1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Turner, Aug 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. againsttheflow

againsttheflow unpolitically uncorrect

What is "IBT" in this case? About this thread: the first two words in the title say it best. Lots of non-newbs ask here. :)

2. SelectVisibilty

SelectVisibilty Chieftain

I've looked and can't find this anywhere...

I've built the Great Library but I can't figure out what I have to do to get the free techs (there are two other civs with more techs than me, but how do I get them?)

Thanks!

3. TheOverseer714

TheOverseer714 Overseer

In Between Turns, basically the time when the AI's get to play, and your cities complete everything.

4. EMan

EMan HOFer: Milk-Cow?

@SelectVisibilty: Welcome to CFC. :beer: :band: [party] :cheers:

Nothing......Wait till the end of turn!

However, if you've already researched Education, you're plum out of luck as the GLib has expired. :)

5. Marsden

Marsden Keeper of the HoF Annex Hall of Fame Staff

The techs from the Great Library arrive next turn after it's built, that really threw me the first time I built it, too. I can't remember anymore, but I thought they popped right on as soon as it was done in Civ2. So basically, if you build it you have to keep it until next turn, if you capture it from someone and they take it back you don't get the techs.

The Big Picture.

Discover the last tech of the age, the "we've reached a new age" screen pops up before you get the tech discovery notification.

Select big picture, go to foreign advisor and trade around with each AI as much as you want.
    Usually you would only do this with scientific opponents so they get their free techs with their age changes then trade for all of their free techs.

Note that even thought you haven't been "informed" of discovering the last tech it is listed as discovered and tradeable.

After doing all your trading, then close the window and you'll get the what should we research pop up, your scientific free tech will already be listed and you can choose a new one to research.

6. SelectVisibilty

SelectVisibilty Chieftain

Fantastic, thanks!

7. Aabraxan

Aabraxan Mid-level Micromanager

Just out of curiosity: If someone builds the Manhattan Project and I then burn down the city, can nukes still be built?

8. watorrey

watorrey Deity

Yes, nukes can still be built.

9. TheOverseer714

TheOverseer714 Overseer

The only way to stop nukes being made is to remove your enemies access to uranium. Once they get the tech (Spaceflight) and Manhattan Project is built, they can build tactical nukes.

10. CEO Daedalus

CEO Daedalus Gibsoneer

well luck with that, since it is all over the world ;)

11. vmxa

vmxa Deity

Well if most of the civs do not have the tech to discover Uranium, they cannot trade it. So you only have to cut off access to any Uranium that the civs that have the tech to build ICBM's have.

This is often not too hard as it is likely to be only 1 or 2 sources. Nuke those tiles and it will be quite some time, before they are able to get it up again. I maybe nuke the tile again, once they sent a bunch of workers to it.

By the time you have ICBM's, you should have eliminate many of the other civs anyway.

You are correct that it may prove to be too many sources to deal with.

12. CEO Daedalus

CEO Daedalus Gibsoneer

well then again, to make things easier, cut off Uranium OR Aluminum, either one. :nuke: :lol: :nuke:

13. RulerOfDaPeople

RulerOfDaPeople Emperor

What's the best way to use modern paratroopers?

Can they attack from air like a marine can sea?

14. swift_like_wind

swift_like_wind Warlord

No offense, but have you even used them yet before asking!!?? :lol:

More seriously, they are basically infantry that can be dropped onto any land square in their operational range from any city with an airport or any airfield built by a worker. They are used for surprise attacks, to quickly take important squares from enemies (ie resources) and pillage it so the enemy can't use them. Another use is to send a group of them to pinch points quickly to prevent enemy advance.

A full guide on paratroopers in in the War Academy and is written by scoutsout called "Death from Above: C3C Airborne Operations"
    LINK HERE: http://www.civfanatics.com/civ3/strategy/airborne_operations.php

15. RulerOfDaPeople

RulerOfDaPeople Emperor

Yeah I did use them but not much. I just now started bulding them for the first time (I tested 2 of them out and that's it) but really had no clue how to make them helpful strategically. At first I thought they were like real Airbourne squads like the 51st Airborne and could attack when dropped (like the marines can from a boat). That would have been really helpful to me.

They come way too late in the game and I play on huge maps so it takes forever and then some to get to them. Thanks for the link. :)

16. CEO Daedalus

CEO Daedalus Gibsoneer

My opinion, I wouldn't recommend using them, because in my opinion, when they become available, you'll realize that they are underpowered, and easily taken out by tanks.

Mainly, what swift like wind just said is correct, but I, personally don't use them unless they were modded.

17. againsttheflow

againsttheflow unpolitically uncorrect

Remember, it's not like the game won't let you drop them on an enemy occupied square. They are just automaitcally POWed if you do.

18. vmxa

vmxa Deity

they require an optional tech and there is no good reason to research them.

19. swift_like_wind

swift_like_wind Warlord

I also only use them in mods. I created my own mod where modern paratroopers actually stand a chance against modern armor.

20. Tchula

Tchula Chieftain

I downloaded the latest patch and now enemy civs seem to have an artillery range of like 10 spaces. how do i fix this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.