: Wrong thread for the rest of what I posted, whoops. :)

I have noticed that there was never a war between different AI's (except one time but that was only once) in my games. And it would be fun to watch some AI's start waging war on each other. Why arn't they declaring war on each other? The only wars are started by me :mischief:. Why do they hardly ever declare war on each other? Is it because i'm playing chieftain?
Playing on chieftain won't help I don't think, the AIs tend to be rather passive. Try playing a game on a small map with a high number of opposing civs. And really, go up to Warlord. :) You'll never get better until you get better opponents.

EDIT - X post with Lord Parkin.

The AI becomes more aggressive when they run out of land to settle, if they run out of land to settle before they reach their optimal city number, they will turn extra aggressive.

In chieftain, the AI develops so slowly, they will only run out of land to settle very late in the game.

I've done that, created an entire world war without actually being involved... it's fun to watch!
I have two questions: how likely is it to make a "fixed alliance," and how can I make it happen?
And how can I get more experience with espianage? I can't seem to even PLANT spies in the countries where it would really matter!

Why would their having democracy matter? All I know is that democracies are immune to propaganda.

Why would their having democracy matter? All I know is that democracies are immune to propaganda.
That's correct. You can plant spies in democratic nations, no problem.

Ok thanks for all the answers:goodjob:. So to have lot's of AI wars i will go up a level and try a little smaller map instead of a huge map all the time:D. Well that was all my 'Newbie' Questions:).

Ok thanks for all the answers:goodjob:. So to have lot's of AI wars i will go up a level and try a little smaller map instead of a huge map all the time:D. Well that was all my 'Newbie' Questions:).

Inter-AI wars happen more frequently if you can find ways to make them break deals. Military Alliancs are perfect for this, because no tonly wil lyou et the AI at war, but you have a chance of trashing his rep and making the other IA's more likely t oattack him, trash their reps, and suddenly you've triggered worldwide war. :D

I've done that, created an entire world war without actually being involved... it's fun to watch!
I have two questions: how likely is it to make a "fixed alliance," and how can I make it happen?
And how can I get more experience with espianage? I can't seem to even PLANT spies in the countries where it would really matter!
For your first question - fixed alliances can only be set up in the editor, as part of a scenario, the second question has already been answered.

Inter-AI wars happen more frequently if you can find ways to make them break deals. Military Alliancs are perfect for this.

While military Alliances are a good way to start worlwide war. It may drag you into the war. I usually always want to fight and conquer the world one by one, but i don't want to fight against the whole world at once. If they ganged up on me my civ would be a dead civ :( . And that's what can happen if you sing MA's. As long as the whole world isn't fighting against me i'm happy to sing an MA ;).

While military Alliances are a good way to start worlwide war. It may drag you into the war. I usually always want to fight and conquer the world one by one, but i don't want to fight against the whole world at once. If they ganged up on me my civ would be a dead civ :( . And that's what can happen if you sing MA's. As long as the whole world isn't fighting against me i'm happy to sing an MA ;).
Pick and choose your allies carefully then. Choose friends whose lands are naturally between yours and another civ's, and get those two to fight. You'll be relatively safe since very few (if any) attackers will spend the time to trek through hostile land to get to you. ;)

Pick and choose your allies carefully then. Choose friends whose lands are naturally between yours and another civ's, and get those two to fight. You'll be relatively safe since very few (if any) attackers will spend the time to trek through hostile land to get to you. ;)

True, But if the sea goes right around the whole continent they could just go around the sea to get to you. But allies that are next to you will keep you safer from hostile attacks ;).

Danaldos said:
Hey, I usually just play the game as it comes in the box and try to kill; I've never really used mods or any of that other neat stuff. I know on the main menu for my game it says "Load Scenario" but I don't know how to use the editor. Is it some extra thing that I can't access from the main menu?

PS: Why does it say chieftan next to my avatar, it's insulting?

Chieftian is the default name until you have met the requirements to move up or change to a personal name. I think you have to be on the forum for 30 days to change and I forget the number of post to graduate. It is in the FAQ, iirc.

The editor should be in the Program menu list of things under Atari name. If not you can go to your directory and double click it. It is named something like Civ3Conquesteditor.exe.

Danaldos I could not reply to your msg, because you have disallowed private msgs.

A Military Alliance cannot drag you into a war. If you sign one, you go to war immediately. A Mutual Protection Pact is what drags you into a war against your will, and they don't come until later in the game. Never sign an MPP unless you are sure you can handle any consequences.

But I will *always* request MAs with other AIs if I get attacked. Better for me to gang up on my opponent, then for them to gang up on me. ;)

I love your new avatar, Padma! It looks great the way the background color patches line up with the ones for your moderator buttons. :goodjob:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom