1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Turner, Aug 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TruePurple

TruePurple Civ wanna B

So whats the purpose of precision then? Like if you want to take back one of your own towns or something? But then if it still destroys improvements.. So whats the point?

In multiplayer games where you don't get a popup asking what you want to research next, is there any way to pick what tech you get from science type nations free tech at new age?

2. psweetman1590

psweetman1590 Emperor

As far as I know, you can't choose in SP either, so no.

If you're bombing for the sole pupose of reducing an enemy's production capacity (ie, not trying to take the city). This will destroy factories, granaries and what-have-you, which can make the productivity of the city plummet.

Of course, I almost never use it, even in games that get that far. It's just easier to bomb the terrain around the city instead. Plus, 99% of my games don't get that far in the first place. :p

3. Aabraxan

Aabraxan Mid-level Micromanager

You can't choose it, but in SP, I believe that you can change the odds of getting a particular tech. (If I'm wrong, someone correct me, please.) When the popup comes, hit The Big Picture. Then select a research project that you do not want to get as your freebie. I do not think that you can get the tech that you're now researching as your freebie. So if you want Feudalism, go pick Mono or Engineering. At the point where you get the popup, it doesn't look like you're freebie's been chosen, so you have a chance to change your odds from 33 1/3% to 50%.

4. MAS

MAS Deity

@Aabraxan, my memory may be faulty, but I vaguely remember getting the tech I've chosen to research.

This rule that you can't get the tech you are researching comes from the goody hut tech. I do know that for sure.

5. TruePurple

TruePurple Civ wanna B

Been my experience too mas, for science new age free techs and first to research free techs (also GW free tech I imagine) But not getting tech your researching with goody huts (I guess so that you dont get a roll of a tech your 1 turn away from getting anyways)

6. TruePurple

TruePurple Civ wanna B

In multiplayer I have this frusterating thing where I can't seem to tell a unit to move and attack at the same time. I have to move the unit, then the game switches to the next unit, and I have to quickly move the map back and reactivate the unit in order to do the attack before that unit gets attacked. Any way to disable that?

Likewise with workers, I move a worker to a square to work it, but the focus moves onto the next unit before I can choose a worker action.

7. Aabraxan

As always, I may be wrong, but I ran some tests using the Babs about 3 months ago on this. Perhaps I simply didn't run enough tests, but I consistently got something other than what I'd chosen to research next. If I immediately went to the Big Picture when I got the age-changing tech, nothing was marked as having been learned.

8. Tone

Tone Deity Hall of Fame Staff

@Aabraxan: I can confirm that you can get the tech you've selected as your freebie. This has happened numerous times to me. Indeed, I used the subsequent option to go back to the big picture in order to convert loads of tank builds to research labs earlier today.

9. Aabraxan

Well, drat. Clearly, I'll need to run more tests. As always, thanks for the corrections.

10. Onipsi

Onipsi Chieftain

About rep hits when dealing with a conquered town...

If instead of razing a town I quell its resistors and then abandon it, will I still take a rep hit?

If I set it to make workers out of the foreign citizens, will they be foreign workers? It's quite logical if they do, but I believe that wouldn't happen with settlers (foreign settlers wouldn't exist I guess), so...

If I raze a town from a civilization that's currently unknown to the others (but I know the others), will I take a rep hit from them?

Thanks in advance.

11. Tone

You don't take a rep hit under any of the conditions that you list. Your rep is a determined by whether you honour trades that you've set up.

You will take an attitude hit if you raze a town that has at least (or is it more than?) 50% foreign nationals, so queling resistance first will not affect this. Also note that if there is any draft/whip unhappiness in these cities that you capture and then abandon, the unhappiness will be transfered to one of you other cities so if you are going to raze them, you may as well do it straight away.

If you build workers from a town with foreign nationals they will be slaves.

My understanding is that if there is no contact (or chain of contacts) between two civs, the you do not suffer any penalties with the second civ. i.e. if you raze a whole stack of cities on one island and wipe out that civ before they can make contact with anyone else, then you're safe. Even if you know of other civs already. Perhaps someone can verify this last point though as in my games I either tend to take no chances and keep everything or not care and raze at will.

12. gmaharriet

gmaharriet Ancient Crone

Oh, yes they do. If you build a settler from a captured town which still has many foreign citizens, you will get a foreign settler. He will look just like yours (same color), but his name will be something like "settler(babylon)" and any towns he builds will be mostly unhappy so long as you are at war with the "mother country."

13. Onipsi

Onipsi Chieftain

Oh really? Well, yeah, that makes sense. I don't know why, but was thinking that if such a settler existed, he would build a foreign town (not mine, I mean). :lol: :crazyeye: Thanks.

Tone, thanks! I keep mistaking reputation and attitude hits. I don't mind the attitude.

14. The Thracian

The Thracian Warlord

I can't get the perfect balance of anything. My cities have civil disorder too much and to resolve it they never grow whilst I see the AI Cities at like 10 and 12 and I'm like ''woah''. I try to increase happiness which will bring down my income and also means I have to decrease science to stay out of negeative income which means I fall behind. Whenever I try to raise an army for a war (mixed units) My income goes down loads and I just end up taking one city at the max cause war fighting in Civ 3 I consider now Impossible. I've never, ever! had a good war, taking cities is downright stupid you have no chance

15. psweetman1590

psweetman1590 Emperor

Sounds like you could use more help than a simple question/answer could provide. I'd suggest you start a dynasty game with someone. This is a game where one person plays a certain number of turns (usually 20 or thereabouts) and then posts a save so the next player can play their turns, who then passes it on again. It's supposed to be an excellent way to improve, as it can show you strategies that you may not have thought of, and it's easier to illustrate the finer points of the game when it's happening first-hand.

16. Leowind

Leowind Emperor

Will precision attacks still bomb units in the city? Is there any way to ONLY bomb the units in a city and not the improvements?

Your second assumption seems to be false, as my reason for asking the question is that both buttons came up for my stealth aircraft (fighters, anyway-don't recall for sure about bombers) but I did not see that there was any difference in what they did in-game. Can anyone confirm what, if any, difference there is between precision strikes and precision bombing?

17. splunge the 2nd

splunge the 2nd King

Is there a way to cancel a several turn move order. In my game I'm sending galleys with settlers to distant sites to set up towns and send ground forces to put down barbarians and by the time they arrive, the situation has changed. Can I interrupt/cancel their move orders?

Thanks!

18. Tone

I right-click on the units to wake them at the end of a turn. All units must be done individually though.

19. splunge the 2nd

splunge the 2nd King

Does that stop prior move orders? I try to direct them elsewhere, but I get "this unit has already moved"

Thanks!

20. Leowind

Leowind Emperor

Simply left-clicking works too. You get the "this unit has already moved" message, but it cancels the move orders.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.