1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Turner, Aug 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EMan

EMan HOFer: Milk-Cow?

You can read about & download MapFinder here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75992

It's written primarily by Moonsinger (major assist by Dianthus). If you want to know the name of a top "pro", Moonsinger's name is right up there around the top of The List! (She also has 2 of the highest 3 scores in the HOF.)

Unfortunately (for Civ 3ers), she's retired from Civ 3 HOF and is now kicking ass in the Civ 4 HOF! :)

2. bambam190

bambam190 Chieftain

Oooh Brave New World!

Thanks for the help.

I played with it a little, it appears you just start it up, and wait until you see a map you like then turn it off and restart the game with that save...correct?

any more tips with it?

3. Abegweit

Abegweit Anarchist trader

This is simply not true. The governor will select a two-food tile over a one-food if the two-food tile is good enough.

For example, a roaded river BG will be chosen over a forest. Apparently two commerce + one food is considered better than a single shield. Put a road on the forest and it will be chosen.

4. denyd

denyd Emperor

It's much more than that. You can set parameters (>2 cows on a river) and how many maps you want it to find (100) and given enough time, you'll get 100 games all with the same starting parameters (map size, difficulty level, AI tribes, etc) with at least 2 cows and a river at the starting point. You then review what's been saved and decide which one to play.

5. EMan

Yes, you don't have to watch MapFinder run.........I prefer for it to work when I'm sleeping........or you can run it 24/7 if you are reeeeeeeeal picky about the kind of map you want. (Viz. Many/rare conditional tests.) ;)

6. bambam190

bambam190 Chieftain

cool, I didn't find any saves in my folder, but I only let it run for a minute and played around with the settler as it was flashing through maps that might have messed it up.

I give it a whirl tonight.

I may even set it up on one of my unused lab computers to just make maps to get transfered as needed.

...the possibilities are endless...

7. sercer88

sercer88 Emperor

Isn't that what I said? Well, I said the governor will always choose a two food tile ahead of a one food tile. Anyway, the governor always chooses the "best" tile to work (according to the way the computer sees it, which is not always the best as we humans know.)

Not in this instance, at size 2 and only 2 sfpt, the governor WILL choose the 2 food over the 1 food tile.

8. Abegweit

Abegweit Anarchist trader

@sercer88

What you said is this:
    This is wrong. It might choose a one-food tile over a two-food one in this case but won't always. If there is a 2-food alternate tile which the governor considers good enough, it will be selected over the forest. You therefore have to consider how the governor will react to other possible choices. I have never seen it turn down a roaded forest but it will sometimes reject a bare forest.

Since we are quibbling about meanings, I might add that your first and second sentences directly contradict each other.
    Surely you meant "the only other... If this was the only error I wouldn't have commented, since everyone understood what you meant to say.

9. sercer88

sercer88 Emperor

well, I guess you've just had more experience then me, because I just haven't experienced it any other way...

10. D0NIMATRIX

D0NIMATRIX Full of drivel

So what's the final verdict sercer88 and Abegweit?

11. sercer88

sercer88 Emperor

I guess pay attention to Abegweit, who claims to have seen it happen the way explained.

12. ThinkTank

ThinkTank RL Addict

I remember reading here at CFC a detail study on which tile the governor chooses on growth but I cannot find it back. I do remember that there is a difference as to whether the city has 3sfpt or more or not. IIRC when already doing 3sfpt or more, the governor favours high shield tiles; when doing 2sfpt or less, it favours high food tiles.

13. bambam190

bambam190 Chieftain

All right, I let it run on 2 computers last night, I set up simple rules, 2+ wheat on river to get me 10 maps, both computers stopped at 6 maps, none of which met my rules. It seemed to get stuck on the save over feature. I play the basic vannilla version, could that be my problem or is there something I'm missing?

14. EMan

No, vanilla should work fine.
    Are you playing with the latest patch to vanilla? (Viz. v1.29)
    Increase the "time" parameters in the Setup window of MapFinder. :)

15. bambam190

bambam190 Chieftain

we'll try again on a unused computer, and I am playing V1.29.

16. civdude 95

civdude 95 Chieftain

ok question about making maps, how do you make it so you start with certain techs and cant reseach past a certain tech. (tech capping)

17. Rycole2008

Rycole2008 Chieftain

How do you save a screenshot? I think it involves the print screen button but where is it saved and does it need a new folder? thanks

18. againsttheflow

againsttheflow unpolitically uncorrect

It's saved on the clipboard, just go to ms paint, paste and save.

19. Padma

Padma the Inbond Administrator Supporter

You might want to ask that one down in the Creation and Customization forum. ;)

20. todd1701d

todd1701d Chieftain

Hi, I've looked around and cannot find this... how do I disable the intro movies? I've done it before, but can't remember how.

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.