1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Turner, Aug 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gmaharriet

gmaharriet Ancient Crone

I get the option to build the Iron Works often enough, but it's almost always 100 or so tiles from my core in a totally corrupt area. :(

2. EMan

EMan HOFer: Milk-Cow? Supporter

Might be a good place to build a Forbidden Palace using Civil Engineers? ;)

3. TheOverseer714

TheOverseer714 Overseer

I haven't built an Iron Works in ages, I rarely have Iron and Coal in one city. Of course I don't edit my starts, I prefer a map I haven't seen.

4. gmaharriet

gmaharriet Ancient Crone

Interesting idea, but by the time I can see coal on the map, the FP has been in existance for centuries already. :D

5. Ansar

Ansar Détente avec l'été

So that's why the Manufacturing Plant comes so late in the game...

I'll make sure to build it next time (even though it causes pollution :()

6. Leowind

Leowind Emperor

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the Iron Works and how does one get it? I see the clue above about having iron and coal in the same city. Is it a small wonder? I don't see a reference to it in my C3C manual index.

Leowind

7. Jonny.utsa

Jonny.utsa Chieftain

I have vanilla 1.29f, (game of the year edition) downloaded (no cd), I keep seeing the need for spies, Ive read the book and the online help, but I dont see where or how to plant spies. I have embassies in every capital, Im at peace with everyone, and I have the espionage agency. thanks!

8. TheOverseer714

TheOverseer714 Overseer

It is indeed a small wonder. It will show up if you have iron and coal within the boundaries of a city and is available only in that city. It will double the cities shield output, and is useful mostly in a low corruption area. It may even be worth moving your FP there if you haven't built it yet. I wouldn't abandon an existing FP for it though.

9. firepeoplebb

firepeoplebb Chieftain

Okay, some people have been talking about a "civ assist". I was just wondering what that is and how could I get it.

10. TheOverseer714

TheOverseer714 Overseer

Hi fire:) CivAssist 2 is a utility program, specifically designed to help you manage your empire. It'a free download, a little less than 1 megabyte, and the link can be be found in the utilities section of the mods and customization forum on this website. There are several other helper programs available there too, and I think they are all generally free. I use it all the time on my other computer, but this one can't run it well:(

11. EMan

EMan HOFer: Milk-Cow? Supporter

CivAssist II.........Excellent program to run while playing Civ 3:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=118540 :goodjob: :goodjob:

12. Aceman101

Aceman101 Emperor

I suppose not every game you get to the modern ages. So, yeah, it's rarer to have Iron Works + Nuclear Plant. 200 production, wow, MA every turn!

Well, I admit I keep my FP for centuries to find that perfect spot. So I build it on the city with the Iron Works (If I have one). But for you, A Courthouse + Police station is pretty much all you can do about the corruption.

Watch out for that Jungle and mountain tile.

Ah, pollution pollution. IMO it is one of the most easiest problem to get rid of. By the time pollution comes I usually have stacks and stacks of workers, waiting for the pollution!

If you downloaded the full version then this is a big. :nono:
    However, downloading the demo is fine.

To get spies you must:

1) Research Espionage
    2) Build the Intelligence Agency.
    3) Have an embassy with the target civ.
    4) When you build an intelligence agency, you will notice that a star appears in the city you build it in. Click on it.
    5) Click on the target civ.
    7) Click plant spy.
    8) If it fails do the same thing NEXT TURN. Not the same turn otherwise it won't work. Also note that if you get caught, the civ you tried to plant the spy on could declare war on you.

13. Tone

Tone Deity Hall of Fame Staff

@ Aceman,the little E symbol cannot be used for planting spies in 1.29f. (The vanilla interface is less helpful than the other versions unfortunately.) It will allow you to conduct espionage missions but before you have a spy it will use the embassy to investigate cities or steal techs.

To plant a spy in 1.29f, you need to right-click on the city that has the IA and then select 'Conduct Espionage'. You will then get the option to plant a spy with each rival. Then use the little E symbol to conduct espoinage missions.

Edit: you edited your post before I finished mine, Aceman! :lol:

14. Aceman101

Aceman101 Emperor

Aren't those fortune-telling power's great? :lol:

j/k. I realized he said vanilla right after I posted. ;)

15. Jonny.utsa

Jonny.utsa Chieftain

I dont understand why youre saying its bad.... I baught and downloaded a no-cd version from gamespy (http://www.direct2drive.com/) It is called Civ 3 Game of the Year Edition that is v1.29f. Maybe you thought I downloaded a pirated version....

So I need to go to my city with the IA. THIS is what I didnt know! The game book doesnt say that. Ill give it a try, Thanks!

16. Own

Own Grasshoppah

Can factories, coal plants, and or iron works be built during mobilization? They aren't militaristic, but I feel like I've seen them be built during mob. before. Can someone clarify?

17. Jonny.utsa

Jonny.utsa Chieftain

When there is nothing left to build, the cities begin producing explorers. Even if I change to wealth, many cities will spontaneously change back to explorers and make dozens of them. Is there a way to stop my cities from doing this?

You all are a lot of help -thanks!

18. Jokeslayer

Jokeslayer Dedicated

Sounds like you might have the governors interfering. Check what settings you have for them. For the least interference set everything to No or Never except Emphasise Production (you can change all the cities at the same time)

19. Aceman101

Aceman101 Emperor

Sorry, I didn't know you bought it. I thought you downloaded a pirated version, which is technically illegal.

Exactly.

The game book doesn't say many things, and it has lots of misinformation too. Well, hope it works. :)

EDIT: Remember to click on the star in the city with the IA.

20. Aceman101

Aceman101 Emperor

I just tested this and the answer is no. Only harbours, barracks, airpots and other military related structures can be built.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.