1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Turner, Aug 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tone

Tone Deity Hall of Fame Staff

If there is such a thing as draft time, then I cannot help you. However if you have it confused with draft limit, then this is the maximum number of units you can draft from a city/metro each turn.

2. Aabraxan

Aabraxan Mid-level Micromanager

Seems like the draft limit is referred to in the civilopedia as the "draft rate," so I suspect that's what Simak's referring to.

3. Optional

Optional Deity

A simple question: The Hwach'a, should I build that in a city with a barracks?

I've just started up a game with Korea, and have no experience with them. I read that the Hwach'a can spawn leaders, so I assume that they, different from other artillery units, have an ordinary promotion path. So will they get born as veterans if I build them in a city with a barracks? I'd like to know before I get to that stage in the game...:)

4. againsttheflow

againsttheflow unpolitically uncorrect

Your probably going to have to test that. As you probably already know the Hwach'as don't have any hpts so it would be rather difficult to prove that barracks help. Essentially you'd have to get a leader on its second battle. You could try to see if you can give them extra hpts w/out actually assigning atk or def stats. Then give them extra mov and blitz and create a scenario w/ a whole bunch of them and try bombarding (once a unit is weakened (or maybe its red-lined) then it will automatically upgrade the next battle it wins if it's in the same turn). Remember to give yourself the Heroic Epic to make things easier.

5. NickyH

NickyH Bismarck with lipstick…

How does the shield bonus for industrious civs work? I'm playing Carthage for the moment, and my capitol (built on grass land) is at population level 8, and I still only have one shield in the center. Does it depend on what terrain you build it on?

6. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

They can become elites and make leaders, so I would say it could not hurt. They should then come out as vets.

7. splunge the 2nd

splunge the 2nd King

Does anyone have a good table for worker jobs in various terrain and turn requirements? I'm trying to improve my micromanagement and want to time my roading/10 shields forestry bunuses. Also, I'd like to get more efficient use from my workers as I send a stack of slaves/workers and have them attack a job with no particular plan.

So slaves from industriuous civs work fasster than regular slaves (1/2 x 1 1/2= 3/4 speed)? So they cost more if I buy them?

8. Aabraxan

Check out Cracker's Opening Plays in the War Academy. There's a table of Basic Forestry Operations in there.

Don't know about slaves from industrious civs. I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that all slaves worked at the same speed.

9. sercer88

sercer88 Emperor

I don't know why everyone says you can't tell if a catapult is veteran or elite or regular...I can tell with fairly obvious ease.
    So, after that sort of statement, I'm sure most of you would want something to back my words:

If you have conquests or complete, then you can just look at the green dot signifying if the unit has moved or not. If it is low to the ground, it's regular. If it is medium, then it's a veteran. And, of course, if it is high, then it's an elite! Of course, you would have to practice at it, but it becomes pretty simple to notice that sort of thing if you do it enough. Oh, and this could also work in some instances with PTW and Vanilla: if you move your unit 1 space on a road, and then back to the same location, then it will have a yellow dot.

Oh, and you can double-check this by building a worker in any city (that is 100% your culture citizens,) and also build a worker in any conquered city (that still has all or almost all citizens of a different culture.) Then save and reload the game so that both workers will have the same graphics (just the different name,) and you will notice: the worker you built in the first city will have a higher green dot than the worker you built in the second city. (The worker of your nationality is a "veteran worker," while the slave is a "regular worker.")

10. watorrey

watorrey Deity

That city would have been built on a non bonus grassland. You got your free extra shield when you founded the city.

11. Chamnix

Chamnix Chasing Time

Industrious tribes' bonus shield in the city center doesn't kick in until size 13. For all tribes:

Size 1-6: City center gets the shields based on the unimproved terrain it is on with a minimum of 1 shield. Since unimproved terrain rarely provides more than 1 shield, the city center almost always provides 1 shield at size 1-6. Notable exceptions are plains furs and iron hills.

Size 7-12: City center gets the shields based on the unimproved terrain it is on plus 1. If a city is founded on a regular grassland or flood plains, etc, then you will still be at 1 shield at size 7-12. If you are on a bonus grassland, plains, or hill, etc., then you will have 2 shields at size 7-12. If you are on a plains fur or iron hill, then you will have 3 shields at size 7-12.

Size 13+: All tribes get an additional +1 shield in the city center except industrious tribes who get +2 shields.

12. splunge the 2nd

splunge the 2nd King

It was Cracker's article that got me interested in MM'ing workers in the first place :lol:
    I was hoping for a more comprehensive table including roading mountains/hills etc.

13. Aabraxan

Well, fat lot of good I did! :lol:

Sorry, splunge. I know there is some stuff in Cracker's on hills, jungles, etc., but I don't recall exactly how comprehensive it is. Have you checked the Reference section?

14. TheOverseer714

TheOverseer714 Overseer

I don't have a table of worker tasks made, but I agree that it would be useful. Keep after me, and I'll do it when I can.

Slaves taken by an industrious civ work at the same speed as a non-industrious civ until Replaceable Parts is researched, then they work at the same speed as a pre-RP native worker of that industrious civ. So as an example, you are Persia, you can road a grass tile with 2 native workers in 1 turn. It will take 6 slaves to do it in 1 turn. Research RP, then it only takes 1 worker 1 turn for the same task, or 2 slaves. So that tech is highly desirable to research or purchase ASAP. So they shouldn't cost any more to purchase. I have not tested that, however. The test would be to try buying them from Industrious civs for the same price.

15. Tone

Tone Deity Hall of Fame Staff

Great answer on bonus shields, Chamnix! :goodjob:

On worker actions, remember that it is different for C3C and vanilla/PtW so if you go searching too far back you may not get info that is correct for Conquests.

16. NickyH

NickyH Bismarck with lipstick…

Thanks for the answer, Chamnix! I just entered the middle ages, so I guess I'll have to wait a little while longer for my bonus shields. :lol:

17. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

iirc that was how the slave worker speed was in vanilla, but that got changed, when they nuked Ind trait.

18. againsttheflow

againsttheflow unpolitically uncorrect

That's cool sercer, I never thought of that.

19. Bartleby

Bartleby Remembers laughter

Worker actions; off the top of my head:

Non-industrious native workers, pre replaceable parts
    Road Hill: 6 turns (3 turns post rep.parts) railroad takes twice the worker turns; mine takes the same time as RR.
    Road Mountain: 9 turns (5 turns post rep.parts)
    Roading jungle is the same as roading mountains, native workers take 24 turns to clear jungle (12 after RP).

20. Simak

Simak Chieftain

I guess this is a later game thingie. I haven't seen any possibility of a draft. Is it different then building units with shields? Does it require something, prerequistites?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.