Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps you could elaborate a little more on what exactly happened?

well when im at war every turn i lose a half dozen or so terrain improvements to enemy bombardments when the terrain is out of artillery/bomber range from the nearest enemy civ

Maybe this is what you are seeing. If you set to auto bombard a tile and it has either no units or only redlined units, the improvements will then be hit. This will happen with manyual targeting, but you will soon stop doing that.

Maybe the mod has changed the range of artillery to 10 or something. If you give me the map size (in tiles) and the area it encompasses in real life as well as the time period and level of advancement, I may be able to help. If it's something like: "WWI, the Battle for France," then the stats would be high, whereas if it were: "Genghis Khan, the Legacy of a Conqueror," then the stats would probably be lower.

A screenie would not be out of order. Have you considered aircraft carriers? What unit is bombing you?

There was a bug about bombardment as I recall. I think it allowed you to shot a distance that you should not be able to hit, but I never had it happen as you would need to target tiles out of range.

Are you patched to the last patch?

I'm not sure where to post this question, but it relates to micromanaging. I have a hard time mm-ing, just get caught up in the game and want to go to the next turn. Also lack patience to compare plans for the vital opening moves. So today I started a random game and wrote out the first 21 moves, planning the builds, the worker moves and writing down how many F, S, and T I would get each turn. Trying to adjust correctly for the worker's finishing a project and the city growing to another citizen. Then I played those 21 moves to see if I was right about the number of resourses produced each turn. Actually I figured it pretty well until turn 21. On turn 20 I was poised for the grand climax. I had two food coming in to grow to size 3. I had 4 shields coming in and I needed 6 to finish my first settler. But the worker was going to finish a mine to give me a fifth and I expected the new citizen to be put on a forest giving me 7. I had opened the manager previously and directed him to emphasize production (shields). But when I opened the city on turn 21 I beheld one of the ugliest sights in the game: a 29 shield settler build. The new citizen had been placed on an unimproved river grassland! I have never seen that. Most of the time when I have operated a settler factory it depended on a new citizen hopping onto a forest and it has always worked. Does anyone know what went wrong here? http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/93635/Xerxes_of_the_Persians_3000_BC.SAV

I'm not sure where to post this question, but it relates to micromanaging. I have a hard time mm-ing, just get caught up in the game and want to go to the next turn. Also lack patience to compare plans for the vital opening moves. So today I started a random game and wrote out the first 21 moves, planning the builds, the worker moves and writing down how many F, S, and T I would get each turn. Trying to adjust correctly for the worker's finishing a project and the city growing to another citizen. Then I played those 21 moves to see if I was right about the number of resourses produced each turn. Actually I figured it pretty well until turn 21. On turn 20 I was poised for the grand climax. I had two food coming in to grow to size 3. I had 4 shields coming in and I needed 6 to finish my first settler. But the worker was going to finish a mine to give me a fifth and I expected the new citizen to be put on a forest giving me 7. I had opened the manager previously and directed him to emphasize production (shields). But when I opened the city on turn 21 I beheld one of the ugliest sights in the game: a 29 shield settler build. The new citizen had been placed on an unimproved river grassland! I have never seen that. Most of the time when I have operated a settler factory it depended on a new citizen hopping onto a forest and it has always worked. Does anyone know what went wrong here? http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/93635/Xerxes_of_the_Persians_3000_BC.SAV

Yeah, I know what's going on:

To make the governor work a forest tile upon growth (instead of 2-food tile,) you have to have more than 2 surplus food per turn. The only time the governor will select a 1-food tile instead of a 2-food tile upon growth is if it is size five and grows to size six without an aqueduct, or size 11 to 12 without a hospital.

To make the governor work a forest tile upon growth (instead of 2-food tile,) you have to have more than 2 surplus food per turn. The only time the governor will select a 1-food tile instead of a 2-food tile upon growth is if it is size five and grows to size six without an aqueduct, or size 11 to 12 without a hospital.

Wow. I never knew that. Thanks.:goodjob:

@sercer88: That's good to know.

@fstrick604: Tip - click on the City Center Tile in the City Screen. If the citizens are realigned to work the forest tile, then you will probably be working the forest tile when the city increases in size. ;)

Thanks sercer. That sounds right.

Thanks Domimatrix. I've been playing for years but never had the patience to plan to that extent before. I get the impression that the top players plot out several opening sequences to figure out the best one before they really get into the game.

I play Hall Of Fame (HOF) competition only and use MapFinder to get my start positions.........usually with 2 grassland cows and fresh water, minimum.

I need to see from the start position that I can build at least 1 Settler Factory and preferably 2SF's, or 1SF + 1 Worker Factory (under Despotism).

If you're gonna spend all that time on micromanagement, you might as well have a good start position! (And a High Domination Limit, if you're going for a High Score.) :)

In the early part (4 or 5 towns) or in an SG. After that you have too much to do and not enough of a gain.

If you're simply playing to win the game from a random starting position......then there are other considerations for the "pros".

IMO, a "pro" can win just about any starting position on levels 1-5. Above that, the biggest concern is what the AI's are up to with regard to you. Your own survival becomes perhaps the most important factor in the early game.

I think you only "need" to micromanage in competitive situations. (Viz. against humans)............unless the AI is banging on your City doors! ;)

in the Creation and Customization/Utilities sub-forum.....look for Moonsinger's MapFinder for HOF or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom